U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,022,544 times

Advertisements

Another three strikes. Comments that place some kind of national quota system for the entire grouping of immigrants, or a notion that there is a cap on all immigrants per year that can come to the United States are wholly off base. A majority of immigrants are not restricted by any quota system at all, and are typically already present in the United States when they even gain legal residency.

Rather than the false limited-seating stadium analogy, let's explain it on an individual basis. A qualified legal immigrant from Mexico dies before picking up their immigrant visa. What happens to that allocation, and how does some other person, of any country, gain the qualification to immigrate based on that death?

Multiply it by the thousands (don't get giddy from all the deaths of Mexicans). How does any nationality qualify to be a potential immigrant (Immigrant Visa level) from that event? Your ratio will change (there is less Mexicans immigrating), but it doesn't allow someone living elsewhere in the world the sponsorship to immigrate.

There is an intent here to change the legal immigration system, when the responses I've seen don't have a clue about how it actually operates...

Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Another three strikes. Comments that place some kind of national quota system for the entire grouping of immigrants, or a notion that there is a cap on all immigrants per year that can come to the United States are wholly off base. A majority of immigrants are not restricted by any quota system at all, and are typically already present in the United States when they even gain legal residency.

Rather than the false limited-seating stadium analogy, let's explain it on an individual basis. A qualified legal immigrant from Mexico dies before picking up their immigrant visa. What happens to that allocation, and how does some other person, of any country, gain the qualification to immigrate based on that death?

Multiply it by the thousands (don't get giddy from all the deaths of Mexicans). How does any nationality qualify to be a potential immigrant (Immigrant Visa level) from that event? Your ratio will change (there is less Mexicans immigrating), but it doesn't allow someone living elsewhere in the world the sponsorship to immigrate.

There is an intent here to change the legal immigration system, when the responses I've seen don't have a clue about how it actually operates...
Nothing wrong with quotas. The US Doesn't "have" to let anybody in. I'd like to see immigration go back to the 1965 rules.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:

Why would we get all giddy about the death of Mexicans? Is your opinion of those of us who are anti-illegal immigration, want fair and diversified quotas for legal immigration and are pro-enforcement of our immigration laws really that low?

This isn't about how our immigration system operates currently to me but changing it so there are equal quotas from different countries each year.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,022,544 times
You say "follow the law", but want to change what that is. I've shown that having less Mexicans doesn't allow for more of other nationalities to qualify for immigration. No one wants to even how their potential immigrants would qualify to come, just that they want less Mexicans.

Let's just clear enough to state it correctly...

Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 PM

19,317 posts, read 20,215,787 times
I don't care about nationalities, races, or cultures. Nor should our legal system.

What our country needs is more skilled and talented people and fewer unskilled and talentless ones. Other countries screen for desirability based on these criteria. Why don't we?

Canada Immigration FAQ - Find Out Who Qualifies for Canada Immigration

Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 AM

1,150 posts, read 992,902 times
Quote:
You say "follow the law", but want to change what that is. I've shown that having less Mexicans doesn't allow for more of other nationalities to qualify for immigration. No one wants to even how their potential immigrants would qualify to come, just that they want less Mexicans.

No one said having less Mexicans would allow more immigrants of other nationalities to qualify for immigration, and I expect you understand this, but just like to pretend to be obtuse for the sake of argument. We're well aware of what it takes to qualify for legal immigration, the applications, fees, health checks, criminal background checks, etc. What was said was that due to the overpopulation of illegal immigrants, who are mostly Mexicans, we don't have the infrastructure to support more immigants from any country. Illegal ialiens are taking up spots, and using resources, which could be allocated to legal immigants. If we have room for 1,000,000 immigrants each year, but 2,000,000 illegal aliens from Mexico enter during that year, where does that leave the legal immigrants?

No one is advocating changng immigration laws either. We just want the laws in effect to be enforced.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

What? One can't seek change to our laws but still follow them as they are written currently until or if they are changed? You're statement makes no sense to me.

I have made my position clear. I am sorry that you don't understand it.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
No one said having less Mexicans would allow more immigrants of other nationalities to qualify for immigration, and I expect you understand this, but just like to pretend to be obtuse for the sake of argument. We're well aware of what it takes to qualify for legal immigration, the applications, fees, health checks, criminal background checks, etc. What was said was that due to the overpopulation of illegal immigrants, who are mostly Mexicans, we don't have the infrastructure to support more immigants from any country. Illegal ialiens are taking up spots, and using resources, which could be allocated to legal immigants. If we have room for 1,000,000 immigrants each year, but 2,000,000 illegal aliens from Mexico enter during that year, where does that leave the legal immigrants?

No one is advocating changng immigration laws either. We just want the laws in effect to be enforced.

Although I totally agree with most of what you said I advocate for changing our immigration "policies" so that we get back to diversified quotas. I do agree that our immigration laws need to be enforced.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,427,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I don't care about nationalities, races, or cultures. Nor should our legal system.

What our country needs is more skilled and talented people and fewer unskilled and talentless ones. Other countries screen for desirability based on these criteria. Why don't we?

Canada Immigration FAQ - Find Out Who Qualifies for Canada Immigration
That was the original premise for legal immigration to America. Canada has merely modeled their immigration system after what used to be the original immigration model created by the US.

During the early planning stages of the NAU the members of the CFR decided it was better to leave our (southern) border wide open. The 1986 amnesty never ended. Technically, we have not been a sovereign nation for almost 3 decades.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Nothing wrong with quotas. The US Doesn't "have" to let anybody in. I'd like to see immigration go back to the 1965 rules.
Yea, i'm pretty sure that's AFTER your ancestors got here, right?

LOL...these folks, i swear.

Arizona will be just fine. I've been here for more than 40 years, and the brown hordes haven't decided to kill us all yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or