U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Reputation: 29220

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have Cities in CA with an ICE agent on the ready at the station.
But what do they do when called?
Remember we're talking about uniformed cops on a scene or traffic stop...
who should have other duties to be getting back to waiting for an answer.

I'm not seeing much more than the same "catch and release" as always.
The 1 in 100,000 that ICE has targeted for other reasons notwithstanding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just the opposite, this is a victory for AZ and other states will follow...

Nita
I heard arizona's bonehead gov. say the same thing. It is simply incorrect. The supreme struck down everything with the exception of item, which was not ripe for review. What did they win? Everything was either ruled unconstitutional are not ripe for review at this time, which means it could be rule unconstitutional once the state of Arizona begins to litigate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Reputation: 38626
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama sued for the portion the court upheld
my point exactly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my point exactly...
Well if that is your point. You are both wrong. They did not uphold that one portion, but did not find it ripe for review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,384 posts, read 4,227,160 times
Reputation: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
This was a great decision because it not only offers some protection to the poorest and most despised people among us who have only did the "crimes" of taking filthy jobs no American would touch and wanting to feed their family BUT, most importantly, it establishes again the SUPREMACY of the Federal Government over the states. This is good for the country.
If that job that no American would take, was all that was available between living and starving without a place to live, My wager is, someone would start working that job. As long oas the federal government is willing to give away tax dollars to support people, it will stay this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,113,732 times
Reputation: 6949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
This was a great decision because it not only offers some protection to the poorest and most despised people among us who have only did the "crimes" of taking filthy jobs no American would touch and wanting to feed their family BUT, most importantly, it establishes again the SUPREMACY of the Federal Government over the states. This is good for the country.
This is a sad day for state's rights. Each state of the union is a sovereign nation of it's own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Arizona
12,727 posts, read 7,352,730 times
Reputation: 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is a sad day for state's rights. Each state of the union is a sovereign nation of it's own.
No it's not and we are reminded of this daily from youth to old age.

"ONE NATION, under GOD, With liberty and justice for all".

Ring a bell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times
Reputation: 8868
If a LEO asks me for ID here in Canada I will tell him to stuff it. I'm not required to identify myself to agents of the state unless they have "Probable cause" to suspect I have committed a crime. No BS probable cause will do either because I would sue and they know it. Without that freedom we really can't call ourselves a free people at all. We are fortunate that our supreme court takes this right seriously and almost all arrests arising out of illegal searches are thrown out.

My son was asked by a cop in Vancouver to empty out his backpack. He said to the cop, "AH, NO WAY, you have no cause to be harrassing me"!!!! When the cop started to insist my boy cut him off and asked him the key question. "Am I free to go"? The cop, lucky for him, must have suspected something was up because he said, "yes, but you are not being very helpful" LOL. My son was actually setting the cop up for a royal screwing because if the cop had said no you are not free to go then the law says that he has placed you under arrest. My son is a lawyer and a rabid civil rights advocate and that cop and his force would have been in very hot water and would have lost the false arrest case brought againsy them without a doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
 
3,688 posts, read 3,117,202 times
Reputation: 1140
So let me see if i have this straight? Our biggest concern is that these illegals are not citizens, and therefore any tax money that goes to help them is wrong? What if we look at it from a different viewpoint. The term "citizen" is one we seem to hold by, but eliminate that term for a minute. What if we look at these illegals as human beings who live in our neighborhoods who hold down jobs and pay plenty in sales tax. Now what if we could also get them to pay federal taxes on earnings?

I worked in an industry where I was constantly around these illegals, and guess what? They're people too. They just lack the technical designation of citizen. But otherwise, they bleed red. Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them? (And btw, I'm a card-carrying Republican, so don't blame my ideas on bleeding heart liberalism)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Arizona
12,727 posts, read 7,352,730 times
Reputation: 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
So let me see if i have this straight? Our biggest concern is that these illegals are not citizens, and therefore any tax money that goes to help them is wrong? What if we look at it from a different viewpoint. The term "citizen" is one we seem to hold by, but eliminate that term for a minute. What if we look at these illegals as human beings who live in our neighborhoods who hold down jobs and pay plenty in sales tax. Now what if we could also get them to pay federal taxes on earnings?

I worked in an industry where I was constantly around these illegals, and guess what? They're people too. They just lack the technical designation of citizen. But otherwise, they bleed red. Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them? (And btw, I'm a card-carrying Republican, so don't blame my ideas on bleeding heart liberalism)

Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them?

America has been doing exactly that throughout it's history. Irish, Jews, Italians, Germans, Chinese and on and on. Now the politicians have made immigration reform a wedge issue. If either side gives an inch, they feel they are losing the political fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top