U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

5,339 posts, read 3,955,209 times

Advertisements

the biggest out cry that I can remember concerning the Arizona law was the profiling that Cops could do by asking for the subjects proof of citizenship.. seems the SCOTUS has upheld that part of the law.. and no one remembers the outcrys.. go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,138,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
This is not Canada.

Are you illegally in Canada?
If I was then it's the responsibility of The Ministry Immigration and no one else. Our LEOs do not concern themselves with matters that are not their responsibility.

It's a pretty poor excuse for a country that claims to value freedom to abuse everyones freedom and excuse it as the need for security from whoever. What we need more than anything in our free societies is freedom from the STATE. The basic nature of all governments is to take away freedoms from the people and the responsibility for all free peoples is to guard those freedoms. Our fathers, grandfathers and greatgrandfathers died for those freedoms and yet so many today will just roll over with a little whine or nothing at all when those freedoms are threatened.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But what do they do when called?
Remember we're talking about uniformed cops on a scene or traffic stop...
who should have other duties to be getting back to waiting for an answer.

I'm not seeing much more than the same "catch and release" as always.
The 1 in 100,000 that ICE has targeted for other reasons notwithstanding
One of the results of upholding that part of the AZ sb1070 law will be that illegal aliens will be scurring off to other states to avoid contact with the law. They did it before when sb1070 wasn't even a law yet just out of fear. That's a win-win for Arizona. Other states will implement the part of sb1070 that was upheld also. Soon there will no place in the U.S. to run to other than sanctuary states and they will bankrupt them in short order and they will learn their lesson also the hard way.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them?

America has been doing exactly that throughout it's history. Irish, Jews, Italians, Germans, Chinese and on and on. Now the politicians have made immigration reform a wedge issue. If either side gives an inch, they feel they are losing the political fight.
We have always excluded illegal aliens regardless of nationality or ethnicity and rightly so!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

12,738 posts, read 7,358,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The jobs these illegal aliens are doing are jobs that Americans have always done and not just in desperate times either. Why shoudn't we despise illegal aliens that have violated our borders and taken American jobs and benefits?
That's simply not true. The nation's produce harvests have always been staffed with seasonal pickers, mostly illegals or those with temporary work permits. Americans will not and have not done this work since the 20s. Wages are too low and the work is too hard, with substandard working conditions.
I recall last year when Georgia imposed strict anti-illegal laws and shortly thereafter when it was time to harvest the state's agriculture crops, the farmers were on the national news showing all the crops rotting in the fields due to a lack of pickers. For weeks there were help wanted posters but nobody responded.

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-25-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM

12,738 posts, read 7,358,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
One of the results of upholding that part of the AZ sb1070 law will be that illegal aliens will be scurring off to other states to avoid contact with the law. They did it before when sb1070 wasn't even a law yet just out of fear. That's a win-win for Arizona. Other states will implement the part of sb1070 that was upheld also. Soon there will no place in the U.S. to run to other than sanctuary states and they will bankrupt them in short order and they will learn their lesson also the hard way.
Your scenario could happen but what is more likely is that that aspect of the law will be challenged as racial profiling and it will go to the SC for review. Remember that the justice dept is in a chokehold fight with the Maracopa Sheriff's Dept. right now over racial profiling charges.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No crows in this cornfield.

This post was in response to someone who stated that the Obama Administration is not deporting illegals. I used a conservative newspaper article to demonstrate that deportation levels are higher than they have ever been in the history of our country under the Obama Administration and much more than the Bush Administration ever was. I despise the one-liners packed with nothing but mis-information with no links to validate. I'll continue to discredit them.
Of course, for some, unless every single illegal in America is deported, it will not be enough. I get that part of the arguement.
I didn't post a link because one has already been posted in here a few times before in regards to what I said.

Yes, I do think our goal should be to deport every single illegal alien from our country but realistically if we got it up to 80% that at least would be more acceptable. Either we have immigration laws or we don't!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
No crows in this cornfield.

This post was in response to someone who stated that the Obama Administration is not deporting illegals. I used a conservative newspaper article to demonstrate that deportation levels are higher than they have ever been in the history of our country under the Obama Administration and much more than the Bush Administration ever was. I despise the one-liners packed with nothing but mis-information with no links to validate. I'll continue to discredit them.
Of course, for some, unless every single illegal in America is deported, it will not be enough. I get that part of the arguement.
Unfortunately, that doesn't include hundreds of thousands of illegal alien fugitives the government acknowledges freely roam our streets. We have no idea where they are, or what threat they may pose to our citizens. Sadly, we must wait until they are arrested for a violent crime to actually realize their threat. Plus, 400,000 out of 12-20+ million is a very tiny drop in the bucket.

Quote:
This is why U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (`ICE') has told the Committee that almost 500,000 immigrant fugitives now roam our streets.
Committee Reports - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - House Report 112-255

Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM

69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
It looks like everyone thinks their side won and most of us are not attoneys so probably do not even completely understand what really happened. I don't know about the rest of you, but I intend on watching both CNN and FOX tonight. Maybe by watching both sides we will get a clearer idea of what this all means.

Nita

Old 06-25-2012, 12:54 PM

39,021 posts, read 23,151,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
the biggest out cry that I can remember concerning the Arizona law was the profiling that Cops could do by asking for the subjects proof of citizenship.. seems the SCOTUS has upheld that part of the law.. and no one remembers the outcrys.. go figure.
Ask yourself this, if there is no law requiring people to carry documentation of their citizenship, then if a police officer asks someone, and they don't have the documentation, what's the police officer going to do? Accompany them home to retrieve it? SCOTUS ruled, they can't compel people to carry documentation to establish citizenship, and they can't detain them in order to obtain such documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or