U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's simply not true. The nation's produce harvests have always been staffed with seasonal pickers, mostly illegals or those with temporary work permits. Americans will not and have not done this work since the 20s. Wages are too low and the work is too hard, with substandard working conditions.
I recall last year when Georgia imposed strict anti-illegal laws and shortly thereafter when it was time to harvest the state's agriculture crops, the farmers were on the national news showing all the crops rotting in the fields due to a lack of pickers. For weeks there were help wanted posters but nobody responded.
Oh, here we go with the ole crop picking argument again. For the umpteenth time only 3% of illegal aliens are picking crops. For agricultural workers we have unlimited visas for that. The other 97% of illegal aliens are doing jobs that Americans have always done.

It was Georgia's own fault for not using those visas instead of hiring illegal aliens instead to increase their profits. Sorry, but I didn't pull out my crying towel for them. They were the victim of their own stupidity and greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I hail this SC decision and now LE officers can actually ask if these illegals are in our country legaly or not. A`big step in the right direction!!
I guess you missed his latest directive. After today's ruling, he ordered DHS NOT to cooperate with law enforcement in Arizona.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I guess you missed his latest directive. After today's ruling, he ordered DHS NOT to cooperate with law enforcement in Arizona.
Time for Joe to expand his tent camp. Those of us that care could contribute to a fund for the cost of detaining illegals until the Obama gang is gone from power. It's also time for the AZ guard to take over securing the border.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Your scenario could happen but what is more likely is that that aspect of the law will be challenged as racial profiling and it will go to the SC for review. Remember that the justice dept is in a chokehold fight with the Maracopa Sheriff's Dept. right now over racial profiling charges.
That is one of the reasons why it went to the SC in the first place. The racial profiling criers just lost this morning. The Justice Dept. hasn't proved a thing about Sheriff Joe even though they keep trying.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM

10,443 posts, read 8,571,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Feds suspend immigration enforcement program after Arizona court ruling | Fox News

Quote:
Federal officials said the program known as 287(g) would be immediately rescinded in Arizona. That program was a partnership between federal and local governments, and allowed local authorities to make immigration-based arrests.
Officials also said Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be selective in responding to the expected increase in calls from Arizona and other police agencies about immigration status of people they pull over. Officials said ICE will not respond to the scene unless the person in question meets certain criteria -- such as being wanted for a felony.

Read more: Feds suspend immigration enforcement program after Arizona court ruling | Fox News
Really, I want to know the answer to this question. What recourse do States have if the Federal gov't does not enforce the law??

Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,958,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The Court remanded 2b to the state courts to give them an opportunity to rule on it.

This is a slap in the face to Arizona's idiotic attempt to over-rule federal law and a well grounded decision.
How is it idiotic? The whole reason AZ enacted these types of enforcement laws is precisely because the feds don't do their job.

Illegals do not belong here, they break our laws, and bankrupt our economy, and taking our subsidies. Tax payers are forced to educate them and their children, and these children impede the learning process in our schools, due to never having been to school previously, and not speaking the language. Let's also mention the amount of AZ cops who have been killed by illegals.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ask yourself this, if there is no law requiring people to carry documentation of their citizenship, then if a police officer asks someone, and they don't have the documentation, what's the police officer going to do? Accompany them home to retrieve it? SCOTUS ruled, they can't compel people to carry documentation to establish citizenship, and they can't detain them in order to obtain such documentation.
There never was any requirement to prove citizenship, just that you are in the country legally. A simple DL or state ID or green card would prove that. Most sane people would be carrying DL while driving. Legal immigrants are already required to carry their green cards.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM

387 posts, read 510,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's why I prefaced it with perhaps. I asked this question before and no one answered. What recourse do the States have if the Federal gov't refuses to enforce the law?
States can't do anything without DHS co-operation Arizona dont
have access to immigration database ICE has said today no detainers
will be issued unless an alien has a prior felony and no extra
staff will be posted to answer requests from Aruzona police
to chk immigration status

Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,958,482 times
Quote:
So you say...........

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office.

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration
Yes, but what is not being disclosed, is that illegal immigration has also increased since the Bush administration. Our bleack economy has seen very little change, and in spite of the media indicating that there are fewer immigrants coming here due to less opportunity, people coming here from the Third World, places like Mexico, Dominican Rep, Haiti, Asia, Africa, don't really care about the state of our economy. They want to come here regardless.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Feds suspend immigration enforcement program after Arizona court ruling | Fox News

Really, I want to know the answer to this question. What recourse do States have if the Federal gov't does not enforce the law??
When will the citizens of this country stand up and hold our government accountable? This is such a travesty. I suppose now, Obama will order the feds to detain citizens who dare disagree with his policies. After this, nothing will surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or