U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,584 posts, read 7,995,916 times
Reputation: 4151

Advertisements

The Supreme Court ruled today that state or local cops can legally ask someone for proof that he's in the country legally if they suspect he's an illegal alien, once they stop him for some other reason (traffic stop, etc.).

With that now in place, will we keep seeing the continued flood of illegal aliens crossing the border into the United States?

IMO every little bit we put into place to make it more uncomfortable for illegal aliens to live here, will help reduce the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Supreme Court ruled today that state or local cops can legally ask someone for proof that he's in the country legally if they suspect he's an illegal alien, once they stop him for some other reason (traffic stop, etc.).

With that now in place, will we keep seeing the continued flood of illegal aliens crossing the border into the United States?

IMO every little bit we put into place to make it more uncomfortable for illegal aliens to live here, will help reduce the problem.
Hard to say since Obama the Dictator after the SC ruling today told Arizona that they can call if they have detained an illegal alien but their call will be ignored by ICE unless they have a felon in custody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,653,782 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Supreme Court ruled today that state or local cops can legally ask someone for proof that he's in the country legally if they suspect he's an illegal alien, once they stop him for some other reason (traffic stop, etc.).

With that now in place, will we keep seeing the continued flood of illegal aliens crossing the border into the United States?

IMO every little bit we put into place to make it more uncomfortable for illegal aliens to live here, will help reduce the problem.
I would guess unless there's a flood of high paying jobs in Mexico they'll keep coming. That Arizona passed a law doesn't mean that there aren't any more illegals in that state.

What really needs to happen is to hold corporations and business owners accountable for employing illegals. The only problem is that they have the party that's supposed to be against illegal immigration in their pocket. There's a reason why the Republican Party in states with a lot of agriculture aren't pushing laws like Arizona. There's also a reason why Republicans didn't do ANYTHING on illegal immigration during Bush's time.

Of course, most of the people who are pissed off about illegal immigration will vote Republican anyways, so why should the Republican Party deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I would guess unless there's a flood of high paying jobs in Mexico they'll keep coming. That Arizona passed a law doesn't mean that there aren't any more illegals in that state.

What really needs to happen is to hold corporations and business owners accountable for employing illegals. The only problem is that they have the party that's supposed to be against illegal immigration in their pocket. There's a reason why the Republican Party in states with a lot of agriculture aren't pushing laws like Arizona. There's also a reason why Republicans didn't do ANYTHING on illegal immigration during Bush's time.

Of course, most of the people who are pissed off about illegal immigration will vote Republican anyways, so why should the Republican Party deal with it?
Both parties have been guilty of not enforcing our immigration laws. Don't just blame this on the Republicans. There are rich corporations run by both party members who use cheap, illegal labor. I hold the Democrats and in particular Omaba responsible for the past 4 years because he keeps promising them amnesty to gain the Hispanic vote.

There are unlimited visas for agricultural workers and only 3% of illegal aliens are doing those jobs so that industry isn't the real problem. It is the industries that the other 97% of illegal aliens that are working where the real problem lays.

Obama and the Dems had control of both houses of congress for quite awhile. Why didn't they do anything about this? The Republicans are the party that have introduced anti-illegal immigration bills, not the Democrats nor Obama. If I were you I would get my facts straight.

Have you forgotten the numerous raids that occured under Bush? Some employers were fined and jailed. Yes, we need to do more but the problem is proving that an employer "knowingly" hired illegal aliens. These illegals provide some very authentic looking fake documents at the time of hiring. Many times it is the personnel dept. that is guilty not the owner of the business itself. That is why we need to make e-verify mandated in every workplace then neither the employer nor the illegal alien will continue to get away with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,511,992 times
Reputation: 1911
You know, I am less concerned with illegals being questioned as I am with Americans or legal residents being questioned and potentially held. The problem is simply that this policy opens up a pathway to profiling simply on looks, accent, or name alone.

You look hispanic, you sound hispanic, you have a hispanic name - chances are that you must be an illegal. How would you, as an American feel, if cops treated you as a suspect simply for looking the way you do? I am sure the African-American community can tell us exactly how that plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,908,068 times
Reputation: 7626
^^^ If you can't speak a word of English it's pretty sure one is an illegal alien....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,510 posts, read 8,626,420 times
Reputation: 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Both parties have been guilty of not enforcing our immigration laws. Don't just blame this on the Republicans. There are rich corporations run by both party members who use cheap, illegal labor. I hold the Democrats and in particular Omaba responsible for the past 4 years because he keeps promising them amnesty to gain the Hispanic vote.

There are unlimited visas for agricultural workers and only 3% of illegal aliens are doing those jobs so that industry isn't the real problem. It is the industries that the other 97% of illegal aliens that are working where the real problem lays.

Obama and the Dems had control of both houses of congress for quite awhile. Why didn't they do anything about this? The Republicans are the party that have introduced anti-illegal immigration bills, not the Democrats nor Obama. If I were you I would get my facts straight.

Have you forgotten the numerous raids that occured under Bush? Some employers were fined and jailed. Yes, we need to do more but the problem is proving that an employer "knowingly" hired illegal aliens. These illegals provide some very authentic looking fake documents at the time of hiring. Many times it is the personnel dept. that is guilty not the owner of the business itself. That is why we need to make e-verify mandated in every workplace then neither the employer nor the illegal alien will continue to get away with this.
My husband works in the landscaping industry, one that is rife with illegals. They have already figured out a way to get past e-verify. They buy SSNs from prisoners and get the accompanying proper paperwork, which passes e-verify no problem. His company has done everything right and they still had a bunch just arrested and deported recently. Luckily once the agents checked over everything the company did, ICE did confirm the company did everything right but it was the paperwork they've been able to get that is so good that is the issue.

By the way, ICE caught these illegals because they were cheating on their taxes, claiming 10+ dependents and getting back refunds in the $20K+ range. So when people tell me that illegals don't cause taxpayer issues and are otherwise law-abiding citizens? Well, I can find twice as many instances of that NOT being the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,653,782 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Both parties have been guilty of not enforcing our immigration laws. Don't just blame this on the Republicans. There are rich corporations run by both party members who use cheap, illegal labor. I hold the Democrats and in particular Omaba responsible for the past 4 years because he keeps promising them amnesty to gain the Hispanic vote.

There are unlimited visas for agricultural workers and only 3% of illegal aliens are doing those jobs so that industry isn't the real problem. It is the industries that the other 97% of illegal aliens that are working where the real problem lays.

Obama and the Dems had control of both houses of congress for quite awhile. Why didn't they do anything about this? The Republicans are the party that have introduced anti-illegal immigration bills, not the Democrats nor Obama. If I were you I would get my facts straight.

Have you forgotten the numerous raids that occured under Bush? Some employers were fined and jailed. Yes, we need to do more but the problem is proving that an employer "knowingly" hired illegal aliens. These illegals provide some very authentic looking fake documents at the time of hiring. Many times it is the personnel dept. that is guilty not the owner of the business itself. That is why we need to make e-verify mandated in every workplace then neither the employer nor the illegal alien will continue to get away with this.
Do a survey around here on how people vote. Most people who are angry on this issue vote Republican. Thus, it's mostly the Republican's fault for not doing anything about this. They didn't do anything when they had all of the power in 2000 to 2006 and now they would rather obstruct, fear monger and fund raise instead of working towards any sort of compromise. That's why they get most of the blame.

The percentage breakdowns really don't matter. There are plenty of commercial interests that are against any crackdown on illegal immigrants. The Republican Party in Washington State, for example, is quiet on the issue. There are strong economic interests who quietly want the status quo. The right wingers want to whine about Obama on this issue, when they'd be better served calling out their own party.

True Democrats did have power in 2009, but not enough to get around a filibuster. They also had that amount of power for only 2 years and spent most of that time dealing with an economic mess they inherited. Obama also needed all of his political capital to get healthcare reform done. Many Presidents before him had failed in their attempts.

In the end, enforcing laws against the illegals themselves is too complicated, too costly and it doesn't work. Make the jobs they came here for go away, and the problem would largely solve itself. Of course, that means holding to account the businesses who hire illegals. That means going against those with money and Republicans aren't going to go against corporate interests.

The problem likely will never be fixed. The right is too polarized to compromise and as much as the left is willing to compromise, it's pointless if compromise isn't possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,978,503 times
Reputation: 12725
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You know, I am less concerned with illegals being questioned as I am with Americans or legal residents being questioned and potentially held. The problem is simply that this policy opens up a pathway to profiling simply on looks, accent, or name alone.

You look hispanic, you sound hispanic, you have a hispanic name - chances are that you must be an illegal. How would you, as an American feel, if cops treated you as a suspect simply for looking the way you do? I am sure the African-American community can tell us exactly how that plays out.
I disagree. The "reasonable cause" qualifier was very clear. Profiling in law enforcement is tracked very carefully these days. I read somewhere that in my state leo's question the citizenship status of every person arrested at the time of booking. This is not profiling since every person arrested is asked the same question regardless of race, gender, etc... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,344,190 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My husband works in the landscaping industry, one that is rife with illegals. They have already figured out a way to get past e-verify. They buy SSNs from prisoners and get the accompanying proper paperwork, which passes e-verify no problem. His company has done everything right and they still had a bunch just arrested and deported recently. Luckily once the agents checked over everything the company did, ICE did confirm the company did everything right but it was the paperwork they've been able to get that is so good that is the issue.

By the way, ICE caught these illegals because they were cheating on their taxes, claiming 10+ dependents and getting back refunds in the $20K+ range. So when people tell me that illegals don't cause taxpayer issues and are otherwise law-abiding citizens? Well, I can find twice as many instances of that NOT being the case.
I will definitely agree with you on this. I too know many illegals in the landscaping and construction filed. But the people hiring them, are just as much as fault as the illegals themselves.

I squealed on my contractor in 2010 an idiot who thought he would put one over on me by hiring a team of non skilled illegals, little did he know, that this Italian would go toe to toe with him being Italain, and gave him a fight of his life. And would happily do it again in a heartbeat.

I ended up getting a all americal legal crew, after checking things out for myself. But the a-hole ended up walking at the end, because he could not stand the fact, that i knew what he was trying to pull, and he did not count on the fact, my hubby and i HAVE done all this work they were hired to do when we did not have our own business, he could not stand the fact, that i called him out, on everything he was trying to do, fast and cheaply. Most things turned out great, except for the fact, that at the end when he walked hubby and i ended up doing those things ourselves, and were glad to get rid of the a-hole.

Inspector asked us, if we were ever in the business, and that our work was superb.

It was a huge project, adding on many new room additions, one a entertain room, that my friends remind me how lucky we are, looks just like a movie theater with a speaker system of supreme quality. Popcorn machines, hot dog machines, snow cone machine, many different soda fountains, and theater seats to die for. Even the curtains come down and open up, it really is so cool. Remodeling certain rooms. adding built ins, built in niches, built in sitting area in nook with built in hutches, a huge master bath shower at 10 feet with every freature and turned out beautiful, surprised it did. But i watched the guys like hawks, made them crazy, but i did not care.

Added another 3 car garage, with built in tool cases, built in desk and benches, cabinets, skylights and fan, and looks like a house on the outside. Added more RV ACCESS so that we now have space for 11 cars to park. It was huge project, but he should never had bid the probject low, and then try and stick me with illegals, but in the end he got his, and so did the illegals.

My point those hiring illegals, are just as much as fault as the illegals themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top