U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Quote:
It has been estimated that anywhere from 250,000 to 500,000 Hispanics served in the armed forces during World War II. This represents a range of 2.5 to 5% of all persons who served during the war.
If it hadn't been for them, we would all be speaking German and Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM

114 posts, read 303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If it hadn't been for them, we would all be speaking German and Japanese.
I hope you don't mean that in the way I am reading it!!!

The HISPANICS saved us in WWII from having to speak Japanese or German??

you're kidding right?? I mean forget all the Whites and blacks that were there on the front line and the main percentage versus your 5%

So thank god for the hispanics. otherwise we'd be speaking Japanese or German and NOT spanish... pppfftt... This French-american woman will NEVER learn spanish. Only English and then french as my second language

If I am reading it incorrectly and you were being sarcastic then here is an apology before hand LOL

Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post

The HISPANICS saved us in WWII from having to speak Japanese or German?? LMFAO

you're kidding right?? I mean forget all the Whites and blacks that were there on the front line and the main percentage versus your 5%

So thank god for the hispanics. otherwise we'd be speaking Japanese or German and NOT spanish... pppfftt... This French-american woman will NEVER learn spanish. Only English and then french as my second language
I think she was being sarcastic.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think she was being sarcastic.
I was. They were all of 2.5-5% of the armed forces and they are getting all excited because they were not given, in their opinion, enough air time?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 PM

114 posts, read 303,163 times
Quote:
I was. They were all of 2.5-5% of the armed forces and they are getting all excited because they were not given, in their opinion, enough air time?
Yeah I figured it out after the fact.. Sorry.. Brain fart.. long day at work and trying to relax

Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Hell, what about people coming from other countries becoming citizens and joining the force to defend amercia, happened with my uncle. Where's his airtime. He went up against a country he came from.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Ruben Navarrette Jr. is the brunet 'Hispanic' version of Jesse Jackson IMHO-------and, would probably sell out his so-called 'homies' if it served his purposes.

Besides: what I find interesting is why so many Mestizos in particular embrace 'Hispanic' culture-------the culture of the conquistador who in many cases raped the indigenous women of what would be today's Mexico yet the 'unacknowledged' children of such crimes prefer the former vs. Native American beliefs.

For the record: a Mexican; born and raised SOB told me the above sordid tale.

As for Navarrette's beliefs that Mexican culture will take over the USA; I think not, if nothing else, Mexico's plummeting birthrate puts it in danger of being taken over by the USA. If not all the way to Belize; at least the tier of Mexican states from Baja California (both Norte and Del Sur), Sonora, Chihuahua as well as Tamaulpuis (sp) and Nuevo Leon may devolve toi the USA.

Apparently; many of the northern Mexicans are becoming increasingly tired of subsidizing Chiapas, etc.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post

The HISPANICS saved us in WWII from having to speak Japanese or German??

If I am reading it incorrectly and you were being sarcastic then here is an apology before hand LOL
Remember prior to ca. 1970 most Hispanics were White, legally speaking------even most of the obviously indigenous ones.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hell, what about people coming from other countries becoming citizens and joining the force to defend amercia, happened with my uncle. Where's his airtime. He went up against a country he came from.
One of my uncles was a corpsman in the Navy. He went in with the second wave at Tarawa. The other was a gunner on a B-24 based in North Africa. I cannot imagine either of them demanding that they be given more airtime in a WW2 documentary.
They rarely spoke of their wartime experiences. Things were very different back then. Going to war was simply something they had to do. It was that or watch the world overrun by the Axis. They never would have expected (or wanted) people to be bowing and scraping at their feet because they had defended their country. Doing so was second nature to men like them.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 PM

14,218 posts, read 7,406,947 times
I wonder how many hispanics would sign up if we (USA) went to war with mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration