U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I wonder how many hispanics would sign up if we (USA) went to war with mexico?
I'm not hispanic, but I'll sign up!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I wonder how many hispanics would sign up if we (USA) went to war with mexico?
Truth?

It may depend upon which group of Hispanics; Puerto Ricans, Spaniards, etc may very well want to kick 'ass' SOB.

As for those of us of Mexican heritage; it could go either way.

I doubt a war between the USA and Mexico would likely happen; now a civil war in Mexico is not unlikely between the relatively prosperous north and impoverished south.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 PM

14,195 posts, read 7,399,448 times
I doubt it too. Its pathetic, they come here because their homeland sucks, then fly their homeland flag. Why not try to fix the problems at home if they have so much pride, perhaps they are cowards?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,289,698 times
Thist thread is going nowhere.
Closed.
Yac.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:51 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,489,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
You gotta admit that is true though. Actually much of what he says is true, if you have watched "The War" you will have noticed there were many Hispanics in WWII.
Never mind....

Old 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,940,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
You know what??? who the HELL cares. Not everyone gets represented in EVERYTHING. But of course the hispanics want the entire world to bow before them and comfort and coddle them (and let's not forget the Muslims are the same way)
i am the first to crusade against the evils of illegal immigration, but what ruben says is true. my uncle johnny and uncle roy (3rd generation mex americans) fought bravely in the d-day invasion, johnny survived, roy did not. THAT is a BIG DEAL! There were many injustices done to mex american gis when they came back from the War, most notoriously the refusal of a funeral parlor in three rivers, texas that refused to provide services for pvt felix longoria, because it had a policy of not serving mex americans. Senator Lyndon Johnson had to intervene and eventually led to a full honors burial in arlington national cemetery. There were also other examples where de facto segregation was the law in the southwestern united states, despite that these brave men had fought for this country to be "free". that no-talent burns certainly included every other ethnic group except hispanic americans. You are way out of line to say that hispanics want to be "coddled and bowed to". truth is that the recognition has never been there from that pitiful all-white casted "saving private ryan" to this film which seemingly included every other american ethnicity (japanese, italians, blacks) EXCEPT hispanics. you should be ashamed.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
One of my uncles was a corpsman in the Navy. He went in with the second wave at Tarawa. The other was a gunner on a B-24 based in North Africa. I cannot imagine either of them demanding that they be given more airtime in a WW2 documentary.
They rarely spoke of their wartime experiences. Things were very different back then. Going to war was simply something they had to do. It was that or watch the world overrun by the Axis. They never would have expected (or wanted) people to be bowing and scraping at their feet because they had defended their country. Doing so was second nature to men like them.

It was also second nature with mexican americans that fought in the war. as i mentioned before, my uncles roy and johnny fought in the d-day invasion, one survivng, one not surviving. but it seems to me that people like your uncle get recognized ALL of the time. Every movie (think john wayne, from here to eternity,private ryan) depicts white people exclusively. even though whites were the indisputable majority at the time, it shouldn't excuse the writers of history to exclude the others who contributed to the war effort. to burns' credit, he did include black americans and nissei. i was pretty shocked at that! but at that time, mexican americans were a distinct group who also did not enjoy full equality in the country. burns made the point very clear of the hardships endured by blacks and japanese americans in the film. why couldn't he have depicted mex americans in the same way? nobody is asking to kiss anybody's butt, just some recognition for what we as mexican americans went through to make a country live up to what it should be. you mentioned that your uncles rarely talked about it. curious, because uncle johnny never really talked about it either, other than to tell me on his death bed that they were the most gruesome sights that he ever witnessed in his life. i wonder if that is common for world war 2 vets to want to forget that part of their lives?

Last edited by wehotex; 09-29-2007 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It was also second nature with mexican americans that fought in the war. as i mentioned before, my uncles roy and johnny fought in the d-day invasion, one survivng, one not surviving. but it seems to me that people like your uncle get recognized ALL of the time. Every movie (think john wayne, from here to eternity,private ryan) depicts white people exclusively. even though whites were the indisputable majority at the time, it shouldn't excuse the writers of history to exclude the others who contributed to the war effort. to burns' credit, he did include black americans and nissei. i was pretty shocked at that! but at that time, mexican americans were a distinct group who also did not enjoy full equality in the country. burns made the point very clear of the hardships endured by blacks and japanese americans in the film. why couldn't he have depicted mex americans in the same way? nobody is asking to kiss anybody's butt, just some recognition for what we as mexican americans went through to make a country live up to what it should be. you mentioned that your uncles rarely talked about it. curious, because uncle johnny never really talked about it either, other than to tell me on his death bed that they were the most gruesome sights that he ever witnessed in his life. i wonder if that is common for world war 2 vets to want to forget that part of their lives?
Why can't the Burns film be seen as Americans defending America? My uncles fought for ALL citizens of the US. When the corpsman in the South Pacific was called to treat a wounded Marine, he did not give a hoot if they were black, white, yellow or brown. Most of the time he was too busy to even notice. If they had been in combat long enough or it was night, he could not have told what color they were anyhow. See, If you are in a foxhole being shot at, I doubt you are going to give a d**** what color the guy next to you is as long as he can shoot back.

African- Americans, women, Mexican Americans, and Nessei all served admirably. There were undoubtedly gays in the military in WW2. What about Hindus or Sikhs? Or conscientious objectors serving on the home front? Or Mormons? Or people with high blood pressure? Should we have to slice and dice a documentary into an infinite number of pieces so that each group get their 'fair share'?
Why can't we be seen as 'Americans'?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,221 times
Default agree

Everything this guy rights is pro-illegal immigration based. Maybe we should arrest him for advocating breaking the law.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Why can't the Burns film be seen as Americans defending America? My uncles fought for ALL citizens of the US. When the corpsman in the South Pacific was called to treat a wounded Marine, he did not give a hoot if they were black, white, yellow or brown. Most of the time he was too busy to even notice. If they had been in combat long enough or it was night, he could not have told what color they were anyhow. See, If you are in a foxhole being shot at, I doubt you are going to give a d**** what color the guy next to you is as long as he can shoot back.

African- Americans, women, Mexican Americans, and Nessei all served admirably. There were undoubtedly gays in the military in WW2. What about Hindus or Sikhs? Or conscientious objectors serving on the home front? Or Mormons? Or people with high blood pressure? Should we have to slice and dice a documentary into an infinite number of pieces so that each group get their 'fair share'?
Why can't we be seen as 'Americans'?
there is some truth in what you say, some it sarcastic though. i doubt that there were many hindus, sikhs fighting in wwII. but i think that by calling everybody "all american" in that era would be like re-writing history. ALL shared in the struggle as burns' film so poignantly tells. You can't help but shed tears when you see how these brave guys risked life, limb and psyche so that their countrymen could be free. The reality of those times was that there was widespread segregation, discrimination, limited opportunities for certain Americans who still fought valiantly for the ideal that the country could be a better place for their children. in particular, i think that the exclusion of mex americans has been a pattern for ken burns (or so i've read). he did other documentaries on jazz and baseball and gave very little attention to latinos in baseball (imagine?) to pretend that mex americans were typical americans who were mainstreamed into every walk of life would not be reality. so, i still believe that recognition was due in this film, recognition long overdue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration