U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM

19,481 posts, read 10,267,790 times
IMO most Americans agree with the President because most like myself are tired of the no compromise approach. I don't agree with the move, but at least it is a move. I honestly believe that there are much better solutions available. I also know that they are less than relevant as long as our gov choses to do nothing but talk. It really is a shame.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 AM

16,763 posts, read 12,434,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
IMO most Americans agree with the President because most like myself are tired of the no compromise approach. I don't agree with the move, but at least it is a move. I honestly believe that there are much better solutions available. I also know that they are less than relevant as long as our gov choses to do nothing but talk. It really is a shame.
Fair enough,

What exactly, in your opinion, is "wrong" with our current system? What should be the headcount of the U.S.?

We are at 313,834,154 and counting with a net gain of 1 extra person every 13 seconds.

US & World Population Clock - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM

15,181 posts, read 9,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You are being a hypocrite here IMO. You discount scientific polls that goes against your position, yet you point out online comments on articles to support your claim that there is overwhelming opposition to the president's immigration policies? Off course the vocal anti-immigrant minority have nothing better to do than spend their whole day on the internet complaining about the "invasion". If you visit sites like ALIPAC etc, they instruct their members to go make comments on articles and vote in online polls to try to make it look like the majority of Americans are hardliners on this issue. I guess we will just have to wait till november for the outcome of the election. According to you and other hardliners on this board, Obama should not stand a chance of winning right? We shall see .

BTW, I'm sure hardliners have ALL sorts of excuses lined up when Obama wins another term!! That's what you guys are good at...making excuses when things don't go your way.
You already know my opinion of polls. In fact, you have commented numerous times on my lack of faith in these so-called scientific poll results. So, why are you pretending I'm a "hypocrite" for not giving much credence to this? However, given your unwavering belief in polls, I assume you also accept poll results indicating the majority of citizens support SB 1070. It is highly unlikely the majority of citizens support Obama's refusal to enforce our immigration laws, while simultaneously supporting tough anti-illegal laws.

Quote:
In anticipation of the Supreme Court’s S.B. 1070 decision expected later this month, CBS polling showed that 52 percent found the bill “about right,” 11 percent thought it “didn’t go far enough” and 33 percent said it goes “too far.” Read another way, the poll’s results indicate that at least 63 percent of Americans (two out of three) agree with S.B. 1070. [Poll: Most Americans Think Immigration Law Is “About Right,” by Luci Madison, CBS News, June 12, 2012]
Poll: Most Americans think Arizona immigration law is "about right" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I have never implied that Obama will lose the election in November. Has he lost support? Indeed he has. Has he gained support from pro-illegal Hispanics? Absolutely. Frankly, I believe he will win, even if it requires fraud. Moreover, flip-flopping Romney isn't exactly a formidable opponent.

Why mention Alipac, while conveniently ignoring DAP, which routinely instructs members to "bombard" online discussions, as well as advising members on methods to submit multiple poll responses. Let's not play games. Regardless, we are all entitled to an opinion. I'm not sure why you are passing judgment on the lifestyles of people you do not know, simply because they express an opposing view.

The truth is, MOST citizens of this country -- Democrats, Independents, and Republicans, oppose illegal immigration. Your refusal to accept this simple fact changes absolutely nothing. Furthermore, as I previously stated, support for a select group of illegals does not translate into support for illegal aliens in general, or for Obama's amnesty agenda.

BTW, why are you laughing at the thought of an Obama victory? How many of his immigration promises has he delivered to date? Don't be surprised if August 15 becomes another ruse like his promise to tackle CIR during his first 100 days in office. Even if they implement the application process, it will takes months before anything is done. . . . if ever. By then, the election will be over.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM

14,307 posts, read 5,687,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You are being a hypocrite here IMO. You discount scientific polls that goes against your position, yet you point out online comments on articles to support your claim that there is overwhelming opposition to the president's immigration policies? Off course the vocal anti-immigrant minority have nothing better to do than spend their whole day on the internet complaining about the "invasion". If you visit sites like ALIPAC etc, they instruct their members to go make comments on articles and vote in online polls to try to make it look like the majority of Americans are hardliners on this issue. I guess we will just have to wait till november for the outcome of the election. According to you and other hardliners on this board, Obama should not stand a chance of winning right? We shall see .

BTW, I'm sure hardliners have ALL sorts of excuses lined up when Obama wins another term!! That's what you guys are good at...making excuses when things don't go your way.
Please refrain from calling us anti-"illegal" immigrationists as being anti-"immigrant". They are two entirely different groups. I see this dishonesty in just about every pro-illegal alien site. If 12-20 million illegal aliens are here uninvited within our laws it sure seems like an invasion to me. An invasion doesn't have to be an armed one.

What is your side's excuse for the SC upholding the enforcement part of sb1070 this week? That didn't go your way. I wouldn't count my chickens about Obama being re-elected if I were you. He ticked off a lot of Americans (and one doesn't have to be a hardliner to want our immigration laws enforced) with his back door amnesties of late.

Your side won't accept our sources for viable stats and vice versa so isn't this hypocricy claim of yours a wash?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,656,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Fair enough,

What exactly, in your opinion, is "wrong" with our current system? What should be the headcount of the U.S.?

We are at 313,834,154 and counting with a net gain of 1 extra person every 13 seconds.

US & World Population Clock - U.S. Census Bureau
Why are you basing your comment on total U.S. population, with legal and illegal immigration combined into a single statistic?...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why are you basing your comment on total U.S. population, with legal and illegal immigration combined into a single statistic?...
Uh, he was merely reiterating how fast our population is growing. His response was to tinman's amnesty stance when we don't need to add millions of illegal aliens permanently to our society based on the above.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,656,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Uh, he was merely reiterating how fast our population is growing. His response was to tinman's amnesty stance when we don't need to add millions of illegal aliens permanently to our society based on the above.
Legal immigration, and thus its impact on U.S. population growth, is at much higher levels than that of illegal immigration. To me the response is counter-intuitive to just being against illegal immigration. It didn't really seem to fit in here.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM

15,181 posts, read 9,481,027 times
Quote:
Legal immigration, and thus its impact on U.S. population growth, is at much higher levels than that of illegal immigration. To me the response is counter-intuitive to just being against illegal immigration. It didn't really seem to fit in here.
Not true. But, I would have to be off-topic to explain.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
But why also add millions of illegal aliens to our population growth permanently aka amnesty was my point. Why don't you get that part? Why are you spinning it into the legal immigraton issue? IMO, legal immigration could be reduced at this time since our economy is in the dumpster and jobs and resources are scarce. You don't think that is common sense?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 1,097,194 times
If you said to people: Americans have a fifteen percent underemployment rate right. Millions of Americans are either out of work or can't find a decent job to support themselves. Do you agree with President Obama's decision to hand out over a million job permits to illegal aliens who are mostly from Mexico? Do you think we should add a million Mexicans to our population if they manage to come here at a young age, get a GED and not commit a serious crime?

Because that's exactly what Obama did. He only did it so he can pander to the hispanic lobby. How many people would approve of his actions if they knew the actual facts about both the economy and the people we're handing citizenship to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration