U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But why also add millions of illegal aliens to our population growth permanently aka amnesty was my point. Why don't you get that part? Why are you spinning it into the legal immigraton issue? IMO, legal immigration could be reduced at this time since our economy is in the dumpster and jobs and resources are scarce. You don't think that is common sense?
He makes a good point. If you guys were really worried about jobs, you'd be against ALL forms of immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Even if not physically deported, there have been thousands of adult U.S. citizens wrongly detained by ICE each year, sometimes for lengthy periods of time...
Thousands annually? Source? Even if mistaken for an illegal, most citizens can easily prove their true identity. I certainly can. Let's not forget, citizens are also convicted of crimes they did not commit, receiving lengthy prison sentences, only to be exonerated years later through DNA or other irrefutable evidence. In fact, some have served more than 20 years in prison. Some have even been executed. Should we not prosecute for fear of convicting the innocent? The point being, no system is foolproof.

As you know, federal law requires visa holders to carry their documents at all times. Therefore, why should SB 1070 create a problem for a legal non-citizen? They know the requirements. If they choose not to comply, they must suffer the consequences. On the other hand, illegals do not have legal documents. IMO, that's the real reason pro-illegals oppose SB 1070. They simply want to protect illegal aliens, either because they have illegal family and friends, employ/exploit them, or support open borders.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
I am not a "Hispanic-American", I am "unhyphenated"...

Even if not physically deported, there have been thousands of adult U.S. citizens wrongly detained by ICE each year, sometimes for lengthy periods of time...

I rather like former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, so it isn't the whole Republican party. For a number of years I was a registered Republican, but feel that the party left me, rather than the other way around. The way I see the stupid stuff now, like debates on whether Obama is bowing to Calderon, or idiotic "Birther" claims, is definitely going to make me stay away.
Uh, where did I say that YOU are a Hispanic-American? To my knowledge you ancestors didn't come from Spain or any other Latino countries. So that's not possible unless you have adopted the Hispanic culture as your own and primarily speak Spanish. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen that occur though.

So what do we do, stop enforcing our immigration laws because some mistakes have been made? I doubt that thousands of American citizens have been wrongfully deported. Link, please. Why didn't these citizens have a DL or state ID? That makes no sense at all.

I never said that YOU objected to the entire Republican party. The person I was replying to and many others in here have though and mainly because they are pro-laws like sb1070 and opposed to amnesty. Obama IS pandering to the Mexican government. He even allowed Calderon to demonize our immigration laws right in front of our congressmen. Not all Republicans are birthers either. I know I am not one.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Why are you perplexed? We have a huge unemployment rate. Obama just handed out a million job permits to Mexican nationals for no other reason other than pander to hispanics. I'm sick and tired of hearing from many hispanics that unless we allow the guy from Mexico or Guatemala with a GED, a DUI and four kids to become an American citizen after violating our laws we're fundamentally bad people.

Do you think we have the right to control our borders? To decide who gets to work here and who does not? To put the needs of our citizens above the needs of Mexico's? Because I'm not sure that Obama and many hispanics think so. And that depresses the hell out of me. I don't think it's good public policy or even remotely fair to turn middle class Americans into the scapegoats for the largely self induced problems of Mexico's vast underclass.
I thought it's never about nationality or ethnicity? Where did Obama specify that his deferred action policy only applies to Mexicans? It's all about the Mexicans huh?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:36 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I thought it's never about nationality or ethnicity? Where did Obama specify that his deferred action policy only applies to Mexicans? It's all about the Mexicans huh?
I also had mentioned to Eleanora that it wouln't just be Mexicans that would benefit from this amnesty and she replied that 70% of illegals that would benefit from amnesties are Mexicans. I don't that is true because Mexicans are here overwhelmingly in the largest numbers and when combined with other Latinos here illegally about 80% of all illegal aliens are Latinos. So perhaps it was a stretch to just mention Mexicans but she isn't far off based on numbers.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 AM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
<<And nearly 60% said this immigration policy "didn't make a difference" in how they will vote.>>

It didn't make a difference in how I'll vote either. I didn't plan on voting for Obama, and nothign has changed. I still won't vote for him. Maybe that 60%, like me, wasn't going to vote for him anyway.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I am not a "Hispanic-American", I am "unhyphenated"...

I rather like former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, so it isn't the whole Republican party. For a number of years I was a registered Republican, but feel that the party left me, rather than the other way around. The way I see the stupid stuff now, like debates on whether Obama is bowing to Calderon, or idiotic "Birther" claims, is definitely going to make me stay away.
Can you provide a link to your claim that thousands of adult American citizens have been detained by ICE?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am perplexed by your comments. You are aware that Hispanics vote Democrat at about a 70-30 rate, correct?

My wife is a conservative Hispanic (Mexican-American) and guess what? The Republicans have lost her and many other conservative Hispanics for a generation thanks to SB1070 and other legislation.
So why does your wife think illegal immigration is ok? If she's an American, she should want all our laws enforced. I don't understand how some people, regardless of their ethnicity, are so willing to hand this country over to illegal aliens. Was she in favor of Ted Kennedy's push for special status for thousands of illegal Irish immigrants? How about the 900+ illegal Chinese immigrants discovered aboard a ship off the California coast? Then there's the Russian businessman in Mexico who imports prostitutes from Russia, and smuggles them into this country. People from terrorist countries fly to Cuba, then to Mexico, then cross the US border. Why would she want all these people here? Why wouldn't she want them to be questioned about their legal status? Why wouldn't she want all people entering the country to undergo criminal backgound, and health checks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration