Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,186,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
No the real problem is that employers continue to hire illegals, luring them in... Until that is fixed, yes I think an illegal should get a drivers license and have insurance. Certainly would have helped here...
Correct. Until we hold employers accountable and make the penalty so steep that the risk is just too great we can not make progress.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Link please that pecentage wise Americans commit more crimes than immigrants whether they be legal or illegal. I would say you would need to break down these so-called stats that legal immigrants are more law abiding than Americans by ethnic group and/or nationality for a true picture. For example, I rarely hear about Asian "immigrants" committing a lot of crimes in this country.
Just the Facts | Immigration Policy Center

Quote:
...The 3.5 percent incarceration rate for native-born men age 18-39 was five times higher than the 0.7 percent rate for immigrant men in 2000.

Among male high-school dropouts, 9.8 percent of the native-born were behind bars in 2000, compared to only 1.3 percent of immigrants.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...6261520080226:

Quote:
People born outside the United States make up about 35 percent of California's adult population but account for about 17 percent of the adult prison population, the report by the Public Policy Institute of California showed.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/irb/irb_june2010.pdf:

Quote:
...National studies have reached the conclusion that foreign-born (both legal and illegal immigrants) are less likely to commit crimes than the native-born...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times
Quote:
That's like asking me to explain why humans do stupid things...cannot be explained.

Insurance would have helped pay for it.
Insurance would have helped pay for what -- the blood removal? I am sure the family would find great solace in that.

Sadly, this is yet another citizen to add to the countless victims of illegal aliens. Unfortunately, the list will continue to grow.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times
How is any of this relevant? A human being has been killed by an irresponsible drunk, who had no regard for the safety of others. To add insult to injury, the person should not have been here, and would not have been here, had our borders been secured and our laws enforced. Crime stats do not diminish this woman's criminal behavior.

Why are you trying to deflect? For heaven's sake, why can't you condemn this woman, without looking for excuses as to why one group is more or less likely to commit a crime?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,438 times
Quote:
That's like asking me to explain why humans do stupid things...cannot be explained.

Insurance would have helped pay for it.
You really think someone who drives drunk would be bothered with insurance?

The person in question broke multiple laws to the point where they literally took another human life because of their lawlessness. This is the mindset of many illegals: any law is okay to break just as long as you get a benefit from it. So break American immigration laws. Then forge documents so you can get a job here. Then don't pay taxes. Then drive on the roads without insurance or liscensure. Oh and have a baby and demand the Americans pay for the birth, educate the child in Spanish and give you money to feed it. It's all of a piece. I have no idea why the pro-illegals think we should give American citizenship to people like that.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
You're first link appears to be from a left leaning group since some of the articles were praising multiculterism and mentioned the back door amnesty aka the Dream Act in a positive way. I can't open up any pdf files on my computer.

Let's face it, Mexico and other Latino countries operate under a culture of corruption. I suppose that many of them that come here legally are a better class of immigrant and higher up on the social scale than those who come here illegally so they haven't been tainted by the bad part of their nation's cultures. Many stats have been posted in here in the past on the number of illegal aliens that are incarcerated in our jails and prisons. Based on percentages of total "immigrant'" vs American crimes by each of their numbers in our country I am not so sure your claims prove out. This topic isn't about that anyways.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How is any of this relevant? A human being has been killed by an irresponsible drunk, who had no regard for the safety of others. To add insult to injury, the person should not have been here, and would not have been here, had our borders been secured and our laws enforced. Crime stats do not diminish this woman's criminal behavior.

Why are you trying to deflect? For heaven's sake, why can't you condemn this woman, without looking for excuses as to why one group is more or less likely to commit a crime?
Are you in some sort of "Good Cop - Bad Cop" routine to my sourcing information to "chicagonut"?...

Old 06-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Let's face it, Mexico and other Latino countries operate under a culture of corruption. I suppose that many of them that come here legally are a better class of immigrant and higher up on the social scale than those who come here illegally so they haven't been tainted by the bad part of their nation's cultures. Many stats have been posted in here in the past on the number of illegal aliens that are incarcerated in our jails and prisons. Based on percentages of total "immigrant'" vs American crimes by each of their numbers in our country I am not so sure your claims prove out. This topic isn't about that anyways.
Can you please source those links for comparison on truthfulness and bias in their origins as well? What about the second link, showing data for your home state of California? I'm just at a loss to understand how legal immigrants from a country "under a culture of corruption" can remain unaffected by it compared to illegal aliens of that same nationality.

Years ago I overheard my eldest step-daughter tell an American friend that they were "rich" while in Mexico. I would have dreaded seeing her definition of "poor" based on that. Maybe she was thinking of how they had the experience of living in a few different places.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Can you please source those links for comparison on truthfulness and bias in their origins as well? What about the second link, showing data for your home state of California? I'm just at a loss to understand how legal immigrants from a country "under a culture of corruption" can remain unaffected by it compared to illegal aliens of that same nationality.

Years ago I overheard my eldest step-daughter tell an American friend that they were "rich" while in Mexico. I would have dreaded seeing her definition of "poor" based on that. Maybe she was thinking of how they had the experience of living in a few different places.
No, I can't. I didn't post them nor to I have access to them. Either search the forum for them or ask those who posted them to re-post them. I already told you in another post how legal immigrants from the same culture could have more respect for the rule of law than an illegal alien from that same culture. The fact that the first group took the legal way vs the second group who didn't shows the difference in their character and how much of the corruption in their country they became a part of.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,731,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone gives you an incentive for committing a crime does not absolve you of responsibility for committing it. Illegals aren't children and should not be treated as little kids incapable of following laws. Illegals should either go home or take the bus. Give them a driver's license and you are essentially giving them residentcy and all other kinds of rights including the right to vote. An American driver's license should be reserved for American citizens and American citizens only. Anyone else should be allowed to drive only if they have foreign driver's license and legal permission to be here.

What would have helped is the criminal not coming here in the first place. It's bad enough he thumbed his nose at our laws. It's inexcusable that he came here and killed someone through his own horrible actions. We have enough home grown criminals. We don't need to import anymore.

I suppose you think we should let him serve his time and then grant him American citizenship?

The obtuse thinking of illegal aliens and those who support them is beyond breathtaking. You can only assume that when they pack, the willful ignorance and culture of lawlessness is the first thing that goes into their suitcases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.