U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should American law enforcement be able to racially profile?
Yes 57 76.00%
No 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 AM

348 posts, read 914,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
"Racial privilege sure must be comfy"

I have yet to discover that.

Not sure that I've discovered that either...I've been pulled over and ticketed along with the best of them and never considered it to be "racial profiling".

Now if there was ever a report of a bank robbery or something, done by a mom in a mini van, well then, I guess I'd be pulled over and questioned. I'm sorry that I don't fit the description of most felons so I've had "racial privilege".

Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,470,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
If there was a report for a mexican who stole a certain vehicle, and you fit the bill, then I see no problem in pulling you over...that is how crimes are solved.
That's not racial profiling. You already have a description of the suspect and vehicle. You are carefully seeking the individual who most closely "fits" the description. Race is incidental.

Racial profiling exists when race is used a priori as a basis for determining the likelihood of individual criminality.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
"Racial privilege sure must be comfy"

I have yet to discover that.
...As a fish has yet to discover he's wet

Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
That's not racial profiling. You already have a description of the suspect and vehicle. You are carefully seeking the individual who most closely "fits" the description. Race is incidental.

Racial profiling exists when race is used a priori as a basis for determining the likelihood of individual criminality.
But isn't that basically the same as in your situation? You fit the description of a local drug runner?

and p.s. I am not the one who said that the above was racial profiling..I was commenting on what the other poster had mentioned about being "mexican and assumed he had stolen a vehicle"

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Racial Profiling comes to us naturally. But its not like only the colored races are bad. There is a lot of that over here in the Bay Area, an officer stops a Mexican in an Escalade and immediately assumes its stolen because obviously the officer is jealous he can't make that on his wages.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Racial Profiling comes to us naturally. But its not like only the colored races are bad. There is a lot of that over here in the Bay Area, an officer stops a Mexican in an Escalade and immediately assumes its stolen because obviously the officer is jealous he can't make that on his wages.

Really, that's quite an "assumption" too

Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Not sure that I've discovered that either...I've been pulled over and ticketed along with the best of them and never considered it to be "racial profiling".

Now if there was ever a report of a bank robbery or something, done by a mom in a mini van, well then, I guess I'd be pulled over and questioned. I'm sorry that I don't fit the description of most felons so I've had "racial privilege".
But you were ticketed for something.

Your example again is not an example of racial profiling. Consider your likelihood of being pulled over and questioned absent the circumstance of a bank robbery in your area.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Ok, but aren't most people who are pulled over and then cry "racial profiling" actually pulled over for a specific reason other than just being "add race here"? That's the way I'm hearing it. The police cannot pull over a hispanic for a traffic violation then ask them their legal status because it is racial profiling. Am I misunderstanding?
To be pulled over specifically for race, is wrong, but to be pulled over for a valid reason then asked is absolutely ok.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,697,044 times
Quote:
Really, that's quite an "assumption" too
Yep and a BS assumption it was.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
But isn't that basically the same as in your situation? You fit the description of a local drug runner?
No. They weren't looking for anyone in particular. But it was assumed that, as a young black teenager living in an area known for drug activity, my presence (not my activity) was grounds enough for probable cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or