U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should American law enforcement be able to racially profile?
Yes 57 76.00%
No 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 AM

348 posts, read 914,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
No. They weren't looking for anyone in particular. But it was assumed that, as a young black teenager living in an area known for drug activity, my presence (not my activity) was grounds enough for probable cause.
Well and I'm sorry for that. I'm sure I've never experienced alot of the racial bs that you have and it's not fair that you do.
My problem though is not with you, a legal citizen of our country. My problem is with our gov't and their lack of control over our borders. Because of that, I think "racial profiling" of some form is needed.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
No. They weren't looking for anyone in particular. But it was assumed that, as a young black teenager living in an area known for drug activity, my presence (not my activity) was grounds enough for probable cause.
And clearly that was wrong of them. If they were not looking for a certain individual and they picked you out, that was wrong. But dont go assuming all law enforcement is like that. I have had many law enforcement officers in my family ,all have followed the law and never commited acts like what happened to you.There are good cops out there.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Ok, but aren't most people who are pulled over and then cry "racial profiling" actually pulled over for a specific reason other than just being "add race here"? That's the way I'm hearing it.
In many if not most instances (depending on the area), yes. In a good number of documented instances, no.

Quote:
The police cannot pull over a hispanic for a traffic violation then ask them their legal status because it is racial profiling. Am I misunderstanding?
To be pulled over specifically for race, is wrong, but to be pulled over for a valid reason then asked is absolutely ok.
In most jurisdictions they cannot, unless the individual stopped has committed a violation that warrants arrest.

Your last sentence echoes my argument, but I suspect we may disagree as to what constitutes a "valid reason".

Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
In many if not most instances (depending on the area), yes. In a good number of documented instances, no.

In most jurisdictions they cannot, unless the individual stopped has committed a violation that warrants arrest.

Your last sentence echoes my argument, but I suspect we may disagree as to what constitutes a "valid reason".
I believe a "valid reason" would be anything illegal that could warrant a ticket.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
I voted no.
There are plenty of ways to enforce, catch and deport illegals without having to do this. We have a revolving door with the illegals and need to stop them at the border (its not like they are parachuting in!) but after seeing the border patrol agents go to jail, we all know that they are being forced to let them in.

Look at all the illegals that have broken laws repeatedly, their illegal status could have been enforced on the first offense but it is not. Racial profiling is just another way for pro-illegal supporters to bring up the racist card, just like this thread...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I voted no.
There are plenty of ways to enforce, catch and deport illegals without having to do this. We have a revolving door with the illegals and need to stop them at the border (its not like they are parachuting in!) but after seeing the border patrol agents go to jail, we all know that they are being forced to let them in.

Look at all the illegals that have broken laws repeatedly, their illegal status could have been enforced on the first offense but it is not. Racial profiling is just another way for pro-illegal supporters to bring up the racist card, just like this thread...

Well sure, it needs to be stopped at the border first. But since it hasn't been controlled in years, we have alot of catching up to do. I'm all for allowing the border patrol to do their job.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
My problem is with our gov't and their lack of control over our borders. Because of that, I think "racial profiling" of some form is needed.
In the wake of the shooting death of a police officer during a routine traffic stop in Houston last year at the hands of an illegal immigrant placed under arrest, a city-wide mandate has gone into effect that citizenship status be ascertained of all persons arrested and processed for any offense.

Although at first glance one would probably deem it reasonable to only question Hispanics about their legal status, given that the vast majority of the 400,000 or so undocumented immigrants residing in the Houston metro area are from Mexico, it is not hard to realize that in order to ensure the prevention of racial profiling (and hence, discrimination) during the legal process, one must first ensure the ubiquitous applicability of the law.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I believe a "valid reason" would be anything illegal that could warrant a ticket.
If I am to assume that you do not believe merely being of a certain race in a certain place is illegal, then I'd say we agree.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If I am to assume that you do not believe merely being of a certain race in a certain place is illegal, then I'd say we agree.

We agree

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
And clearly that was wrong of them. If they were not looking for a certain individual and they picked you out, that was wrong. But dont go assuming all law enforcement is like that. I have had many law enforcement officers in my family ,all have followed the law and never commited acts like what happened to you.There are good cops out there.
Indeed there are.

But unfortunately, due to that experience, inasmuch as I feel that I am being unjustafiably pursued by the authorities, I will be inclined to profile them, in turn, as cops of questionable virtue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or