U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should American law enforcement be able to racially profile?
Yes 57 76.00%
No 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
Reputation: 436

Advertisements

If racial profiling keeps us safe and helps enforce the laws then we need to use it. Tough times call for tough measures. If I fit the profile I would rather be questioned then end up dead because authorties didn't want to hurt someone's feelings by questioning them.

 
Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
634 posts, read 2,555,614 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
Oh yeah.

I'd rather then decide to question/frisk etc. a 30 something middle eastern or mexican than a 60 year old woman

And if the mexicans/middle eastern people cannot understand that then poopoo to them. Sorry if the lot gets put on all of them because of their criminal people but that is the way it should be. If they don't have anything to hide they shouldn't be worried

I'd understand it if all of a sudden the French were criminals here and they'd target me (even though I'm american my dad is french hence I would be in the crossfire) I have nothing to hide and for the wellbeing of his nation I would show them with EASE I am not a criminal and they can go along to the next french person
AMEN!

+ Rep
 
Old 09-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Yac
 
5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
Everybody please calm down and remain on topic. 6 posts have been removed.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:06 AM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,921 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Again because I have a stance against racism and for immigration I am now not loyal to America. I am tired of hearing that excuse, this forum is so 1 sided it is sick. Good luck.
mach50thunderdart:

i do understand why you defend the illegal mexican, though the term illegal just gets to me personally.
i do understand that mexico can be a difficult place to live in, and their government is corrupt , maybe not as a whole, but corrupt just the same.
i understand why most illegals choose to come here in hopes to better their lives, but all i am saying is doing it legally should be the number one thing on their list.
we have so many people in need in america already, and with that need, nothing is being done for them, partly because of the need of the illegal immigrant.
now,if aid goes to the illegal first, and not to the citizen, i find that a big problem.
yes, most of the mexicans i know do work, but alot of them also get some sort of aid from the american people.
when my husband was injured and we needed help with groceries, and applied to welfare for food stamps, we were denied because first we had earned too much money in the past to qualify, and secondly, there was no longer a program for temporary disabled people on the welfare program...so we ended up asking the salvation army to help pay our utility bill, and went to a local storehouse for food...
i went in search for work, and because i didn't speak spanish, could not find work in my section of town, i ended up working miles and miles away at a minimum wage job, instead.
i understand there is a need in mexico, but like i said, there is also a need in america for poor families scrapping by, so where should the aid go first?
should we turn our backs on our own citizens just to make sure that the ones who have invaded our country illegally are fed , provided health care, and housed for free?
seems crazy that it is happening that way...
seems crazy that any red blooded american citizen has more sympathy for a homeland invader than they do for their own countrymen...
so one sided?
i really don't see it that way.
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 AM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,921 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
We are in the immigration forum...I am talking about racial profiling mexicans and muslims to make that clear to you folks.

i question the latter,you have never said a word about muslims in any of your posts, except to say that any of our concerns of 9-11 were only used as a scapegoat to redirect blame to the illegal mexican.
i've read most of what you have written, and not once have you included the muslims as some that you have defended.
now, as for racial profiling, if used correctly, such as in the case of bank robbery, a rape, a murder, a drunk driver, etc... where there is a discribtion of a susect then i'm all for it....but if it is used just to single out any race...i say it is wrong.
i dont want a police state, i just want my country back.
whether it's from terrorists or from illegal immigrants.
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 AM
 
7 posts, read 23,006 times
Reputation: 10
The story by Hawkeye48 shows a real truth, I do a lot of driving , twice a day from Cape Girardeau, Missouri to perryville Missouri, 40 miles north. There is a construction zone inbetween with traffic diverted off to the north sbound lane and slowed to 50 mph Every trip and I mean every trip I will be passed, or attempted to passed I should say because I do everything I can to block them. Blacks from Tenn, Ark, or Miss. will blow by you at 90 plus mph approaching this construction or wait till the last second to pass, I have called the Highway Patrol many times to put a stop to this. I have put 2 of them into the barrels. It is no wonder your friend got pulled over, you gave him plenty of warning, he should take responsibility for his action. I know this sounds like a raciest rant but I would just like to know the reason for this behavior, no offence intented to anyone
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,921 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Come on, that was in response to you accusing me of not being loyal...you folks are really reaching to try and trap me now. At least I don't lie about my heritage like Veiled Prophet, who else here is an American Indian but fails to post it on their profile?




I think my grammar was bad in that quote, it should read:



Better? I think I am more American than you, but that is my opinion and not up for argument.

i didnt bother to even fill out my profile when i got on this forum,because i dint think it mattered.
but i am indian also...choctaw and cherokee, i am a member of the choctaw nation of oklahoma, and am very proud they are a part of me.
i do not lie about my heritage, because i am very proud of it....
my anscestors immigrated from england in 1639...michael griswold was the first to come here....maybe i should not name names, but my pride is great, and i dont care who knows who my anscestors were.
that was my fathers side of the family.
my mothers side of the family were gentry's, who came from england, nicholas gentry came over before 1736 and was a nobleman.
in this family, over the past century came the marriage to an indian....or two....which makes me indian by blood, and a member of the choctaw nation....i do have a cib card and tribal membership to prove these facts...
i also have done extensive research on my family tree, and have learned that there is a direct relation to the woman outlaw belle starr, and along the line, i have also learned that one of my fathers anscestors stood as a juror on a witch trial...soooo sad, what a terrible waste...
i am not going to apologize for the fact that one of my anscestors owned slaves...or the fact that one of my anscestors served on a witch trial...we learn from these mistakes and change our thinking....swear for it never to happen again.
but as for illegal immigration, i still stand strong in my belief that there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, doing it illegally is the wrong way.
and before you say i'm racist against mexicans, i do have several hispanic family members, and friends, so please don't even go there.
but, because of my american heritage, i will defend her land with my life if need be, just as my forefathers have done...my father was a chief petty officer in the navy, my husband a marine, my brother also a marine who witnessed the marinecorps barracks bombing in 1983, and watched helplessly as his brothers in arms died at the hands of terrorists, my uncle jim is a retired marine who served in the korean conflict and is a purple heart recipient from that war, my other uncle a full bird col in the army, ,now retired, one of my cousins served in the first gulf war, and has retired just last year after serveing 25 years in the airforce, i have two nephews who one has served in this gulf war in iraq, and has made it home safely, and another an army national guardsman who , after protecting the southern arizona border during the mexican marches having been fired upon by guns, and having broken bottles thrown at him and being called all sorts of derogatory names ,was sent to iraq to fight that war and is still there as we speak, and my brother in law served duty in the coast guard for 25 years.... and lastly, my husbands grandfather served in ww2 fighting the nazis.
all these men served our country and protected other countries freedoms just so you could have the freedom also to question mine and others "racism" outloud....you can thank them for that. but trust me, if it came down to fighting a war on illegal immigration, they would all tell you the same thing i'm telling you, these colors do not run....
i am proud of my heritage, but when you ask me what nationality i am, i say american....and i fly old glory no matter what the day and always will.
 
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
What I find fascinating is how many Americans with provable N/A heritage are looking upon illegal immigrants with anger and disgust yet certain people; also of N/A lineage (Aztec, Mayan, etc) but with a dab of White Spanish tossed in dare to scream racism.

Many Latinos cannot figure why the Apache, Navajo, etc. do not join forces with them in a so-called 'Mexica' movement to toss the 'Whites' out.

If I were a Mexican national; I would would be petrified about Mexico splitting apart and the northern states pulling a Texas (Texas Republic 1836) then petitioning to join the USA.

Apparently; there is real fear SOB that Nuevo Leon is contemplating doing just that------which would hurt Mexico terribly. NL evidently is almost up to the 'gringo' standard of living with its industry, etc.
 
Old 10-01-2007, 03:24 AM
 
Location: Yuma (where?) Arizona
2 posts, read 3,063 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Of course they should be able to racial profile! It is only because of the freaking far left liberal PC bologna that common sense is hindered.

If someone robbed a bank and their description was 6ft 4" tall, 250lbs and white male, should the police look at a 5ft 10" mexican or a 5ft 2" asian woman?
Just a little FYI, what YOU are talking about is NOT racial profiling.
 
Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Reputation: 9894
Yes, from the civil liberties standpoint, racial profiling appears to be unfair. But I feel that it still should be ONE of the tools that law enforcement uses to detect criminal activity. Back in the '70s I was in the military and flew civilian airlines infrequently as part of my duties. Aircraft hijacking were starting to become common back then and the Feds developed a profile to help them spot potential hijackers. For some reason, I found my self inordinately pulled out of line for closer scrutiny (I have no idea why, I'm a white, 6' tall average-looking white guy) Perhaps it was due to my military background, but I just shrugged it off as just part of life considering current events. My belief is that law enforcement personnel, after just a short time, develop a "sixth sense" about people and situations. There are courteous and eficient ways to talk with people and I believe that if you give them no cause for concern, you'll be quickly on your way again.

I guess that you can be concerned about the limits of the "profiling" but, as with any dealings with the law, you should comply with their requests and, if there are concerns about the propriety of the officer's actions, take it up later with his superiors. Yes, there are a few "rogue" cops out there, but the overwhelming majority are decent people doing their jobs.

FWIW, I believe in showing ID at the voting booth and I'm not sure that the REAL ID plan is all that bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top