U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should American law enforcement be able to racially profile?
Yes 57 76.00%
No 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Reputation: 2496

Advertisements

I suspect that all those in favor of racial profiling here have never had the distinct pleasure of having it happen to them, and never will.

Racial privilege must be comfy.

 
Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I suspect that all those in favor of racial profiling here have never had the distinct pleasure of having it happen to them, and never will.

Racial privilege must be comfy.
OK: fair enough; how about we reverse the roles between Black and White?

Say a Black man was clearly victimized by a bunch of red headed White people; I happen to have reddish hair--------so I get 'profiled' by law enforcement.

Oh well.
 
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 4,157,985 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I suspect that all those in favor of racial profiling here have never had the distinct pleasure of having it happen to them, and never will.

Racial privilege must be comfy.
I'm sort of divided on this issue and riding the fence On one hand I think most times, cops (good ones) have an instinct/gut feeling which is usually on point. It's sometimes necessary because what if someone failed to pull over a car just because he/she had second thoughts about being accused of racial profiling and yet that vehicle was on its way to commit a murder?

Mr. Sykes, I have been a victim of racial profiling on several occasions while riding with a black male (brother; uncle; cousin). But because we weren't doing anything illegal, we were allowed to leave - I'm sure they were pissed because they were wrong in their initial thoughts Did it bother me, yes it did however, as I've gotten older and wiser and I see people on the streets who I KNOW are up to no good, sometimes I just wish that a cop would ride down the street and pull their as*es over and get them off the street.

At the same time I know that bad cops exist and they will use this tool to reek havoc on individuals which in turn will cause chaos.
 
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 AM
 
537 posts, read 312,010 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I suspect that all those in favor of racial profiling here have never had the distinct pleasure of having it happen to them, and never will.

Racial privilege must be comfy.
Actually, some of us who happen to be Native American do in fact know all about racial profiling and many of us still want it done to get rid of the illegals. I am one that would be stopped because of the color of my skin and because of what I look like. I would put up with it to get rid of the illegals though. You have no idea of the damage they are doing to tribal lands in the southwest.

Last edited by Veiled Prophet; 10-07-2007 at 08:33 AM..
 
Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 AM
 
Location: NY in body, Mayberry in spirit.
2,551 posts, read 1,625,019 times
Reputation: 5818
Is it racial profiling when only Italian's are targeted as members of the La Cosa Nostra? As an Italian from Queens, I was questioned as a youth several times as to who I might be friends with. I have to accept the fact that the Mafia is historically an Italian group. It makes no sense to go to the german part of the neighborhood to search for a mafioso. It never offended me. You can't blame others when your own people(race, religion, countrymen) have created a problem for you.
 
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
 
Location: NY in body, Mayberry in spirit.
2,551 posts, read 1,625,019 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I suspect that all those in favor of racial profiling here have never had the distinct pleasure of having it happen to them, and never will.

Racial privilege must be comfy.

All I know is that my grandparents and many of their generation of LEGAL immigrants were treated like s**t when they came here. They worked hard, obeyed the laws of the land, and were always proud to be Americans.
 
Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Is it racial profiling when only Italian's are targeted as members of the La Cosa Nostra? As an Italian from Queens, I was questioned as a youth several times as to who I might be friends with. I have to accept the fact that the Mafia is historically an Italian group. It makes no sense to go to the german part of the neighborhood to search for a mafioso. It never offended me. You can't blame others when your own people(race, religion, countrymen) have created a problem for you.
I agree there, sir.

Now: if 'racial profiling' people of Hungarian heritage; I most likely would slip past-------I am tall with reddish blond hair and blue eyes. Many of us (Hungarians) tend to look Italian/Latino/Native American.

And my G/F with two of her grandparents from Italy, looks about as 'Italian' as Glenn Close------tall, porcelain white skin and also a blue eyed blonde.

Again; so much for 'racial profiling' in her case.

OTOH: my hair stylist looks very Latina-------she is not; English/German lineage. Even the Hispanics think she is one of their own.
 
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Actually, some of us who happen to be Native American do in fact know all about racial profiling and many of us still want it done to get rid of the illegals. I am one that would be stopped b ecause of the color of my skin and because of what I look like. I would put up with it to get rid of the illegals though. You have no idea of the damage they are doing to tribal lands in the southwest.
No joke there:

The Tohono O'odham tribe/nation formerly known as the Papago are furious with the illegal incursion from Mexico-------never mind that part of their Rez is in Mexico as well.
 
Old 10-07-2007, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
As a sailor stationed in Norfolk for the first 4 years of my career I endured the constant hassle from cops because of the fact many younge sailors felt the need to live the stereo type. Was it annoying you bet. Who did I blame? Those dumb azzes who felt the need to get drunk every time they left the ship. Had they behaved like adults and not caused trouble the police would not have felt the need to focus on sailors.
As applied to illegals: No matter what the race or background they tend to hide each other. I honestly believe as an immigrant you should be prepared to verify your status when ever asked by an employer,landlord or the police.
Go over seas and it is no different. I know because I have traveled a lot. I never had a problem identifying myself to authorties. I had nothing to hide and I knew that I had broken no laws. Only those who feel guilt need have fear.
 
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM
 
Location: NY in body, Mayberry in spirit.
2,551 posts, read 1,625,019 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i didnt bother to even fill out my profile when i got on this forum,because i dint think it mattered.
but i am indian also...choctaw and cherokee, i am a member of the choctaw nation of oklahoma, and am very proud they are a part of me.
i do not lie about my heritage, because i am very proud of it....
my anscestors immigrated from england in 1639...michael griswold was the first to come here....maybe i should not name names, but my pride is great, and i dont care who knows who my anscestors were.
that was my fathers side of the family.
my mothers side of the family were gentry's, who came from england, nicholas gentry came over before 1736 and was a nobleman.
in this family, over the past century came the marriage to an indian....or two....which makes me indian by blood, and a member of the choctaw nation....i do have a cib card and tribal membership to prove these facts...
i also have done extensive research on my family tree, and have learned that there is a direct relation to the woman outlaw belle starr, and along the line, i have also learned that one of my fathers anscestors stood as a juror on a witch trial...soooo sad, what a terrible waste...
i am not going to apologize for the fact that one of my anscestors owned slaves...or the fact that one of my anscestors served on a witch trial...we learn from these mistakes and change our thinking....swear for it never to happen again.
but as for illegal immigration, i still stand strong in my belief that there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, doing it illegally is the wrong way.
and before you say i'm racist against mexicans, i do have several hispanic family members, and friends, so please don't even go there.
but, because of my american heritage, i will defend her land with my life if need be, just as my forefathers have done...my father was a chief petty officer in the navy, my husband a marine, my brother also a marine who witnessed the marinecorps barracks bombing in 1983, and watched helplessly as his brothers in arms died at the hands of terrorists, my uncle jim is a retired marine who served in the korean conflict and is a purple heart recipient from that war, my other uncle a full bird col in the army, ,now retired, one of my cousins served in the first gulf war, and has retired just last year after serveing 25 years in the airforce, i have two nephews who one has served in this gulf war in iraq, and has made it home safely, and another an army national guardsman who , after protecting the southern arizona border during the mexican marches having been fired upon by guns, and having broken bottles thrown at him and being called all sorts of derogatory names ,was sent to iraq to fight that war and is still there as we speak, and my brother in law served duty in the coast guard for 25 years.... and lastly, my husbands grandfather served in ww2 fighting the nazis.
all these men served our country and protected other countries freedoms just so you could have the freedom also to question mine and others "racism" outloud....you can thank them for that. but trust me, if it came down to fighting a war on illegal immigration, they would all tell you the same thing i'm telling you, these colors do not run....
i am proud of my heritage, but when you ask me what nationality i am, i say american....and i fly old glory no matter what the day and always will.

This post needed to be repeated. It should get +REP from many of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top