U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should American law enforcement be able to racially profile?
Yes 57 76.00%
No 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sorry, one of my brother in laws is a cop ( I have three) two of which are in law enforcement, anyway, he has never heard of or seen an hispanic get pulled over for being hispanic. Speeding, driving erratically, and other violations but not based on looks. And he is in LA.
L.A. cannot do that, it is a Sanctuary city remember?

Isn't that what racial profiling is?

Quote:
Racial profiling occurs when race is used by law enforcement or private security officials, to any degree, as a basis for criminal suspicion in non-suspect specific investigations. Discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, nationality or on any other particular identity undermines the basic human rights and freedoms to which every person is entitled
Racial Profiling

So if I were Mexican looking, driving a nice car, is that means to think I am an Auto Thief?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I voted YES...If you are not breaking the law, then racial profiling should not effect you. Those breaking the law are hiding behind our country's fear of being PC, which is bringing us down.
You obviously never had guns drawn on you and plastered on a patrol car as you walked to the convenience store to buy toilet paper, mistakened for a drug runner. One scratch and I surely would have been another statistic.

Sure affected me.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 AM

348 posts, read 914,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sorry, one of my brother in laws is a cop ( I have three) two of which are in law enforcement, anyway, he has never heard of or seen an hispanic get pulled over for being hispanic. Speeding, driving erratically, and other violations but not based on looks. And he is in LA.
ITA...I can't imagine people getting pulled over based on looks first...I'm sure there is a reason, even if it's a tail light that is out.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You obviously never had guns drawn on you and plastered on a patrol car as you walked to the convenience store to buy toilet paper, mistakened for a drug runner. One scratch and I surely would have been another statistic.

Sure affected me.
Nope, can't say as I have...but then I haven't matched a description of a drug runner in my area.
Sorry you had the misfortune and it sounds like the police went a little overboard in your situation...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post

Racial Profiling

So if I were Mexican looking, driving a nice car, is that means to think I am an Auto Thief?
Figures.

I dont judge people by their race, but by their actions. Mexicans are not the only people that put up with it. Maybe if the government and businesses would not have let the illegal situation get so out of hand, we wouldnt need it.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Nope, can't say as I have...but then I haven't matched a description of a drug runner in my area.
Sorry you had the misfortune and it sounds like the police went a little overboard in your situation...
Which is the main reason why racial profiling is deemed against civil rights, because some police officers take it overboard. Especially in inner cities.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Racial Profiling

If there was a report for a mexican who stole a certain vehicle, and you fit the bill, then I see no problem in pulling you over...that is how crimes are solved.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Which is the main reason why racial profiling is deemed against civil rights, because some police officers take it overboard. Especially in inner cities.
Then the police officers that do take it a step further, need to be dealt with.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,299 times
Quote:
Which is why it's so easy for people like you to glibly dismiss the notion that victims of racial profiling aren't just defensively "pulling the race card" when acknowledging what has happened to them.

Racial privilege sure must be comfy.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
"Racial privilege sure must be comfy"

I have yet to discover that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or