U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 AM

6,011 posts, read 6,731,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Slaves brought to the Americas were often obtained tribal chieftains who captured them in wars, raids on other tribes, or sometimes just bartered their own subjects for trade goods.

The Dutch were heavily involved in the slave trade as were Arabs and as a matter of fact, the Arab slave trade was the first slave trade into Africa. Muslim Moors (Black Muslims) were also capturing and selling Africans for profit. Arabs made it profitable and Europeans internationalized it.

However, this thread is not about slavery. Go hijack something in the Politics forum.
thers nothing you can tell me i dont know already, americans after the british outlawed slave trade in the atlantic continued kidnapping africans not purchasing them

Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Azbear, youve never been SOB.

I dont know what you mean by 'not last', but taking pride in the indigenous side of the culture is very common in Mexico.
true, it depends where also. the natives in mexico are still the lower class

Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
That people are taught that white is good, and that black and indian is bad?
How did I duck that?

Like I said, its common place in countries that were under European rule for many years.
Cue: Macmeal coming in making a sarcastic post about how White people are the bad guys in the world.

"Try again"
what about meztizos and mullatos depending onthe country its better to be those than a negro or a cabacolo

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
thers nothing you can tell me i dont know already, americans after the british outlawed slave trade in the atlantic continued kidnapping africans not purchasing them
(Illegal) slave taking is still going on here in 2008------------and not just Blacks.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Quote:
I could certainly tell you a thing or two about grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Your assertion in no way negates the information I posted. I said that there was plenty of blame to go around. You claimed that was not correct. I'm still waiting for you to give me some sort of reference which backs up your declaration.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Quote:
It’s irrelevant that ‘some’ Africans may have been kidnapped, as opposed to being purchased. African tribal leaders were instrumental in the implementation of U.S. slavery, and did in fact work in tandem with slave traders. Bottom line: they betrayed their own people for profit. Thus, Africans were as culpable as Americans. In my opinion, Africans were more culpable.

When children are sold by parents in the Black Market, who is more reprehensible -- the people who buy the children, or the parents who sold them? I vote for the latter.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,215,682 times
Quote:
Quote:
taking pride in the indigenous side of the culture is very common in Mexico.
No one is arguing that, it's quite obvious.
In some instances it's gone alittle too far.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Americans who are of Ozark and Appalachian ancestry are taught much the same thing....
Yeah.....but what's your point? Apples and tamarinds here; people in the Ozarks and the Appalachians are predominantly of European ancestry. It would make sense for them to have a Eurocentric world view. Blacks in the Dominican Republic and indigenous Mexicans are in a different situation altogether.........

Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,268,305 times
isn't it basically people that derived from Spanish roots?

The Spanish settled all over during the Exploration days and basically planted their seed everywhere they conquered, giving birth to the Hispanics and Latinos of the world.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,268,305 times
Quote:
The sad part the history books dont tell ya is that the rival tribes used to capture and surrender enemy tribeman to save themselves AND gain power and land over the rival tribes. So in a way their own people betrayed and sold them.

On the other hand, those slaves ancestors became free Americans with American rights and the ancestors of the traitors are still running around in Third World Africa, so who really won that conflict in the long run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration