Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
not 100% accuarate
Slaves brought to the Americas were often obtained tribal chieftains who captured them in wars, raids on other tribes, or sometimes just bartered their own subjects for trade goods.

The Dutch were heavily involved in the slave trade as were Arabs and as a matter of fact, the Arab slave trade was the first slave trade into Africa. Muslim Moors (Black Muslims) were also capturing and selling Africans for profit. Arabs made it profitable and Europeans internationalized it.

However, this thread is not about slavery. Go hijack something in the Politics forum.

Last edited by Kele; 10-05-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 12:42 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Some slaved were used to build what later helped free them..and that was the underground railroad.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record: my G/F works for a blood bank and whenever a 'Hispanic' comes in to donate; under the Race category, said Latino almost always checks 'White'-----------even if obviously Mayan, Aztec, etc. in appearance.
Of course he does. In Latin America, only white is right. In the Dominican Republic, for example, you can be someone who looks like Barack Obama, and still call yourself white.

Latinos who are of African or indigenous ancestry are taught to hate that which is black or Native, and love that which is white and European.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Of course he does. In Latin America, only white is right. In the Dominican Republic, for example, you can be someone who looks like Barack Obama, and still call yourself white.

Latinos who are of African or indigenous ancestry are taught to hate that which is black or Native, and love that which is white and European.
I have heard that said in the past: which would explain why MEChA, etc. would not last SOB.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:03 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,197 times
Quote:
I have heard that said in the past: which would explain why MEChA, etc. would not last SOB.
Azbear, youve never been SOB.

I dont know what you mean by 'not last', but taking pride in the indigenous side of the culture is very common in Mexico.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Azbear, youve never been SOB.

I dont know what you mean by 'not last', but taking pride in the indigenous side of the culture is very common in Mexico.
Interesting that you replied to my post but not Sunil's Dad's one..........

Now; why is that or is it due to he also being a 'Hispanic' that you are uneasy with challenging his posts?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Interesting that you replied to my post but not Sunil's Dad's one..........

Now; why is that or is it due to he also being a 'Hispanic' that you are uneasy with challenging his posts?
Whats to challenge? I've mentioned many times that white is upheld as beauty all over the place, especially in formerly colonized countries that were under European rule for many years(Latin America).

Look back for those posts, theyre pretty easy to find. Theyre usually tailed by long exchanges by me and Macmeal.

However, I don't think that means "white supremacy" at a level that is worst than any other country. You see a lot of the same stuff in the United States until that oh so dreaded "ethnic pride" popped up.

Also, this makes me remember Kinky Toes post on this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/mexic...ml#post5321056

where she discusses her views on race in Mexico when she WENT THERE.
There is racism like there is everywhere, and class differences, but that everybody is ashamed of what they are and "kiss the spaniards hand(wtf??)", I dont see it.

I believe what I've experienced in Mexico, as well a what other people who have been to Mexico and experienced it have to say, rather than assumptions and speculation by people who arent all that experienced with "SOB", and make rash judgements and generalizations based on thats speculation.

Last edited by amc760; 10-05-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Whats to challenge? I've mentioned many times that white is upheld as beauty all over the place, especially in formerly colonized countries that were under European rule for many years(Latin America).

Look back for those posts, theyre pretty easy to find. Theyre usually tailed by long exchanges by me and Macmeal.

However, I don't think that means "white supremacy" at a level that is worst than any other country. You see a lot of the same stuff in the United States until that oh so dreaded "ethnic pride" popped up.

Also, this makes me remember Kinky Toes post on this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/mexic...ml#post5321056

where she discusses her views on race in Mexico when she WENT THERE.
There is racism like there is everywhere, and class differences, but that everybody is ashamed of what they are and "kiss the spaniards hand(wtf??)", I dont see it.

I believe what I've experienced in Mexico, as well a what other people who have been to Mexico and experienced it have to say, rather than assumptions and speculation by people who arent all that experienced with "SOB", and make rash judgements and generalizations based on thats speculation.
Try again: you adroitly ducked my direct reference to Sunil's Dad's AKA Post #44.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Try again: you adroitly ducked my direct reference to Sunil's Dad's AKA Post #44.
That people are taught that white is good, and that black and indian is bad?
How did I duck that?

Like I said, its common place in countries that were under European rule for many years.
Cue: Macmeal coming in making a sarcastic post about how White people are the bad guys in the world.

"Try again"

Old 10-05-2008, 08:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Americans who are of Ozark and Appalachian ancestry are taught much the same thing....

Last edited by macmeal; 10-05-2008 at 09:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration