U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
You do realize America has no official language? English is de facto.
Not trying to argue with you, but this has a lot do with why Spanish is so prevalent now.
Yes, I do realize this. The UK also has no official language, but there is no language there that has anywhere near the penetration and special accomodations granted to it as Spanish does in this country.

I am in favor of making English the official language of this country while doing away with bilingual education, which doesn't work anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:16 PM

12,928 posts, read 24,057,734 times
Quote:
Not trying to argue with you, but this has a lot do with why Spanish is so prevalent now.
I beg to differ, the reason Spanish is so prevalent is we cater to them...why yes, we pay more now because everything has to be printed in Spanish...our kids have to take Spanish...

And by the same token in my opinion we descriminate against all the other immigrants...why isn't everything printed in just about every language...we have immigrants from all over the world...

They will never learn English if we continue to cater to them

Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I beg to differ, the reason Spanish is so prevalent is we cater to them...why yes, we pay more now because everything has to be printed in Spanish...our kids have to take Spanish...

And by the same token in my opinion we descriminate against all the other immigrants...why isn't everything printed in just about every language...we have immigrants from all over the world...

They will never learn English if we continue to cater to them
In NYC where there are a number of different cultures you will find things like the DMV, Courts...etc will have printed everything in many languages (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Indian, German, French etc).

I think it is based on surrounding cultures, you might call that catering, however I don't think it makes a lot of sense to print everything in Korean if there are no Koreans in the area.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
It's pretty easy to tell with reasonable certainty who's legal and who isn't. If the illegal is from Asia or Europe it's a bit harder, but from south of the border it's pretty easy.

What makes it easy is the sheer numbers of them. Even conservative estimates are now indicating we have at least 20 to 25 million illegal aliens from south of the border.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 PM

556 posts, read 478,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you lived in southern california, that's ALL that you'd see at fast food places except IN n OUt. at least in texas, most fast food places that i've seen still employ high school teens that need the income and/or like to work. i hope that you have decided to not patronize that place and others like it again.
I'd do more than that.... I'd put up a sign someplace where customers could see it, but the management might not catch it for a few days. The sign would read "We employ illegal immigrants here"

Maybe a sign people could read from the drive through window area while they wait for their food.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I'd do more than that.... I'd put up a sign someplace where customers could see it, but the management might not catch it for a few days. The sign would read "We employ illegal immigrants here"

Maybe a sign people could read from the drive through window area while they wait for their food.
That's why I love the Steak & Shake near my house...everyone who works there is an accentless, fluent English-speaking American! I remember back when that's how MOST places were.

Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:

This could help your cause:
WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition

There are currently:
3748 employers from
49 states

556 posts, read 478,073 times
Quote:
Well it's about high time the American people demanded that ENGLISH be made the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE on paper then. As far as I am concerned, it IS the official language of the United States.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well it's about high time the American people demanded that ENGLISH be made the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE on paper then. As far as I am concerned, it IS the official language of the United States.
I'm tired of going into Home Depot and Lowe's and all the signs are in English and Spanish, and half the staff there has a little ribbon that says 'Se Habla Espanol'. Most of the time when I go in either store they're jam-packed with illegal day laborers.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Dozens arrested at 11 restaurants in Nevada.

RENO, Nev. - Federal agents raided 11 McDonald's restaurants in northern Nevada and made dozens of arrests Thursday as part of an investigation into illegal immigration.

Agents for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement made at least 56 arrests in Reno, Sparks and Fernley after raids at the restaurants and a franchise corporate headquarters in Reno, agency spokesman Richard Rocha said.

"They are people suspected of being in the country illegally. As far as I know, they were all McDonald's employees," he told The Associated Press.

McDonald's workers held in immigration raid - U.S. Business - MSNBC.com
hi profile, mcdonalds.
but lots that are low profile do it all the time.
i go by home depot all the time on fairmont in san diego, min 30 guys waiting for work. whole lot a people lookin the other way. its a labor issue.
have you noticed employers law enforcement not real interested? declaring "nutrality". unions need a comeback.

stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or