U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times

Advertisements

Over the weekend I saw several Dems try and say the tax in Obamacare is a penalty on "free riders". I thought that was an odd choice of words coming from Dems consider they affinity for illegals and Great Society programs.

Why don't Dems call illegals and those on welfare free riders?

Quote:
Pelosi, D-Calif., told NBC's "Meet the Press" the mandate requirement is a penalty for so-called free riders and contended the plan known as "Obamacare" actually includes tax breaks for most Americans.

"It's not a tax, it's a penalty for free riders," Pelosi said. "But since you're bringing up the subject, it's important to note the middle-income families will get about $4,000 in tax breaks and tax credits in order to buy their health insurance. Middle-income families make out very well in this."

Pelosi said Democrats in Congress are ready and able to debate the merits of the law when it comes to the American public should Republican leaders on the Hill make good on their vow to overturn the controversial program.

Read more: Pelosi ready to defend Obamacare - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,182,541 times
Because it doesnt fit with their agenda. They NEED these people as voters. The more they keep the majority of them down, coming back for more and more, the better it is for them.

Everyone who thinks this Obamacare thing is going to work, just look at that many welfare and entitlement programs we have. They dont work. They are so bad, they just keep creating new ones to add to the existing ones.

Liberalism, a mental disorder

Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
I've posted in other threads that most of these "free riders" are illegals and Obamacare won't change that.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,558,336 times
Because that is their voting base

You can't insult the ones who depend on you

Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 5,090,963 times
Are you saying illegals don't pay taxes? They have no choice when it comes to sales and property taxes. If their employers prefers to pay them under the table, then isn't that company ultimately responsible for complying with IRS codes?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Are you saying illegals don't pay taxes? They have no choice when it comes to sales and property taxes. If their employers prefers to pay them under the table, then isn't that company ultimately responsible for complying with IRS codes?
I believe both the employer and the illegal employee would be liable for not paying the applicable income taxes.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM

14,364 posts, read 16,282,448 times
I dont think dems are big supporters of illegal aliens. Americans in general are not big on supporting illegal aliens in freeloading and taking away jobs and sending money across the border.

You must not be talking to any real life dems, else you would know this.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 5,090,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I believe both the employer and the illegal employee would be liable for not paying the applicable income taxes.
So then why are we singling out the employee here and not the employer? It's hard to pay taxes when your boss never gives you a W-2 form.

Are there not US citizens also working under the table? Do they get a free pass?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 PM

994 posts, read 1,743,292 times
I am a democrat and I call people who abuse the system free riders, scum bags, low life's and irresponsible......

I also think people who take their money off shore yet use our infrastructure and take advantage of every Gov't program that helps them are free riders....

Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM

7,526 posts, read 6,963,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So then why are we singling out the employee here and not the employer? It's hard to pay taxes when your boss never gives you a W-2 form.

Are there not US citizens also working under the table? Do they get a free pass?
E-verify would help rectify the illegal employee/employer problem, but democrats aren't fond of that. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or