Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But you are primarily objecting to the North Americans...

But you are primarily oblivious to the fact that the United States is in North America and has a southern border with another country in North America and so basic logistics would dictate that the influx of illegal immigrants are primarily entering from that country because they are objecting to living in their own country.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
But you are primarily oblivious to the fact that the United States is in North America and has a southern border with another country in North America and so basic logistics would dictate that the influx of illegal immigrants are primarily entering from that country because they are objecting to living in their own country.

"Oblivious"? I'm married to a Mexican. Net migration from Mexico is in negative numbers, you'll see it in rational places on the Internet, but not here...

I've been amazed that there hasn't been any discussion on the change of ruling party in Mexico...

It stands a great chance of either making things much worse, or much better, but the status quo probably won't hold...

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Yeah, the election in Mexico. What's there to talk about? If Mexico gets worse, they're all packing up and moving on over, if it stays the same, they're all packing up and moving over. Why stay home and work to improve the country when it's so easy to just get over to the USA?

Poll from El Paso Times:

Election in Mexico
Do you think the results of the Mexican presidential election will affect significant change? Read story
Total Votes = 608
Yes, I think things will change for the better.
12.33 %
Yes, I think things will change for the worse.
20.72 %
No, I think things will stay the same.
66.94 %

Home - El Paso Times

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM

I somehow don't think "Bon-bon" is going to make much improvements. And there is no evidence whatsoever that immigration has reversed. None -- just some campaign rhetoric. If immigration was reversing, all these illegals wouldn't be demanding their big amnesties and dream acts.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Quote:
Under the Same Moon is there too...

But not A Better Life, Crossing Over, or Gran Torino yet...
Thanks...I'll have to check out those movies. Wait..are you saying Under the Same Moon is the best and the other were poorly made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I liked Tres Veces Mojado the most. The ending was good.
What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm sure that half of those intending to get here illegally are not dying.

But at what point will these people decide to work for reforms? Maybe choose not to have 12 kids that they cannot afford? We simply cannot take in all the indigent and impoverished people of the world.

There are over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world. Do the open borders proponents really propose we bring them all in? Every Asian, African, South American, Central American and European who isn't making it in his or her own country should simply come here and we can fix all their issues? Too many Americans are finding it difficult to find a job -- it's incredibly naive to believe we can bring in 2 billion poor people and let them work here or be taken care of here.
Do you even know one Mexican with 12 kids?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thanks...I'll have to check out those movies. Wait..are you saying Under the Same Moon is the best and the other were poorly made?

What happened?

Do you even know one Mexican with 12 kids?
Watch starting at about 6:28 until the end.

Tres Veces Mojado 9/9 - YouTube

And yes -- I do know Mexicans with 12 kids. A couple years ago here, a judge had 6 kids taken away from their 22 year old mother. Yes, you heard right -- 6 kids from a 22 year mother, she was just letting them run wild and wasn't feeding them.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Thanks...I'll have to check out those movies. Wait..are you saying Under the Same Moon is the best and the other were poorly made?...
A Better Life:

Very good...

Crossing Over:

Good, but many complex plots interweaved...

Gran Torino:

Classic Eastwood...

Under the Same Moon is a little cheesy to me, but still pretty good:

Quote:
...Do you even know one Mexican with 12 kids?
You should know better than to ask leading questions to "malamute"...

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Has anyone here seen Sin Nombre?

It is on Netflix instant streaming. It is easily one of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. It is up there with the Holocaust film The Pianist for me.

It is easy to feel uninformed on the issues of illegal immigration today, and this film which is an adventure thriller shows what life is like in Mexico for the poor and how gangs control cities.

Regardless of one's view of illegal immigration, this movie is moving and will make you grateful to live in the US. We are so lucky to be born here because many Central Americans risk their lives for months to enter the US illegally and work the most undesirable jobs. Half of them don't survive the trip and that is shown in this film as well.

It is truly epic.
Considering that this is the debut film for the young director, I'd say it's a really good film, very high quality. I never heard of the movie and was expecting something else and was pleasntly surprised. I enjoyed the cinematography, and the actors were pretty spot on as well. Good film , even if you don't agree with the politics. Another good film is "El Norte" made about 25 years ago, probably just as good or better than Sin Nomber

El Norte - OFFICIAL TRAILER - YouTube

Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
But you are primarily objecting to the North Americans...

North Americans? What the heck is a North American?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
"Oblivious"? I'm married to a Mexican. Net migration from Mexico is in negative numbers, you'll see it in rational places on the Internet, but not here...

I've been amazed that there hasn't been any discussion on the change of ruling party in Mexico...

It stands a great chance of either making things much worse, or much better, but the status quo probably won't hold...
Whether or not it is true that net migration from Mexico is in the negative numbers there are still millions of them here illegally. Get back with us when the majority of them leave and no more continue to come here. That goes for all illegal aliens, not just Mexicans.

Why should we discuss the Mexican election in here? It isn't an illegal immigration topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration