Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Which category are you talking about here?...
Let's take a guess --- all those illegals age 16-30. Or any that claim to be in that age range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Let's take a guess --- all those illegals age 16-30. Or any that claim to be in that age range.
Yes, and those who haven't yet been "convicted" of a felony.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They may not have been convicted of a felony, but lord have they committed an abundance of crimes.

Difficult situation... no identity? - DREAM Act Portal Forum

3 misdemeanors on same day, do you guys think that will be a problem? - DREAM Act Portal Forum
What if you encounter ICE now? - DREAM Act Portal Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
When is Obama going to sue California? Arizona's bill just enforced federal law, but California is actually passing a law in direct opposition to federal law. When is Holder going to file charges against California claiming immigration is strictly a federal issue, and they can't change the law?
I don't get it either.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
At least those who claim they never committed a felony or changed their identities after they did. I don't think Obama really has any kind of background checks in mind for these new visas. If they murdered or raped someone right before coming on over to the USA, that isn't going to count against them. Or if they were "Juan Sanchez" and committed a crime and were deported but came back as "Jose Garcia" they have a clean record. New identities can be purchased any time.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
This administration has deported more illegals than the administration before it by a wide margin, but let's not complicate the discussion with too many facts.

I think, based on the facts, that Obama's record on illegals is "mixed", but apparently you have a different view based on...?
This administration may have deported more illegals since every administration since 1986, but this administration has also given illegals more "rights", "protection", entitlements, than any other administration in history.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
If you read WHY the government is doing this, it is going to save a money, and the agents are going to be transferred to stations closer to the border. I guess someone figured out that having more agents at the place where illegal CROSS makes more sense than keeping open border patrol stations open that, in some instances, are hundreds of MILES away from the border. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm no fan of the Dream Act or the recent government program to give kids brought here who went to school (illegally on our dime) or who go into military service, will get work permits, college assistance, etc., but this idea to get more agents at the border sounds like a good one to me.

This administration has deported more illegals than the administration before it by a wide margin, but let's not complicate the discussion with too many facts.

I think, based on the facts, that Obama's record on illegals is "mixed", but apparently you have a different view based on...?
.....based on what i see, of course. we have more illegal immigrants in my state than before and i am sure that other states are experiencing the same problem-because of the EXPANDED social programs.

as far as the deportation record, what good is deporting more illegals if they can just march back across the border? it is just a "feel good" statistic, with no relevance whatsoever.

as far as where illegals cross, my guess is that they will cross anywhere they think they have an opportunity for entry----so even if you are going to close stations, you wouldn't announce it if you have any sense, because you are basically saying that those areas are now unmanned. (and isn't that the point, really?)

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-14-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
I'll agree with you that the Drug Cartels are pretty happy now. Keeping cannabis illegal keeps the price up.

With the Feds forcing even legitimite dispensaries (those complying with all local and state requirements, which the Feds initially said they would not target) to close, they can expect all that business, 10's of millions of dollars if not more, will now to going to the Cartels. What a combination, our federal government helping the Cartels to reap more millions! I'd say the Cartels should be sending all the federal prosecutors in California and elsewhere, gift baskets and flowers.

The desire to legalize marijuana in California will hurt the Cartels, not help them. They know that if it were legal, California can grow enough to supply the whole US. Cannabis is a lot easier to grow than iceberg lettuce, and requires much less water. Legalization would also lower prices as supply increased. You've heard of supply and demand, no doubt?

The last thing the Cartel's want is legalization, which would reduce their profit in this very low cost high profit industry, as most illegal industries are.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cartels, along with the liquor and tobacco industries, were separetely supporting efforts to defeat legalization for their own reasons, after all Wells Fargo was implicated in laundering money for the Cartels in California and paid millions in fines and penalties.

What to you think the Cartels did with the money when it was clean? Investment in non-illegal businesses and political contributions would be my guess.
as i said, i am for legalization of marijuana IF AND ONLY IF the borders are sealed and, frankly, i don't see that happening with this administration at all.

we do not need to import more crime into california (or anywhere in the US)--- particularly by people who have such a low regard for human life. legalization with open borders is a recipe for disaster for law-abiding citizens. once the borders are closed, then americans would have the ability to grow a commodity and reap a profit-and i don't see where it really is the government's business on what plants people would choose to grow and sell.

as far as the government crack-downs on american businesses, it doesn't surprise me at all. look around you and see all the fines and regulations that the government is imposing everywhere.

it's all intentional, of course.

i am sure that the "millions" in fines and penalties for cartel money laundering doesn't begin to touch the profit that the bankers made laudering the money, and that is why they do it in the first place. of note, wells fargo did not have any restrictions on executive pay when they received their share of the bailout money.

heck, if they lose too much money we will just have to bail them out again.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
If you read WHY the government is doing this, it is going to save a money, and the agents are going to be transferred to stations closer to the border. I guess someone figured out that having more agents at the place where illegal CROSS makes more sense than keeping open border patrol stations open that, in some instances, are hundreds of MILES away from the border. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm no fan of the Dream Act or the recent government program to give kids brought here who went to school (illegally on our dime) or who go into military service, will get work permits, college assistance, etc., but this idea to get more agents at the border sounds like a good one to me.

In the real world, Obama should have been building more border stations, not getting rid of ones even inland. Don't you think saving money would or should include closing the border since most of these families coming here will need monetary assistence? There are not enough jobs for them, not enough green lawns or restaurants here to employ them any longer.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM

153 posts, read 131,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
In the real world, Obama should have been building more border stations, not getting rid of ones even inland. Don't you think saving money would or should include closing the border since most of these families coming here will need monetary assistence? There are not enough jobs for them, not enough green lawns or restaurants here to employ them any longer.
There has actually been a decrease in the number of crossings since the economic recession began. From the southern border at least. Future waves of illegal immigration seem to be increasing from asiatic countries on the other hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
as i said, i am for legalization of marijuana IF AND ONLY IF the borders are sealed and, frankly, i don't see that happening with this administration at all.
Why though? Decriminalizing marijuana would end the Drug War that has plunged so many latin american countries into civil war against cartel controlled regions. You'd see a decrease in the number of migration, legal and illegal, by doing this. Violence would also decrease as the power of cartels melted away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
This administration may have deported more illegals since every administration since 1986, but this administration has also given illegals more "rights", "protection", entitlements, than any other administration in history.
No actually. The very concept of illegal immigration is only as recent as the WW2 era. Illegals had the most freedom in all administrations prior to WW2, when it was allowed for them to work without any documentation needed or travel freely. Actually strike that, migrants had the most freedom. As I said, the concept of illegal or legal migrant didn't exist at the time and the border was literally just a line in the dirt in most regions; with the exception of war time.

It's only after WW2 that wartime migration controls were maintained and the concept of illegal immigration was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration