U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 PM

556 posts, read 478,073 times

Advertisements

I say we build a fence an electrify it with 100,000 volts. That will keep em leary of trying to climb it.

Roving armed citizens with authority to shoot to kill wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:04 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,665,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Fences make good neighbors. Mexico can get over it and the people who don't like it can get over it. The gravy train is slowing down now and hoipefully the parasites will leave the country because we do not want them here sucking the teet of the American taxpayer. They should go back to their own countries and fight for changes there and stop being cowardly and sneaking into a country where the majority of the citizens do not want you.
I agree we should.. it would solve all our problems.. make them Americans, make a smaller border along the Panama Canal. And increase our Beach Front Property. there are some very nice beaches further into Mexico. And when the second Ice age hits we have some place to go.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 PM

447 posts, read 706,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
You have a point. Here's a possible solution. To receive benefits, you need to offer one of the following:

1 Retinal Scan
2 Voice Recognition Sample
3 Blood Sample

If your information on your pseudo-green card does not match up to any(one) of the above, no benefits will be granted.

scary thought....i dont know if i'd go that far...i don't think america is really ready for that "brave new world"
but it is a thought that may work.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It's one of the reasons illegals make my ass twitch. My ex and I had to provide reams of paperwork proving my citizenship, proving he didn't have a criminal record, proving he didn't have HIV/hepatitis/tuberculosis, proving we had the means to support ourselves, etc. It took 14 months and cost a couple thousand dollars and required an in-person interview at the US embassy in London.

Oh, and when he mentioned at the required physical that he had a history of depression, he had to provide a letter from his doctor discussing his condition and his prognosis. You can be denied a visa for severe depression.

It's f*cking disgusting how these illegals are *****ting all over people who do it the RIGHT way.

but you and your husband did it the right way, and for that, i give you my respect.....be proud that you are who you are. we need more legal immigrants to speak out, too!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
but you and your husband did it the right way, and for that, i give you my respect.....be proud that you are who you are. we need more legal immigrants to speak out, too!!!
He's an ex and he ended up staying in the UK, but thanks!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 AM

6,999 posts, read 6,635,326 times
There's enough countrymen in the US with legal citizenship that they can blend in in major cities, find a place to live by contacting family, friends, and acquaintences of relatives, and get a job off the books. Cutting off government benefits won't affect the flow much. Enforcing the laws that ban employment of illegals will hurt some but will be mitigated by the many sanctuary cities that refuse to enforce immigration laws. The movement of illegals into the country is facilitated by the relationships between those that are here and those outside the borders. Half of the people in Mexico know someone here in the states. I expect that many illegal aliens are provided financial aid from US citizens in order to pay their way into the US which is then repaid through money they set aside from work that they find in the states.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM

236 posts, read 399,242 times
I am 38 years old.(yes I am old) LoL. I grew up in a farming community in California. My Grandfather was a huge Grape farmer. My brothers and I loved helping the workers pick grapes. We road on the tractors with them and played with their children.They did not have alot of money but they took pride in their homes and in this country. They wanted to be American. They worked for their money and they did not take handouts. I never had an opinion on illegal immagration up until a few years ago.I always believed that they just wanted a better life than what they had in Mexico. The immigrants today do not have the mentality that the ones I grew up with had. The ones today expect us to give, give, give. They are distroying neighborhoods, they take but do not give back. They have brought crime to our streets. They expect you and I to learn their language and get pissed if we don't. They do not want to be Americans they want to be Mexican-Americans. I drive along country roads to get to work and it is littered with old couches, appliances, garbage. They have no respect for the person who owns that land. The county dump is 10 minutes away but they still dump their trash illegally. What is it about them and illegal activity. I guess I shouldn't be suprised since they are here illegally. I am fed up with our government and big businesses. They do not listen to the legal citizens. We do not want them here, we do not want to pay for their medical, their welfare, the cleaning up of their trash, their education, we do not want to be made to learn their language, we want to be turned down for employment based on our work not on our ability to speak a foreign language. I am disgusted with myself because I find that I get so angry on this subject that I cuss the immigrants. I don't want to hate but our government has pushed the citizens to the point of racism. If the illegal immigrants of today had the same mentality as the ones I grew up with then I would say Welcome to my country, Unfortuantley that will never be. Build the wall, cut off aid and send the ones back who are here. That is my stand and I will never back down.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
He's an ex and he ended up staying in the UK, but thanks!

anytime...

Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
a fence isnt necessarily a bad idea, but the costs of it dont seem to justify its purported purpose, especially when you know how easy it is to bypass anyway. not to mention the fact that private companies are contracted to build it, and guess who theyre hiring:

NPR : Border Fence Firm Snared for Hiring Illegal Workers

here is an interesting look at the immigration issue:

Reason Magazine - Hit & Run > Gillespie's Bull****! on Immigration (Streaming Edition)

Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
I am 38 years old.(yes I am old) LoL. I grew up in a farming community in California. My Grandfather was a huge Grape farmer. My brothers and I loved helping the workers pick grapes. We road on the tractors with them and played with their children.They did not have alot of money but they took pride in their homes and in this country. They wanted to be American. They worked for their money and they did not take handouts. I never had an opinion on illegal immagration up until a few years ago.I always believed that they just wanted a better life than what they had in Mexico. The immigrants today do not have the mentality that the ones I grew up with had. The ones today expect us to give, give, give. They are distroying neighborhoods, they take but do not give back. They have brought crime to our streets. They expect you and I to learn their language and get pissed if we don't. They do not want to be Americans they want to be Mexican-Americans. I drive along country roads to get to work and it is littered with old couches, appliances, garbage. They have no respect for the person who owns that land. The county dump is 10 minutes away but they still dump their trash illegally. What is it about them and illegal activity. I guess I shouldn't be suprised since they are here illegally. I am fed up with our government and big businesses. They do not listen to the legal citizens. We do not want them here, we do not want to pay for their medical, their welfare, the cleaning up of their trash, their education, we do not want to be made to learn their language, we want to be turned down for employment based on our work not on our ability to speak a foreign language. I am disgusted with myself because I find that I get so angry on this subject that I cuss the immigrants. I don't want to hate but our government has pushed the citizens to the point of racism. If the illegal immigrants of today had the same mentality as the ones I grew up with then I would say Welcome to my country, Unfortuantley that will never be. Build the wall, cut off aid and send the ones back who are here. That is my stand and I will never back down.
I knew a lot of people growing up who liked to be called Tex-Mex. Their parents would not speak Spanish at home, they wanted their kids to learn English. One of my best friends couldn't even talk to his grandmother. You are right the new 'immigrants' are different. Most times, they just stare you down as you go by...I am wondering why they do that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration