U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,610,962 times

Advertisements

Benefits of illegal immigration: There are none! The key word is "illegal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,550,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We have no proof that the Hispanics were illegal and if they were why would they send money back to Mexico when every one in Mexico is here..
Also the American looking guys could just as easily been a couple of illegals from Canada.
Well Jumbo congrats on your parents hiring of people that they don't if know if they are legal or illegal. But, hey, if they are illegal, it's America so no laws broken by anyone, right?

The article below alone refers to Mexican migrants, making it sound as if they were ALL in the US legally working the farms. But you and I know it's not true so let's assume that half of them are legal (). So if $21.27 BILLION in remitted to Mexico in year 2010, let's cut that down to less than half to $10 billion and assume it's being remitted to Mexico by illegals. Nice piece of change that leaves the country wouldn't you say? And that is just one of many ways illegals impact our economy.

$10 billion is just Mexican remittances, can you imagine how much more money leaves the country by other illegals? And you don't think this contributed to the decline and the stagnation of our own economy?

Does your family realize that if they are paying illegals, more than likely 1/2 of that money goes to Mexico and not back into our economy. I think every citizen complains about the US economy. I'm sure plenty of those citizens hire illlegals to work for them. Yet, they don't realize how they themselves contribute to the decline or stagnation of our own economy while building the economy of another country. I guess it's easy to overlook that fact when you are getting a "bargain".

Quote:
The amount of money sent home to Mexico by migrants working abroad has stabilized following two years of declines caused by the U.S. economic downturn.

The Mexican Central Bank reports that remittances totaled $21.27 billion dollars in 2010, compared to $21.24 billion in 2009.

That is a 0.12 percent increase over 2009 levels, when remittances plummeted by 15.5 percent.
Remittances are the country's second-largest source of foreign income after oil. They rose rapidly in the first years of the new millennium but dropped by 3.6 percent in 2008.
The Central Bank said in a statement Monday that the number of individual payments grew slightly in 2010, but each average payment was a little smaller than 2009.
Mexico's remittances stabilize after drops - BusinessWeek

Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Remittances to Mexico are about two-thirds coming from Mexican-American U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents, one-third from illegal aliens...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Not sure how it works for you sotbluey but Mom and Dad arent the type to view every non white person as an illegal and refuse to do business with them, or ask every one who doesnt look white for their papers before dealing with them?
Yes if Americans dont want Mexicans coming up here to work then i'd suggest they get out in the fields and start picking produce all day, or working as personal slaves to the uber rich or doing any one of dozens of menial less than minimum wage jobs,

Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,968,986 times
yes, but if the immigrants weren't allowed in then the wages would have to rise.

surely a good thing for the working man?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Not sure how it works for you sotbluey but Mom and Dad arent the type to view every non white person as an illegal and refuse to do business with them, or ask every one who doesnt look white for their papers before dealing with them?
Yes if Americans dont want Mexicans coming up here to work then i'd suggest they get out in the fields and start picking produce all day, or working as personal slaves to the uber rich or doing any one of dozens of menial less than minimum wage jobs,
Does Mom and Dad fall under the category of being uber rich? How many people (assuming they are illegal) does it take to landscape their property and how long does it take to do the job? Now if you tell me 3 people and it takes one hour, then at $25 an hour per worker, or if it was 1 man and it took 3 hours the rate would be the same, I wouldn't call that a minimum wage job.

If people want to know if they are hiring someone and "suspect" they may be illegal I think they have every right to ask their status. If it's a legitimate company I would ask if they employ illegals, and if they did, I would look for another company that didn't. Do different from what illegals do: if there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited by softblueyz; 07-19-2012 at 01:02 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 AM

Must be a complex life you lead there softblueyz if every time you see some one who isnt up to your standards of whiteness are called upon to show proof of American legal residence before you do busness with them, i can only imagine how well that goes over at restaurants,cashiers at checkout lines, gas stations etc.
As for the 3 lawn guys its just 3 guys and a pickup full of lawn care equipment,i doubt they split the $75 3 ways,probably one guy takes $50 and the other 2 split the rest,and while parents wouldnt qualify for uber rich it is an upscale neighborhood where the hispanic lawn care crew would have been reported as potential illegals by some one such as yourself a long time ago.And i suspect if the lawn crew were asked to show all manner of immigration papers my parents probably would have been told to mow your own damn lawn.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-19-2012 at 02:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Must be a complex life you lead there softblueyz if every time you see some one who isnt up to your standards of whiteness are called upon to show proof of American legal residence before you do busness with them, i can only imagine how well that goes over at restaurants,cashiers at checkout lines, gas stations etc.
As for the 3 lawn guys its just 3 guys and a pickup full of lawn care equipment,i doubt they split the $75 3 ways,probably one guy takes $50 and the other 2 split the rest,and while parents wouldnt qualify for uber rich it is an upscale neighborhood where the hispanic lawn care crew would have been reported as potential illegals by some one such as yourself a long time ago.And i suspect if the lawn crew were asked to show all manner of immigration papers my parents probably would have been told to mow your own damn lawn.
I think you are the dealing with a complex mind to assume you know how I think and what my behavior is.

FYI, I don't report illegals, I just don't want anything to do with them. I don't like having the reality pushed in my face as to where my tax dollars go.

For all intents and purposes, your parents are employers - employers are entitled to ask someone's status. Then again, it wouldn't matter if one is getting a bargain, would it? You don't have to live in an upscale neighborhood to "employ" illegals. Many middle class people employ them as well (housekeeping, home repairs, etc).

Oh, the shame of being seen mowing your own lawn!!!! Here's a suggestion to up one's status. Why don't the uber rich or people who are living in the high end of town/community hire a housemaid so that when they go to the market they can get someone to push the cart for them or when they go to the mall there is someone who can relieve them of the strain of having to carry their high-end purchases?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I think you are the dealing with a complex mind to assume you know how I think and what my behavior is.

FYI, I don't report illegals, I just don't want anything to do with them. I don't like having the reality pushed in my face as to where my tax dollars go.

For all intents and purposes, your parents are employers - employers are entitled to ask someone's status. Then again, it wouldn't matter if one is getting a bargain, would it? You don't have to live in an upscale neighborhood to "employ" illegals. Many middle class people employ them as well (housekeeping, home repairs, etc).

Oh, the shame of being seen mowing your own lawn!!!! Here's a suggestion to up one's status. Why don't the uber rich or people who are living in the high end of town/community hire a housemaid so that when they go to the market they can get someone to push the cart for them or when they go to the mall there is someone who can relieve them of the strain of having to carry their high-end purchases?
Mom and Dad are in their late 80.s doing yard work is no longer possible,getting the lawn care company that does all the other lawns on the street seems the logical way to go.whether these guys are illegal or not matters little to Mom and Dad,they just want the lawn mowed and the hedges trimmed.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 AM

5,190 posts, read 3,968,986 times
even so, with all the immigrants it is still making life harder for the average working man of native descent.

People will always try to get the best deal possible , so it is up to the govt. to make sure the interests of the locally grown workforce are protected.

What if we open the doors to anyone from the 3rd World? - for sure, we could all have our lawns mowed for next to nothing, but a few years down the line we'd all be the poorer for it (except for the elite)

how is that a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or