U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
??? I'm not talking about the border patrol checkpoints. Obviously I've been through those hundreds of times. I'm talking about being stopped by border patrol agents. Such as when they pull up to you and start asking you questions. I'm not talking about the checkpoints. Nor the border crossing itself.

IBM -- I believe you have a reading comprehension problem. I clearly wrote that I was stopped and questioned by border patrol, I did not write that this had to do with crossing the border or the internal checkpoints like the ones on I-10 or I-25. Those are a whole different matter -- and you never rode a bike though the internal checkpoints or boat, or walked so cut the bull about "every mode" of transportation.
Border Patrol vehicle stops...

Why would I only count three times of going through a Border Patrol checkpoint or Port of Entry, when both have been numerous times?...

Every possible mode of transportation, but haven't pushed a car through like I have seen done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Yes, I've also been through three Border Patrol stops (within a ten-month period)...

I've been through El Paso and Juarez numerous times, every official crossing. Every mode of transportation. A fraction of those experiences aren't even needed to figure out where your storytelling is being pulled from.

Some months ago we also had a former translator for the holding facilities state that U.S. border officers would pool small bills from their wallets to convince the Mexicans to accept "Voluntary Departure"...

You know, describing an illegal act on their part...
Voluntary departure is not illegal. It's smart and a smart Mexican certainly doesn't need to be bribed to take that option. An illegal is caught riding his rickety old bike with a 6-pack of beer and gets stopped and asked some questions. He has no papers, not even fake ones. He speaks no English at all, can't think of any American school he could claim to have attended, is smart enough to realize that the Zacatecas look as all over him still and he can't fake being from Chicago so when they get to the question about citizenship or legal status, he realizes it's pointless to lie so he goes for voluntary departure.

What would you suggest he do? Border agents don't really care and they're not going to offer cash for something that an illegal with half a brain is going to do anyhow. It's no skin off their teeth if the illegal wants to fight deportation and then be formally deported.

Now it's pretty obvious who the wild story teller is --- why exactly are you claiming that border agents bribe illegals to choose voluntary departure?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Border Patrol vehicle stops...

Why would I only count three times of going through a Border Patrol checkpoint or Port of Entry, when both have been numerous times?...

Every possible mode of transportation, but haven't pushed a car through like I have seen done...
Again -- I was not talking about the border patrol stops or points of entries which I'm sure I've been through a whole lot more times than you. I said I was stopped three times by border patrol and asked some questions. I know what they ask you when you go through the checkpoints and when you go through the ports of entry. But I also know what happens when border patrols agents see you walking somewhere and decide to ask a few questions.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Voluntary departure is not illegal. It's smart and a smart Mexican certainly doesn't need to be bribed to take that option. An illegal is caught riding his rickety old bike with a 6-pack of beer and gets stopped and asked some questions. He has no papers, not even fake ones. He speaks no English at all, can't think of any American school he could claim to have attended, is smart enough to realize that the Zacatecas look as all over him still and he can't fake being from Chicago so when they get to the question about citizenship or legal status, he realizes it's pointless to lie so he goes for voluntary departure.

What would you suggest he do? Border agents don't really care and they're not going to offer cash for something that an illegal with half a brain is going to do anyhow. It's no skin off their teeth if the illegal wants to fight deportation and then be formally deported.

Now it's pretty obvious who the wild story teller is --- why exactly are you claiming that border agents bribe illegals to choose voluntary departure?
No, I'm restating what the C-D member (not seen since) said (several times), until I provided input that he was describing an illegal act on the part of border officers...

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 PM

And really this video was kind of stupid. The guy was holding himself up by not just saying he was a US citizen. Most of the time these border check points and the ports of entry, all that they do is ask "are you a US citizen?" and you say "yes" and on your way you go.

Even on the buses that originate in Mexico and 3/4 of the passengers are not US citizens, you are only asked to have your passport out if you are not a citizen. If you don't show a passport, they ask you if you are a citizen, you answer "yes" and that's the end of it.

These checkpoints are simply "yes" answers. You're never asked for identification unless you say you are not a citizen.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 PM

I was against these "inside the border checkpoints" when they first came out with them. I was against the whole reason which was to create a mixed nation zone -- that was done under Clinton where the true border was erased and a border zone was created that would allow anyone to come on over but stay within about 80 miles of the border.

The problem with getting rid of them now is that this open border zone has been established. In that way the guy in the video is right, Americans shouldn't be questioned or stopped at all, the border should never have been moved north in the first place, but in that case, the border should be put back where it was and the open border zone should be eliminated.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
On another note, someone of Irish descent living in Arizona wanting to know what a Border Patrol stop is like...
Please explain with a link that malamute is lying.

I've been stopped by the BP. Sheesh!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 PM

6,520 posts, read 8,609,024 times
Again, more mission creep from a Federal agency. They are not city Police, they are not County deputy sheriff, they are not State highway patrol. Technically, they have no right to be stopping anyone on a U.S. highway. Their title is 'Border agent'. Their mission is to stop people from illegally entering the U.S. at the border, that fence between Mexico and the U.S. If they were doing their job at the border, U.S. citizens would have to sit in a line of traffic 20 miles form the border for a half hour to prove they are a U.S. citizen.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Again, more mission creep from a Federal agency. They are not city Police, they are not County deputy sheriff, they are not State highway patrol. Technically, they have no right to be stopping anyone on a U.S. highway. Their title is 'Border agent'. Their mission is to stop people from illegally entering the U.S. at the border, that fence between Mexico and the U.S. If they were doing their job at the border, U.S. citizens would have to sit in a line of traffic 20 miles form the border for a half hour to prove they are a U.S. citizen.
If it takes being that tough on the border to keep illegal aliens OUT of the US; then do it. Sheesh!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
They are not allowed to do their jobs at the border. Border crossing cards are handed out like candy, they cost only $149 and are good for 10 years, allowing Mexicans to cross as they please, many thousands of women have used these cards to come over to give birth in the USA where they are never expected to pay their hospital bills and once they have given birth here, they are allowed to not only stay but get food stamps, WIC, housing vouchers.

The internal border checkpoints were a terrible idea that was part of the creation of the "border zone" which was basically turning over about an 80 mile wide strip of land to Mexico and it's citizens to use as they please but they were supposed to stay inside the border zone.

Of course the checkpoints aren't very effective -- it's extremely easy for illegals to drive around them and all one has to do is answer "yes" to the "are you a citizen" question and they're in. Nothing is done about those who obtain border crossing cards to permanently reside here, and many thousands are moving over because of the violence now in their own country -- they come right over through the legal ports of entry using these laser cards they bought for so little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration