U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Reputation: 27519

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Most reports show roughly 11-12 million.

Number of Illegal Immigrants in US Steady at 11.2M | CNSNews.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/us...5-million.html

The number gets greatly exaggerated, where they try and "extrapolate". In the illegal forum they throw around 50 million sometimes...with no idea how they get to that #.
Or the government could be grossly underestimating. How do you count people who are not supposed to be here ?

Interesting to note though that the estimates of 11 million go back to 2003. 10 years and holding steady ?

A university study estimated 13 million back in 2001.
Feds Undercount Illegal Aliens


Under the Reagan amnesty bill, they estimated 3 million would become citizens. Ended up closer to 12 million that became citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Probably closer to 30-40 million if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i think 20 mil is more in order
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It could be 50 - 60 mil.

Explain your numbers, provide logic and evidence to back it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Reputation: 27519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Explain your numbers, provide logic and evidence to back it.
I provided some data in post #11. There's not a lot of actual "data" to go on. It's mostly modeling and extrapolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I provided some data in post #11. There's not a lot of actual "data" to go on. It's mostly modeling and extrapolation.
The article states:

Quote:
New data from the 2000 Census and other sources suggest the government has long underestimated the number of illegal aliens living in the United States.
No where in the article does it state underestimating by 3 or 4 times, as you claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Explain your numbers, provide logic and evidence to back it.

Some evidence

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Some evidence
Quote:
Using the Border Patrol’s own data and considering the relative ease with which drug smugglers and illegal aliens make multiple crossings into this country, the more realistic number is much closer to 60-70 million.
Based on some report of "Border patrol data" (no reference given) that doesn't take into account for anyone leaving the US?

So you believe 1 out of every 6 people in the US are illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Based on some report of "Border patrol data" (no reference given) that doesn't take into account for anyone leaving the US?

So you believe 1 out of every 6 people in the US are illegal?
Its quite possible.

Hispanics are now the majority in most U.S cities.

This growth is not due to legal immigration. Remember we are next door to many Hispanic countries. & many hispanics enter the U.S illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Reputation: 27519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The article states:

No where in the article does it state underestimating by 3 or 4 times, as you claim.
Use Reagan's amnesty bill. Government estimated 3 million..12 million became citizens. That was 1986.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Reputation: 27519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Based on some report of "Border patrol data" (no reference given) that doesn't take into account for anyone leaving the US?

So you believe 1 out of every 6 people in the US are illegal?
You're sticking to your 11 million and that number was arrived at by the same means..estimating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're sticking to your 11 million and that number was arrived at by the same means..estimating.
With multiple sources and data to back it up. I believe this much more than 1 out of every 6 people are illegal.

Also, It makes logical sense that the number has went down during the recession too: 12.7 peak in 2007...11.2 now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top