U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,017,472 times

Advertisements

Unlike many news articles, this one gives the correct depth to just how immigration law can be so treacherous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,559,043 times
Yes, this is a fine example of the "typical" illegal.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yes, this is a fine example of the "typical" illegal.
Why does an illegal alien have to fit a predefined stereotype to be mentioned here?...

Old 07-19-2012, 02:05 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,559,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why does an illegal alien have to fit a predefined stereotype to be mentioned here?...
Well, let's just say that there IS a MAJORITY that certainly has defined itself.

Her situation is the exception to what has become the rule. I think most people who are "anti-illegal" would see this situation in a very different light, and possibly the deportation unfair (which I think it is), seeing as her circumstances and background are not the norm, and that would be for any illegal in her situation. She comes from a family that didn't take from the government, but quite the opposite. If she does return to England hopefully her chances of returning to the states LEGALLY are good. This is an example of an immigrant that citizens would welcome in this country. A crime is a crime, but clearly her ONLY crime would be that she was in the country illegally, yet there is a mass population of illegals (hat have defined themselves) who have committed crime after crime, including killing people while DUI, only to get a slap on the hand and sent home.

I guess if she had planned it better she should have dropped anchor before her 18th brithday.

Last edited by softblueyz; 07-19-2012 at 02:46 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,315,239 times
Quote:

Unlike many news articles, this one gives the correct depth to just how immigration law can be so treacherous...
Lauren Gray meets all the criteria — except one. She didn’t come to the U.S. illegally.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/17...#storylink=cpy

That's nuts. She has LESS "rights" than a sneak from Mexico or Canada. Sheesh!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,798,153 times
Quote:
Quote:
Lauren Gray meets all the criteria — except one. She didn’t come to the U.S. illegally.
She is far from resentful of illegal immigrants who are being allowed to stay.
“I mean, don’t get me wrong,” she said. “I don’t want to seem like I don’t agree with those giving immigrants rights. I think that is great. Good for them. They are fighting the same fight I’m fighting. They were brought here by their parents.”
At the same time, she feels she is the victim of a basic inequity.
Read more here: Gap in policy forces woman to deport herself, reluctantly - KansasCity.com

So basically illegals win and legal immigrants lose, what else is new?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,792,170 times
Quote:

Oh geez, she's going home to England, a very scary place I'm sure. Maybe she can claim she's forgotten her native language and is scared of the violence like other illegals. Or like those illegals from Mexico she could claim there's no colleges there and she will be denied a college education.

So how come she isn't able to get in on Obama's recent amnesty? Is that program reserved for only certain illegals that meet the ethnic or racial qualifications?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,792,170 times
Maybe she can go home to England, finish her education there, learn some job skills that would let her apply like so many others do to come here legally --- on her own. She's a grown up now, she can make some grown up decisions. It's extremely easy to obtain a foreign student visa. And that would let her find a career that would get her a work visa.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Well, let's just say that there IS a MAJORITY that certainly has defined itself.

Her situation is the exception to what has become the rule. I think most people who are "anti-illegal" would see this situation in a very different light, and possibly the deportation unfair (which I think it is), seeing as her circumstances and background are not the norm, and that would be for any illegal in her situation. She comes from a family that didn't take from the government, but quite the opposite. If she does return to England hopefully her chances of returning to the states LEGALLY are good. This is an example of an immigrant that citizens would welcome in this country. A crime is a crime, but clearly her ONLY crime would be that she was in the country illegally, yet there is a mass population of illegals (hat have defined themselves) who have committed crime after crime, including killing people while DUI, only to get a slap on the hand and sent home.

I guess if she had planned it better she should have dropped anchor before her 18th brithday.
It is damn well known I try to bring up contrasts, to get people to think. No, it's not a deportation per se. But she also isn't an "immigrant" (hence her going out-of-status, and becoming "illegal" if she doesn't leave). Why would immigration laws (that "anti-illegals" say to follow, when they aren't changing the goalposts) not apply to her for character, community support, or what her parents have done?

Even though her parents are entrepreneurs, her case becomes one based on U.S. citizen sponsors (her Grandparents) and quotas (her mother is adult and married). The Rule of Law says that even if it is one "crime" is the same as many, and committing that "crime" predisposes her to commit others (even to work for her parents after 21 it would be without authorization, and it would make her parents violate the law). It's been argued her that just "aiding and abetting" even a single family member with no immigration status should imperil the family to be rounded up and kicked out.

She has a chance at legally immigrating, it is just a matter of getting in that "line", right? Wait it out, I'm in (extremely rare) agreement with "malamute" that England is not particularly dangerous or a hardship. We don't "owe" anything to her parents or grandparents for many of the stances here. She doesn't bring any ethnic diversity from what her community would be either.

Who knows, she might even be like her mother, and marry someone from her home country to repeat this chain migration of "all" the relatives...

Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,714,664 times
Her parents came here on an E-2 investor non-immigrant visa. They knew they could not naturalize from that visa and that their children could not naturalize from it. Whats going to happen in a few years for the younger sister? same thing! While her wishes are nice (to one day become a US Citizen), the reality is the visa they entered on and stayed here by way of renewal is what is now causing her to leave, a "non-immigrant" visa which is usually only temporary unless applied for every so often to extend (which it seems is what the parents have been doing all these years). Blame the parents. I do commend her for leaving prior to becoming out-of-status. As mentioned above, she can apply through other visas and attempt to come back. From what the article says she may even receive a GC while she is in England which will allow her to come back as an LPR. Living 1 or 2 years on a long vacation wouldn't be too bad, I wish I could do that at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or