U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,636,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Correct, and the first settlers were not there to take anyone over, the Spanish had other things in mind. I still have no idea why the Amerindians on what is present day American soil weren't as advanced as their brothers down Souf'.
Not sure exactly what you mean--but there were enormous differences in the cultural levels of the natives here in America--just like the huge differences between the nomads of the Sahara and the cultured Egyptians---or the very cultured Chinese with the primitive nomadic Mongols. Or the advanced Romans as opposed to the barbaric tribes of N. Europe...

Some tribes here in the US were almost of "stone age" primitive levels--such as the Paiutes in the Great Basin...they lived just at the edge of starvation. Other tribes, in the Pacific Northwest, had elaborate cultures, Plank houses, plank wooden canoes, complex totem poles, etc...and lots of "free time" THe Indians of the Colorado Plateau built multi-story buildings.
Exactly why the Aztecs reached such a high civilization in Mexico, I couldn't say. But I know they had a "tribute" system. and "subjugated" other tribes--just like the Romans did in Europe.
The Indians also were in a constant state of "flux" before the Europeans arrived. There's now strong evidence that the Navajo only arrived in Arizona two or three centuries before the Spanish. They apparently came from Central Canada (language similarities) and arrived in AZ and "pushed" the locals out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,802,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Every Mexican I know thinks these groups are absolutely ridiculous.
sooooo true, specially we Mexicans that love our roots and know the true meaning of Aztlan and Aztec those groups put that to shame, they have no idea where Aztlan was and how Aztecs guided by Huitzilopotchli found their promised land, when they did they called it Mexico and Became Mexicas

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-31-2007 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
You my friend, are one helluva guy!

Amen to that!

My father always had great admiration for the Mexican people, illegal or not. He worked with them in construction, in the orchards, and in the fields. He also had great respect for the N. Vietnamese although he felt they couldn't be trusted. He, like many veterans, maintained an impressive array of weaponry. It's what brought him and myself and my brothers close together. He taught us how to shoot, how to fight with knives and fists alike. His methods were crude but effective. Anyway, if he were alive today I know he would be very saddened by such things as Aztlan and similar movements.
Peace
I think I understand you man, I was in the scouts, we didn't use guns but learnt how to hunt, use knifes, axes and stuff we also learnt how to survive in the wild, we learnt morse code and a lot of useful things, I guess that if it brought you guys closer it was a positive thing, I'm sure your father must be in heaven really proud of all his sons.

Peace bro!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The flagrant and socially sanctioned racism for one; the corruption that makes Louisiana look like Sweden, as well as the machismo are but three examples.

Here in the USA we have the same problems but they are of a much lesser magnitude.
I think that self criticism is healthy and ArizonaBear is right on this, we have those problems. American culture has other flaws though, different than ours, we also have some things right, I guess you can't have it all.

btw, my mom is a helluva strong person she raised me and my brother in a way totally different than a latinamerican macho family.

However Racism in Mexico is different, is not so based in skin color but more on social status i'll explain about that more in a thread I guess.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
When was the last time they fought a war?
Actually we are at war in Mexico right now, and it's one of the worst we've ever had, it's a war based on.

Respect for the law vs Completely lack of respect for it
Democracy vs Opressive regimes
Honesty vs Corruption
Equality vs Extreme poverty
Third world old habits vs First world ideas

thankfully the good side is winning!!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 AM

4,682 posts, read 7,334,382 times
If it makes anyone feel better, they might have LA and Miami, but we now have Cancun and Acapulco and on the way to having Puerto Vallarta. JK.... !

Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 AM

4,682 posts, read 7,334,382 times
If the illegal Mexicans love their country so much, they should stay and fight to make Mexico a better place where the rich don't control everything.

And if the Mexican upper classes really care about their country and about justice, they would relinquish some of their wealth instead of just send their poor across the border.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 AM

635 posts, read 1,164,101 times
Are there KKK members who want slavery back? Are all white people white supremacists? Do some illegal immigrants believe in Aztlan? Do all illegal immigrants believe in Aztlan?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,440,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
If it makes anyone feel better, they might have LA and Miami, but we now have Cancun and Acapulco and on the way to having Puerto Vallarta. JK.... !
That may be too true to be funny.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That may be too true to be funny.
I don't think that's a bad thing, I have tons of good friends from the states living in Puerto Vallarta

see, we are walking a 2 way street here, why not sharing instead of being selfish

my home is yours brothers, feel free to enjoy it with respect and take good care of it, because it is your own too (I wish that people burning flags and having those small petty thoughts twisting the meaning of aztlan would understand this too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration