Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I will agree with you that we did adopt a Westren European culture, but we also adopted Religion, Mathematics and Science form the Mid-East. Medicine, Philosphy, Government, Arts all are influenced by Classical Greek and Roman Societies.

We loved the English/Anglo ways so much...We revolted against their briliant ideas of Government.

If we had a English/Anglo culture we would be like Cananda and have a Queen as our Head of state and a Parilment style of legislation.

Instead we have a Bi-racial President elected by the People.

Even American Food culture has come form the New World...Turkey, Tomatos, potatos, corn, were indigenous.
And, most of what you pointed out are now 'Anglo' cultural traits.

Obama is also an Anglo IMHO despite being of part Black ancestry. Since there can be Black Hispanics; why not Black Anglos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
American culture is a polyglot culture - We all have common elements like English (yes, even children of illegals learn English, and in the case of Spanish speaking children of illegals, their Spanish gets Americanisms) and we all have common foods, but we also all have bits of regional and ethnic variations (Portuguese, Jamaican, Chinese, southern US, southwestern US, et al)
For that matter: virtually all nations are 'polyglot' to some degree----------which still does not diminish the dominant culture of said nations.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
It sure would easier to move our border a bit south....
That is coming. Watch how Mexico handles its drug wars. IMHO it is just a matter of time before we see the US military in places like Juarez and Tijuana-------at the residents' request. Then that will lead to the dismantling of any aspect of Mexican culture that conflicts with ours----------up to and the use of the Spanish language in favor of English for official business.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And, most of what you pointed out are now 'Anglo' cultural traits.

Obama is also an Anglo IMHO despite being of part Black ancestry. Since there can be Black Hispanics; why not Black Anglos?

You Win...Black Anglos. President Obama is a black anglo.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
I will agree with you that we did adopt a Westren European culture, but we also adopted Religion, Mathematics and Science form the Mid-East. Medicine, Philosphy, Government, Arts all are influenced by Classical Greek and Roman Societies.

We loved the English/Anglo ways so much...We revolted against their briliant ideas of Government.

If we had a English/Anglo culture we would be like Cananda and have a Queen as our Head of state and a Parilment style of legislation.

Instead we have a Bi-racial President elected by the People.

Even American Food culture has come form the New World...Turkey, Tomatos, potatos, corn, were indigenous.
You just don't seem to get what an "identifying and dominant" culture is. Let me explain it to you this way. Is Mexico known for being British European in culture? No, it isn't. It is Hispanic culturally. Is Mexico's dominant and identifying language, English or Chinese? No, it isn't. It is Spanish. Yes, like the U.S. there are other culture's of people living there and other languages spoken but that shouldn't be confused with what Mexico's identity as a nation is.

Race has nothing to do with the culture of our country either. Yes, Obama is bi-racial but so what? Blacks have always been a part of the fabric of this country and so have other races over time. But for the most part they have all assimilated to our mainstream culture while some still practice their ancestoral cultures at home. I don't know how to explain to you any better.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM

12 posts, read 13,079 times
Texdav states: I am sure they called new york a italian takeover in the past. Chicagonut stated: Except the Italians came here legally.

There were indeed those in the population that did not like it, like the Irish to name just one group and they most likely felt that way. However, they did indeed come in legally through Ellis Island and thus were documented. They then were required to pay taxes and earned entitlement to the social services they might have needed later in life. Moreover, they assimilated to this country and its ideals, not change them and its entire fabric to the one of the country they came from. To me, it is even unfortunate that there is now a Chinatown and little Italy in a number of states. I have also heard of events that describe people of different etnicities being cast out of those neighborhoods because of being different. You can be proud of your heritage and talk the language in your own home, but if you choose to come to this country because of what it is and what it stands for, then you need to do so by the rule of law as others have done before. Most importantly, all those that do come here legally and all those that are born in this great nation, have to understand that they are American first and foremost.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
mozdierz: I would argue that the Italians assimilated into American culture and changed the fabric of American culture (establishing Italian-American cuisine, spreading Roman Catholicism)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdzierz View Post
Texdav states: I am sure they called new york a italian takeover in the past. Chicagonut stated: Except the Italians came here legally.

There were indeed those in the population that did not like it, like the Irish to name just one group and they most likely felt that way. However, they did indeed come in legally through Ellis Island and thus were documented. They then were required to pay taxes and earned entitlement to the social services they might have needed later in life. Moreover, they assimilated to this country and its ideals, not change them and its entire fabric to the one of the country they came from. To me, it is even unfortunate that there is now a Chinatown and little Italy in a number of states. I have also heard of events that describe people of different etnicities being cast out of those neighborhoods because of being different. You can be proud of your heritage and talk the language in your own home, but if you choose to come to this country because of what it is and what it stands for, then you need to do so by the rule of law as others have done before. Most importantly, all those that do come here legally and all those that are born in this great nation, have to understand that they are American first and foremost.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You just don't seem to get what an "identifying and dominant" culture is. Let me explain it to you this way. Is Mexico known for being British European in culture? No, it isn't. It is Hispanic culturally. Is Mexico's dominant and identifying language, English or Chinese? No, it isn't. It is Spanish. Yes, like the U.S. there are other culture's of people living there and other languages spoken but that shouldn't be confused with what Mexico's identity as a nation is.

Race has nothing to do with the culture of our country either. Yes, Obama is bi-racial but so what? Blacks have always been a part of the fabric of this country and so have other races over time. But for the most part they have all assimilated to our mainstream culture while some still practice their ancestoral cultures at home. I don't know how to explain to you any better.
I understand your point...but the times we are living in right now is a snap shot in time...200 years ago, American wasnt as is now. 200 years from now, America will be different from today. In 2210, who knows what language America will be speaking? Maybe American's brains will be bigger and most all Americans of 2210 will be able to speak 5 different languages fluently...Cant stop change.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 13,079 times
I would counter with the following: There is a difference between changing the fabric of American culture and creating it.

When you melt all of the cultures together, you effectively create America. Just as the mixes of Italian, Irish, Polish, Ect has done to create America. However, when you refuse to assimilate, don't want to learn the historical lanuage of the country you came to, create a microculture community within an already existing culture of mixes, you are trying to change it to the culture you left, not continuing to build upon the mix of cultures that it has become.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
I understand your point...but the times we are living in right now is a snap shot in time...200 years ago, American wasnt as is now. 200 years from now, America will be different from today. In 2210, who knows what language America will be speaking? Maybe American's brains will be bigger and most all Americans of 2210 will be able to speak 5 different languages fluently...Cant stop change.
What we are talking about is the here and now. Today our language is still English and our culture still remains a melting pot. "Out of many ONE". Our culture has not changed that much via the melting pot. The main flavor of the stew still remain while other ingrediants have been added and blended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration