U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,655,782 times

Advertisements

I love all of this romanticizing of European immigrants. This piece pretty much lays out what bullsh*t you guys are spewing.

De-Romanticizing Our Immigrant Past: Why Claiming "My Family Came Legally" Is Often a Myth | Immigration Policy Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,555,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I love all of this romanticizing of European immigrants. This piece pretty much lays out what bullsh*t you guys are spewing.

De-Romanticizing Our Immigrant Past: Why Claiming "My Family Came Legally" Is Often a Myth | Immigration Policy Center
You should try reading your own link. It's about "then" and "now".

Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM

LOL...yea..i know all about the "then and now." Then white, now brown.

Anyway...moving on.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,555,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...yea..i know all about the "then and now." Then white, now brown.

Anyway...moving on.
What has race have to do with anything? Are you confused? Did you think you were in the POC forum where all the racist threads are??

You seem to be quite the opinionated individual judging from your posts. Seems you think of yourself as the only "smart" member of C-D.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What has race have to do with anything? Are you confused? Did you think you were in the POC forum where all the racist threads are??

You seem to be quite the opinionated individual judging from your posts. Seems you think of yourself as the only "smart" member of C-D.
No...when i come to C-D, I long ago realized that i'm in the company of geniuses.

"What does race have to do with this?" Nothing. Immigration is a topic TOTALLY devoid of any racial aspects. LMAO

Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,015,365 times
Quote:
The government did that when they couldn't pronounce the family name of immigrants that passed through Ellis Island.
Another myth: Our Name Was Changed at Ellis Island - Dispelling the Myth of Ellis Island Name Changes

Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,015,365 times
Quote:
WRONG!!! Illegal immigrants are not "new immigrants"...
The context was that there has been resistance to all new immigrants for the history of the United States...

Quote:
...So you don't distract or detract from a debate everytime you use your wife and stepsons as an example to justify illegal immigration?...
Stepson (singular), although there could be two boys in there as freakishly huge as he is...

Quote:
...Good to know that opposing comments are written by people who have no value to what they say, but apparently you think what you post does have value. How does that work?
Experience...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Historically, no. Immigration didn't have any structure to it for the majority of time the United States had immigrants coming here. And for someone that relates the borders as "wide-open" today, there would be nothing stopping someone that skirted the administration of new arrivals, and simply set up house where they wanted..
Again, in reality, MOST immigrants who entered this country during that era came through Ellis Island. They did not sneak into this country. They were questioned by Federal officials, identified, and screened for diseases. Most were granted admission, but some were not. Did some manage to circumvent this process? Absolutely. However, we did not have untold millions entering this country without inspection, and without permission from the U.S. Government. Yes, PERMISSION.

Quote:
When taken at base motivation, European immigrants in the past came for exactly the same reason as illegal aliens do today. I can't address your wild speculation when it is without reliably sourced data. When your view of history talks about "permission" for immigrants that came at times and paths that were not screened, we would be unable to reach any agreement to this discussion anyway.
Their reasons for coming are irrelevant. What wild speculation? It is a FACT they entered with the permission of the U.S. Government, and it is a FACT the benefits and services available today did not exist at the time.

Not screened? Do you know anything about U.S. History? Here's a free lesson. . . .

Quote:
Ellis Island opened in 1892 as a federal immigration station, a purpose it served for more than 60 years (it closed in 1954).
Ellis Island — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Quote:
When they landed, the immigrants had numbered tags pinned to their clothes which indicated the manifest page and line number on which their names appeared. These numbers were later used by immigration inspectors to cross- reference immigrants about their right to land.

Though relatively few immigrants who landed at Ellis Island were denied entry, the two percent that were excluded often equaled over a thousand people a month during peak immigration years.

Of primary concern were cholera, favus (scalp and nail fungus), insanity, and mental impairments. In 1907, legislation further barred immigrants suffering from tuberculosis, epilepsy, and the physically disabled. The disease which resulted in the most exclusions, however, was trachoma, a highly contagious eye infection that could cause blindness and death.

The sick were taken to Ellis Island Hospital for observation and care, and once recovered, could proceed with their legal inspection. Those with incurable or disabling ailments, however, were excluded and returned to their port of departure at the expense of the steamship line on which they arrived. In an attempt to discourage steamship companies from transporting ill, disabled, or impoverished passengers, an immigration law of 1903 imposed a hundred dollar fine for every excluded passenger.
Ellis Island

As for food stamps, please note initially they had to be purchased. They were not "free."

Quote:
The First Food Stamp Program (FSP) - May 16, 1939-Spring 1943

The program operated by permitting people on relief to buy orange stamps equal to their normal food expenditures; for every $1 worth of orange stamps purchased, 50 cents worth of blue stamps were received. Orange stamps could be used to buy any food; blue stamps could only be used to buy food determined by the Department to be surplus.

The first recipient was Mabel McFiggin of Rochester, New York
Quote:
Pilot Food Stamp Program - May 29, 1961-1964

Mr. and Mrs. Alderson Muncy of Paynesville, West Virginia, were the first food stamp recipients on May 29, 1961. They purchased $95 in food stamps for their 15-person household.
So, from 1892-1939 (47 years) immigrants could not even "purchase" food stamps, let alone receive them free of charge.

The pilot program for WIC was in 1972. So, they certainly couldn't have received that benefit.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...LAEX6TIDn_am7g

The peak year for immigration was 1907. Subsidized housing was unavailable until 1937.

Quote:
The original federal housing assistance program that would eventually become Section 8 was established in the US Housing Act of 1937 during the Great Depression due to the housing crisis accompanying a massive economic collapse. The US Housing Act of 1937 itself was built upon the National Housing Act of 1934, which established the Federal Housing Administration and was another Great Depression bill enacted to make housing more affordable. The United States Housing Authority was created by the 1937 bill to control and manage the payment of subsidies.
Section 8 Information

Perhaps you'd like to post more "reliably sourced" data to refute my "wild speculation."

Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Quote:
The context was that there has been resistance to all new immigrants for the history of the United States...
The "resistance" is to ILLEGAL immigration. Most citizens have no objection to immigrants here in compliance with our laws.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

31,678 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Quote:
A notion, especially regarding travel costs of the time, that an olden-day immigrant is going to return home destitute is far-fetched (I had one Great Great Grandfather that returned to bring his prospective bride). They came in groups, many times multi-family. All of my lines, strictly from Europe, were here before the establishment of Ellis Island, and would have had no audits to their fitness or legality.

The ultimate point is how anyone would really know. Don't believe family stories, they are embellished at the very least, pure fiction at the worst. I have found direct relatives that split apart families, had court judgements of fraud leveled against them, perjured themselves in testimony, and committed suicide. More distantly a rapist executed by the state, and violent family feuds.

Germanic areas and Swedes (a full third of their population over time) often left to get out of mandatory military conscription. Stories of gold rushes and open land for the taking lured immigrants. For many even in Europe there was no chance to better their lot, and America was viewed as a path that could be easier on themselves.

There has also always been a resistance to new immigrants, and whole American policies developed on the stereotypes of another group of people...

I recognize the factors of illegal immigration, but I also realize the misconceptions and lies that are spread about it. When I see deception and other motivations trying to unfairly prove a point, I know that it distracts and detracts from the debate. Most of the time I will even quickly scan through an opposing comment because I know the author has no value to what they are saying, and it is not worthy of a response.

Others that want to ignore or avoid my posts because I irritate them, well that is fine too...
What new immigrants are being met with resistance today? When I use the word immigrant I am not referring to illegal immigrants but legal immigrants.

What does it matter if someone's statistics might be off in regards to illegal immigration? Shouldn't all that matter is that they are here illegally and therefore worthy of our disdain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or