Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Truck crash in Texas kills 11 suspected illegal immigrants - Yahoo! News

23 "suspected" illegals crammed into one pick up truck. Highly unlikely they were citizens heading to a family picnic.

Quote:
A pickup truck jammed with suspected illegal immigrants crashed into a tree along a rural Texas highway on Sunday, killing 11 passengers and injuring 12 others, police said.

The one-vehicle crash on Highway 59 near Goliad, Texas, some 80 miles south of San Antonio near the Gulf of Mexico coastline, was the second fatal accident in the past three months that involved human smuggling in the region.

How did they manage to cross the border undetected in a pick up truck?

Other articles mention that children died and there are survivors that are in critical condition. This a tragedy which could have been avoided if they had just stayed in their own country. Assuming US law will take effect, the survivors will be deported once they recover from their injuries.

We have more illegals than there are jobs for them. Why are they still coming when according to some they are self-deporting because of the poor US economy (losing jobs? no jobs? avoiding deportation?) Or would it be all the encouragement they are getting on their Spanish only radios, televisions and leaflets telling them about all the government benefits awaiting them in the US??

Last edited by softblueyz; 07-23-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

23 "suspected" illegals crammed into one pick up truck. Highly unlikely they were citizens heading to a family picnic.

Other articles mention that children died and there are survivors that are in critical condition. This a tragedy which could have been avoided if they had just stayed in their own country. Assuming US law will take effect, the survivors will be deported once they recover from their injuries.

We have more illegals than there are jobs for them. Why are they still coming when according to some they are self-deporting because of the poor US economy (losing jobs? no jobs? avoiding deportation?) Or would it be all the encouragement they are getting on their Spanish only radios, televisions and leaflets telling them about all the government benefits awaiting them in the US??
A tragedy indeed. If illegal aliens, they wouldn't have crossed that area of the border by pickup truck. Ports of Entry are the only bridges, and the river and barriers are too much to drive a truck through.

I do ponder sometimes what could have happened to my kids if they had "just stayed in their own country"...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A tragedy indeed. If illegal aliens, they wouldn't have crossed that area of the border by pickup truck. Ports of Entry are the only bridges, and the river and barriers are too much to drive a truck through.

I do ponder sometimes what could have happened to my kids if they had "just stayed in their own country"...
Are you saying that they weren't illegal aliens? or did they tunnel through or climb a fence and someone was waiting for them on the other side?

My understanding is that your wife and her children are legal. Did they enter the US illegally?

I don't know why the worry about them having to stay in Mexico. I can think of other countries that would be cause for concern, but not Mexico.

Last edited by softblueyz; 07-23-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Most likely they came over and the truck was waiting for them on the US side.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Yay! More bills for the American taxpayer to foot! Woohoo!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:

They are not at this point coming for jobs. They are coming for the amnesty Obama will be granting them and also the food stamps they will be getting. The only thing they need is some employer giving them false employment documents, and being they are masters at creating false I.D.'s this is easy enough to prove they have been here for over 5 years.
They won't be deported.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM

What I don't get is that they love their country so much, why don't they fight for it? Why don't they unite and rebel against the corrupt government and the cartels? They sure as heck know how to pick a fight in the US with their demands. Using the very civil rights that Americans have died defending.

People have died and will continue to die in other countries fighting the same thing that exists in Mexico - a corrupt government, poverty, jobs, some under military rule. Why do Mexicans run instead of staying and fighting for their country?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Mexican version of the Clown Car.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

HappyTexan is probably right. Often illegals are assisted by family/friends already in the US. They were probably waiting for them with the truck. After all, who rides those many people in a pickup truck? Not to mention, it's illegal.

You said your wife and her kids came here legally, so I fail to see a connection. Plus, we can't admit the entire world. If they don't qualify through our legal immigration process, we obviously don't need them.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most likely they came over and the truck was waiting for them on the US side.
Yes, that is a much more realistic scenario...

Quote:
Are you saying that they weren't illegal aliens? or did they tunnel through or climb a fence and someone was waiting for them on the other side?

My understanding is that your wife and her children are legal. Did they enter the US illegally?

I don't know why the worry about them having to stay in Mexico. I can think of other countries that would be cause for concern, but not Mexico.
Tunnels are in Arizona and California. They don't work so well to go under the Rio Grande in Texas. It is even likely this wasn't a single day transit, or just involving one vehicle to get to the point of the wreck.

No, my family is here legally, I just wonder sometimes how dangerous it would have been "to stay in their own country". My son is freakishly huge, who knows what kind of offers he would have had to be some kind of enforcer. To quote an immigrant from Nicaragua in The Naturalized: "It's like a pause button, so that part of what would have been your life was never played.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration