U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,279 posts, read 1,147,663 times
Reputation: 1333

Advertisements

Although against federal laws, the Obama administration has decided to not deport illegal immigrants until after they have a serious criminal record.

So here will be some of the costs of that decision.

Illegal immigrant pleads guilty to raping an 11-year-old girl - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM
 
153 posts, read 108,601 times
Reputation: 37
Strong emotional appeal, but what's the arguement? Some illegal aliens are violent criminals? Every demographic has them. A better statistic would be the violent crimes rate between illegals and comparable people of socio-economic status with citizenship.

Or is your argument that he deserves more punishment? I agree if you do. Just make it publicly known in jail he's a kid rapist. The inmates will do the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Reputation: 26668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
Strong emotional appeal, but what's the arguement? Some illegal aliens are violent criminals? Every demographic has them. A better statistic would be the violent crimes rate between illegals and comparable people of socio-economic status with citizenship.

Or is your argument that he deserves more punishment? I agree if you do. Just make it publicly known in jail he's a kid rapist. The inmates will do the rest.
How does that help the girl he raped?

If we enforced our laws, she wouldn't have been raped in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,279 posts, read 1,147,663 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
Strong emotional appeal, but what's the arguement? Some illegal aliens are violent criminals? Every demographic has them. A better statistic would be the violent crimes rate between illegals and comparable people of socio-economic status with citizenship.

Or is your argument that he deserves more punishment? I agree if you do. Just make it publicly known in jail he's a kid rapist. The inmates will do the rest.
We keep making it easier and easier for people to stay that are caught here illegally. Using criminal records fail because a rapist is not a rapist until after he rapes, at which point it is to late . Then there is the cost of "due process" for them. I am not really concerned about crime by citizens in this topic. Our govt is suppose to catch and punish citizens that commit crimes but we should never even be subjected to crime from foreigners that sneak into the country, get caught, then get to remain here.

How does an illegal not have a serious record anyway since he is an illegal? Not only should we enforce the laws on the books (instead of the President just stating policy, which is also illegal), but we should create one more law that reads "If you are ever caught in the U.S.A. illegally for any reason you can never become a citizen". Also, we should charge the costs to any home country that provides help or encouragement for it's citizens to come here illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Look at the riots in Anaheim. And that's in a state that caters to illegals in every way it can.

We're taking in the riff-raff of Mexico and Central America, those at the very bottom who cannot make it in their own countries can simply come on in and be given cradle-to-grave social programs to make sure they live very well here -- but even that isn't enough to keep many happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Look at the riots in Anaheim. And that's in a state that caters to illegals in every way it can.

We're taking in the riff-raff of Mexico and Central America, those at the very bottom who cannot make it in their own countries can simply come on in and be given cradle-to-grave social programs to make sure they live very well here -- but even that isn't enough to keep many happy.
So very true. That's one of the reasons Mexico's middle class is thriving, and its unemployment is lower than the US unemployment rate. The illiterates come over here for a better life -- yeah, their own countries won't coddle them like we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
So very true. That's one of the reasons Mexico's middle class is thriving, and its unemployment is lower than the US unemployment rate. The illiterates come over here for a better life -- yeah, their own countries won't coddle them like we do.
Which doesn't resolve logically unless you are considering the Mexicans immigrating legally to also be "illiterate" and of a lower-class...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Which doesn't resolve logically unless you are considering the Mexicans immigrating legally to also be "illiterate" and of a lower-class...
That depends a lot on the visa they're getting to come here. If they're competing with other immigrants for H1B visas, they're generally going to be some-what educated and middle class. Family sponsored immigrants don't have to have anything going for them -- just a relative here willing to bring them on in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8357
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Which doesn't resolve logically unless you are considering the Mexicans immigrating legally to also be "illiterate" and of a lower-class...
How did you jump to that conclusion since the discussion is about illegal immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How did you jump to that conclusion since the discussion is about illegal immigrants?
Apparently "malamute" was able to determine the link in my response...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top