U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You said that the cardholder would pay for card issue, even if citizens are not required to carry it, there is a cost and a process to implement the system. Current Social Security cards are replaced at no cost at first lost. A current Resident Card is at least $10 to make the card itself, and costs close to $400 (with biometric data) to be replaced.

Purely as a replacement to a Social Security card, in its hiring verification, the costs would be higher than what it would provide...
These are separate issues. One is the biometric card replacing the SS card, and the other, the green card.

The biometric would be funded by taxpayers, the same as our current SS card. I'm not sure why you believe there is not cost. While the original card is issued at no cost to the card holder, the cards are far from free. They are funded by taxpayers.

All required documents for immigrants would be fee-based.

Illegal immigration has already cost this country more money than we can even begin to estimate. And, we will be paying for years for their over 4 million U.S.-born children. Whatever the cost to replace our current SS card with the biometric will be but a tiny drop in the bucket. Clearly, we can no longer rely on the SS card.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,599,458 times
Immigration System for United States of America

My goal: the US government should not interfere in the business relationship between an employer and employee from another country. The US goal is only to verify that this person is A) who they say they are B) are not wanted for criminal or other activities.

Ideal outline
- any job posted for greater than 30days can be then moved to "open door" status
- all jobs in open door status report requirements report job to central database, with salary
- immigration kiosks setup in areas with low technology/high migration (i.e. Mexico)
- potential job seekers can apply via kiosk or home internet connection to open door jobs. State (Mexico/etc) valid Id required.
- valid ID /information, i.e. Mexico must vet person X is person Y with background (or lack of criminal background)
- once accepted, print out a boarding pass item with unique identifier and photo identification to boarder
- in no more than 30minutes the US government verifies the person and prints workforce papers aligned to job X
- fee for entry is no more the the daily wage for entry country
-company must report loss of job, and the persons lack of status
- person has 30days to find another job before export procedures. May apply to any "open door" job during this period without issue.
- any person in the country illegally pays a fine (minimum wage x 8) and then can use the open door job bank without re-entry in origin country (note: applicants will not show up as applied to a position if there are non-illegal open door applicants to prevent employers to prioritize nearby illegals vs. far away "by the book")

citizenship
-- persons holding continuous employment for a period of 7 years can begin the citizenship process.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
These are separate issues. One is the biometric card replacing the SS card, and the other, the green card.

The biometric would be funded by taxpayers, the same as our current SS card. I'm not sure why you believe there is not cost. While the original card is issued at no cost to the card holder, the cards are far from free. They are funded by taxpayers.

All required documents for immigrants would be fee-based.

Illegal immigration has already cost this country more money than we can even begin to estimate. And, we will be paying for years for their over 4 million U.S.-born children. Whatever the cost to replace our current SS card with the biometric will be but a tiny drop in the bucket. Clearly, we can no longer rely on the SS card.
So, your plan has no changes to Residence Cards (the latest issues are now back to a green color again). I was saying that currently if someone loses their Social Security card, they can generally get the first replacement cost-free (the card production fee is absorbed by the SSA, just like for first issues). Of course card loss under your scheme would be more problematic, and would probably require a fault-based cost for reissue.

I lost my original card (in a wallet) over 25 years ago. Until just a few years ago (when applying for the cards for all my family) I didn't even attempt to get a replacement. Never really needed the physical card in that period, haven't used it since reissue, and can't remember any time I had to pull out the original.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
So, your plan has no changes to Residence Cards (the latest issues are now back to a green color again). I was saying that currently if someone loses their Social Security card, they can generally get the first replacement cost-free (the card production fee is absorbed by the SSA, just like for first issues). Of course card loss under your scheme would be more problematic, and would probably require a fault-based cost for reissue.
Replacing the new card would be less problematic and much more streamlined than the current system. A birth certificate or other documents wouldn't be required to verify your identity, because your biometrics would already be in the system. Fingerprinting would be all that's necessary. Your fingerprints are always with you, and they can't be faked.

It's too bad criminal aliens have destroyed a system that worked perfectly well for decades prior to the invasion. But, when a country has millions of illegal alien fraudsters stealing SSNs from the living and the dead, or purchasing fake SS cards from criminal enterprises, something has to be done. While my immigration law is purely hypothetical, I assure you, a tamper-proof, duplicate-proof document in already in the works. And, the sooner it's implemented, the better. This can be added to the countless list of unnecessary costs created by massive illegal immigration. Of course, this could easily have been avoided had the government secured our borders and enforced our laws.

Quote:
I lost my original card (in a wallet) over 25 years ago. Until just a few years ago (when applying for the cards for all my family) I didn't even attempt to get a replacement. Never really needed the physical card in that period, haven't used it since reissue, and can't remember any time I had to pull out the original.
Your situation isn't unusual. In fact, most people rarely need to actually produce their SS card. Frankly, I haven't seen my card in years. In addition, while I reclaimed my maiden name with my divorce decree, I haven't updated my info with SSA, so my statements still list my married name. Yet, I have never had a problem working on federal projects, or obtaining mortgage/car loans and credit cards using my SSN. Nor have I had an issue with the IRS. Not once has my identity been questioned. Of course, one day I will get around to updating my info. But, I can easily verify my identity.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,389,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Replacing the new card would be less problematic and much more streamlined than the current system. A birth certificate or other documents wouldn't be required to verify your identity, because your biometrics would already be in the system. Fingerprinting would be all that's necessary. Your fingerprints are always with you, and they can't be faked.

It's too bad criminal aliens have destroyed a system that worked perfectly well for decades prior to the invasion. But, when a country has millions of illegal alien fraudsters stealing SSNs from the living and the dead, or purchasing fake SS cards from criminal enterprises, something has to be done. While my immigration law is purely hypothetical, I assure you, a tamper-proof, duplicate-proof document in already in the works. And, the sooner it's implemented, the better. This can be added to the countless list of unnecessary costs created by massive illegal immigration. Of course, this could easily have been avoided had the government secured our borders and enforced our laws.

Your situation isn't unusual. In fact, most people rarely need to actually produce their SS card. Frankly, I haven't seen my card in years. In addition, while I reclaimed my maiden name with my divorce decree, I haven't updated my info with SSA, so my statements still list my married name. Yet, I have never had a problem working on federal projects, or obtaining mortgage/car loans and credit cards using my SSN. Nor have I had an issue with the IRS. Not once has my identity been questioned. Of course, one day I will get around to updating my info. But, I can easily verify my identity.
I've lived in a few places here in Arizona; I had to show my SS card AND my DL for each place that hired me AND show that same info to rent a place to live. No; I don't have a problem showing those docs.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,044,047 times
public schools are funded by taxpayers. Green-card holders pay the same taxes citizens do, so why should green-card holders not be able to send their children to public schools?

That is unless, under benicar's rules green-card holders would not have to pay taxes that support public schools.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Benicar, would you ban dual-citizenship like some countries do?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Immigration System for United States of America

My goal: the US government should not interfere in the business relationship between an employer and employee from another country. The US goal is only to verify that this person is A) who they say they are B) are not wanted for criminal or other activities.

Ideal outline
- any job posted for greater than 30days can be then moved to "open door" status
- all jobs in open door status report requirements report job to central database, with salary
- immigration kiosks setup in areas with low technology/high migration (i.e. Mexico)
- potential job seekers can apply via kiosk or home internet connection to open door jobs. State (Mexico/etc) valid Id required.
- valid ID /information, i.e. Mexico must vet person X is person Y with background (or lack of criminal background)
- once accepted, print out a boarding pass item with unique identifier and photo identification to boarder
- in no more than 30minutes the US government verifies the person and prints workforce papers aligned to job X
- fee for entry is no more the the daily wage for entry country
-company must report loss of job, and the persons lack of status
- person has 30days to find another job before export procedures. May apply to any "open door" job during this period without issue.
- any person in the country illegally pays a fine (minimum wage x 8) and then can use the open door job bank without re-entry in origin country (note: applicants will not show up as applied to a position if there are non-illegal open door applicants to prevent employers to prioritize nearby illegals vs. far away "by the book")

citizenship
-- persons holding continuous employment for a period of 7 years can begin the citizenship process.
I agree with this, but I would want to see a similar system for other countries so the movement of labor works both ways and not just easy of coming here but americans having difficulties working abroad.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
public schools are funded by taxpayers. Green-card holders pay the same taxes citizens do, so why should green-card holders not be able to send their children to public schools?

That is unless, under benicar's rules green-card holders would not have to pay taxes that support public schools.
Citizens with no children attending public schools still pay property taxes. I paid property taxes in MD for 13 years while my son attended private schools. Heck, I pay property taxes in MD and PA, and I haven't lived in PA in years. Big deal. Non-citizens receive plenty of tax-funded services in this country. I seriously doubt their taxes cover all costs. Again, if they don't like our laws, they are free to remain in their countries of origin.

Oh, by the way, I borrowed that section of my law from Mexico's policy.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Benicar, would you ban dual-citizenship like some countries do?
Yes. I don't believe one can hold allegiance to two countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration