U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,474,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Ghost, read up on ancient Roman history. Understand why they fell. Understand why societies like Iraq and Canada have so many problems. Canada with a French culture and a Canadian culture, Iraq with a Shiite, and Sunni cultures.

You want to coexist with the Mexicans, be forced to learn their language, etc? Good, but you are a minority. And that goes for both sides. They will expect us to learn and cater to them, and we will expect the exact same. Tensions will rise.

No country can survive with two competing cultural bases. It has, and never will happen. History will repeat itself in the United States, because these illegals refuse to assimilate.
Gee and somehow we survived slavery & them "Negroes" huh? Your arguements sound just like the racists in the 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 AM

383 posts, read 1,020,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Gee and somehow we survived slavery & them "Negroes" huh? Your arguements sound just like the racists in the 50s.
Yes, throw the racist card around. That is how we haven't, and won't solve the problems in our country. Because those Americans who actually give a damn about this country are 'racists'. You add to the dillusion and current problem we are facing.

Ghost, your post would be legitimate if Mexican-Americans weren't doing everything in that article. But they are. They are refusing to assimilate into our culture, they are creating their own Quebec in California and Southern US. France, Malaysia, etc, all having their own extreme immigration problems. Right now in France, they voted for a conservative leader for the first time in years, and the main reason was to counter illegal Muslim immigration. All over Europe, countries are electing conservative leaders. It started in Germany, and right now it looks like the Netherlands are following the same foot.

Mexicans are encourging isolationism of their culture from ours. After living here for 20 plus years, you would think some illegals would have learned English by now. You would think they would have enough respect to fly the American flag, seeing as they want to be 'AMERICANS.' You would think that in California they wouldn't have protests promoting Aztlan and La Raza, a Mexican supremacy group similar to the Black Panthers, the KKK, and the other Mexican Chicano movement.

I will post more later, but I have to go to class.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
We must have one form of government, one set of laws, and one language so we can remain one nation!
we have multiple languages and we're still one nation. the idea of a "republic" was that each state could have their own laws, but still be a united country. "and to the republic for which it stands"... so although a single form of government is necessary, a single set of laws and a single language are not. and that is reinforced by the founding fathers. were they not the greatest patriots?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, throw the racist card around. That is how we haven't, and won't solve the problems in our country. Because those Americans who actually give a damn about this country are 'racists'. You add to the dillusion and current problem we are facing.
so tell me how we overcame segregation? are we not a better nation because of it? would you rather have "whites-only" drinking fountains and japanese internment camps? the united states has a history of racism and sexism. we have, thankfully, overcome them one at a time. i dont see why overcoming a fear of mexicans shouldnt be just another stepping stone in our nation's overall cultural evolution.

Quote:
Ghost, your post would be legitimate if Mexican-Americans weren't doing everything in that article. But they are. They are refusing to assimilate into our culture, they are creating their own Quebec in California and Southern US. France, Malaysia, etc, all having their own extreme immigration problems.
our culture is a hybrid culture. it continually evolves. that is what makes it great.

Quote:
Right now in France, they voted for a conservative leader for the first time in years, and the main reason was to counter illegal Muslim immigration. All over Europe, countries are electing conservative leaders. It started in Germany, and right now it looks like the Netherlands are following the same foot.
i would like to see a source for the claim france voted in their leader mainly to counter muslim immigration. a lot of conservatives, traditionally, are for smaller government. why do you think so many people want ron paul in office? it doesnt mean we're sick of immigration. it means we're sick of our governments.

Quote:
Mexicans are encourging isolationism of their culture from ours. After living here for 20 plus years, you would think some illegals would have learned English by now.
of course some have. to think otherwise is absolutely incorrect. but as with most first-generation immigrants, it is their children who are more able to learn the language, and that is exactly what is happening.

Quote:
You would think they would have enough respect to fly the American flag, seeing as they want to be 'AMERICANS.'
some do. many dont fly any flag. many european immigrants fly their flags, be it italian or english. many asians flaunt their culture. how many symbols have you seen tattooed in japanese or chinese? but we accept that as part of our culture. why cant we do the same for mexico?

Quote:
You would think that in California they wouldn't have protests promoting Aztlan and La Raza, a Mexican supremacy group similar to the Black Panthers, the KKK, and the other Mexican Chicano movement.
you would think that in america, we wouldnt have groups like the black panthers or the kkk. doesnt mean the entire race advocates supremacy.

Quote:
i hope its a sociology class. you could really learn something.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times
Quote:

Ghost, your post would be legitimate if Mexican-Americans weren't doing everything in that article. But they are. They are refusing to assimilate into our culture, they are creating their own Quebec in California and Southern US. France, Malaysia, etc, all having their own extreme immigration problems. Right now in France, they voted for a conservative leader for the first time in years, and the main reason was to counter illegal Muslim immigration. All over Europe, countries are electing conservative leaders. It started in Germany, and right now it looks like the Netherlands are following the same foot.

Mexicans are encourging isolationism of their culture from ours. After living here for 20 plus years, you would think some illegals would have learned English by now. You would think they would have enough respect to fly the American flag, seeing as they want to be 'AMERICANS.' You would think that in California they wouldn't have protests promoting Aztlan and La Raza, a Mexican supremacy group similar to the Black Panthers, the KKK, and the other Mexican Chicano movement.

Balkan peninsula here we come!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:18 PM

185 posts, read 319,436 times
Just my opinion but if I were to move to another country I would learn the predominant language out of respect for that country and it's people and I would at least learn the basics BEFORE I got there. It's the decent thing to do.

It's not uncommon for illegals to live in the U.S. for 10-20 years and still not know any English, that is unconscionable! You would have to work at avoiding the language to accomplish that.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
Just my opinion but if I were to move to another country I would learn the predominant language out of respect for that country and it's people and I would at least learn the basics BEFORE I got there. It's the decent thing to do.

It's not uncommon for illegals to live in the U.S. for 10-20 years and still not know any English, that is unconscionable! You would have to work at avoiding the language to accomplish that.
You probably have money too, these people do not. For them it is about working for survival. Then hopefully their children or the next generation can assimilate. It is not that easy for these people.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 PM

185 posts, read 319,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
You probably have money too, these people do not. For them it is about working for survival. Then hopefully their children or the next generation can assimilate. It is not that easy for these people.
If you have a desire to learn a language it can be done with zero dollars, especially when you are in the "foreign" land. After so many years you would think they would pick up some English by proxy. Because of the invasion I'm learning Spanish without trying, mostly curse words.

They aren't learning English because of the disrespect and indifference for America and it's citizens.

This battle to save America wouldn't be so large if it weren't for the language problems which lead to mistrust, confusion and anger. If all the illegals spoke English i wouldn't feel as strong as I do about the issue. As it is they make it easy for me to find the strength everyday to continue.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
If you have a desire to learn a language it can be done with zero dollars, especially when you are in the "foreign" land. After so many years you would think they would pick up some English by proxy. Because of the invasion I'm learning Spanish without trying, mostly curse words.

They aren't learning English because of the disrespect and indifference for America and it's citizens.

This battle to save America wouldn't be so large if it weren't for the language problems which lead to mistrust, confusion and anger. If all the illegals spoke English i wouldn't feel as strong as I do about the issue. As it is they make it easy for me to find the strength everyday to continue.
Really? it can be done without books? without TV? DVD? Computers? Telephones?

I love how you use strong words like "the invasion" and "battle" to add a little vigor to your arguments.

Is learning another language really so bad for Americans? Why is it most of the world can be bilingual but not Americans?

Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM

logically, we should all be fluent in at least one native american language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or