U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Then why are you not trying to type out your message in one of those languages.. follow what you preach.
I have typed in español here before, and I have been told it is an english only forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM

1,510 posts, read 710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I have typed in español here before, and I have been told it is an english only forum.
haha.. that is way too funny... i also think its funny i advocate people speaking whatever language they choose, and being told im a hypocrite for speaking whatever language i choose. some people are just illogical beyond reason.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,024,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
A Town trying to use English only get labeled a classic racist:
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Good. As a conservative, this baffles me. English first is different from English only. English only is surely xenophobic and indefensible, in light of the necessity that we promote excellence. Excellence in many respects is reflected in education, and the more languages we can converse in, the more educated and informed we are. By promoting English only, you are denying a route to national excellence. Tolerate other languages. Demand that at least English be the common thread, and that everyone at least understands English. There should be no threat from English speakers speaking other languages, such as Chinese. The only threat is from xenophobic, intolerant paranoia.

The more languages I know, the better employee/boss I will be. I will be more competitive in the world. I want my neighbors, friends, etc, to maximize their competitive potential as well. America is about opening opportunities, not closing doors. By demanding that English be the common thread, in fact we are further encouraging excellence and participation by immigrants, many of whom will become bi- and tri-lingual as a result of their added English fluency. They will get a leg up not only in America, but they will help America get a leg up around the world. It's ridiculous not to ask of immigrants and natives that they understand English.

At the same time, English only? Absolutely insulting and xenophobic.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM

185 posts, read 319,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Really? it can be done without books? without TV? DVD? Computers? Telephones?

I love how you use strong words like "the invasion" and "battle" to add a little vigor to your arguments.

Is learning another language really so bad for Americans? Why is it most of the world can be bilingual but not Americans?

Many spend $2,500-5,000 to cross the border and they can't afford a book? Even something as simple as a Spanish to English dictionary would be appreciated. I would help anyone that approached me with a question about a word, phrase, whatever. Come to think of it I've never been approached by anyone with a question about English and I live in las Vegas. If I'm not mistaken people were learning languages long before the internet and TV. Telephone?

Invasion is an appropriate word. Our hospitals, schools, way of life and sovereignty are all being destroyed by the illegal food stamp army (<--how's that one?) Estimates are from 50,000 and up slaughtered by illegal aliens since 9/11, 12-25 everyday! In a different time this may very well incite a military response.

Learning another language is great if it's your choice and not replacing the language of the land. Once again, it's completely disrepectful. Most of the world speaks English and most countries are much closer to each other. You can drive for days in one direction in America. In Europe you can drive 100 miles and go through three countries. People outside of America are naturally exposed to many different languages.

Last edited by Cribster; 10-04-2007 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Good. As a conservative, this baffles me. English first is different from English only. English only is surely xenophobic and indefensible, in light of the necessity that we promote excellence. Excellence in many respects is reflected in education, and the more languages we can converse in, the more educated and informed we are. By promoting English only, you are denying a route to national excellence. Tolerate other languages. Demand that at least English be the common thread, and that everyone at least understands English. There should be no threat from English speakers speaking other languages, such as Chinese. The only threat is from xenophobic, intolerant paranoia.

The more languages I know, the better employee/boss I will be. I will be more competitive in the world. I want my neighbors, friends, etc, to maximize their competitive potential as well. America is about opening opportunities, not closing doors. By demanding that English be the common thread, in fact we are further encouraging excellence and participation by immigrants, many of whom will become bi- and tri-lingual as a result of their added English fluency. They will get a leg up not only in America, but they will help America get a leg up around the world. It's ridiculous not to ask of immigrants and natives that they understand English.

At the same time, English only? Absolutely insulting and xenophobic.
i agree with your english only classification. but as far as english even being a primary language, why? the language on these lands has changed many times, why shouldnt we let a free society determine the language it wants to speak? are we scared of actually having to learn/know/speak more than 1 language?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
Many spend $2,500-5,000 to cross the border and they can't afford a book?
some cross as cheaply as possible, just to work and go home. they dont have the money or the time to learn english, seeing as how they are not permanent residents and probably dont do much shopping up here at all.

Quote:
Even something as simple as a Spanish to English dictionary would be appreciated. I would help anyone that approached me with a question about a word, phrase, whatever. Come to think of it I've never been approached by anyone with a question about English and I live in las Vegas. If I'm not mistaken people were learning languages long before the internet and TV. Telephone?
why would someone that doesnt speak english need to talk to you? i sure dont carry one around in case i need to ask a foreign language speaker something. granted, english is the prominent language, but still, language acquisition has historically been by the second generation of immigrant, ones that actually live here. and thats what happens. when people have a need to learn the language, they do. and kids are much more open-minded, they can take in languages very easily at a younger age.

Quote:
Invasion is an appropriate word. Our hospitals, schools, way of life and sovereignty are all being destroyed by the illegal food stamp army (<--how's that one?) Estimates are from 50,000 and up slaughtered by illegal aliens since 9/11, 12-25 everyday! In a different time this may very well incite a military response.
every society has its bad part. some people just arent honest people. but we are hardly a society of dishonest people. we just like to think everyone is. but this wave of immigrant is undoubtedly bringing people that, if streamlined through a free legal immigration process, would not have a need for "fake" s.s. cards as they could pass freely, and without risk of criminal punishment, injury or death, so they would do it legally, every day. no camps, no stolen benefits, at least a dramatic reduction. but instead, we make it so hard for them to just come over here, stay a while, and work, that they practically have to resort to a criminal course of action just to survive. the laws are very questionable if they continue to not fix the problem, but rather make criminals out of people who will find ways into this country regardless of what we do. its another neverending war we're fighting. you win the war on drugs by legalizing them. you win the war on terror by diplomacy and peace, and not terrorizing other nations YOURSELF. and you win the war on immigration by taking advantage of it how you can, and not fighting it. and working through your political processes to assure your government is not devaluing your dollar and taxing you dry and tying you into a system of credit, so the worry of having a place to rest your head and a car to drive wouldnt pester us all daily. you think we wouldnt have the ability to welcome immigration if we had and earned 25 TIMES the money we earn now? if houses cost 200k again? because the dollar, when measured, has a value of about 4 CENTS today, because of a non-material money supply, the interest paid on it by the government (to the federal reserve private bank), and subsequent inflation. congratulations, your government has bled you dry, and now you direct your hate at the cheap labor you're forced to compete for. misdirected hostility?

Quote:
Learning another language is great if it's your choice and not replacing the language of the land. Once again, it's completely disrepectful. Most of the world speaks English and most countries are much closer to each other. You can drive for days in one direction in America. In Europe you can drive 100 miles and go through three countries. People outside of America are naturally exposed to many different languages.

well if we treated states like countries (republics are a country of states. that is why there is individual state authority outside the constitution), we could see a wide variety of language learned and spoken. and we can learn them all, and have the chance to have the whole world of culture and ideas be in our backyards, while still being able to have our own private property. notice how the constitution PROMOTES activity, its doesnt criminalize it. these days, all we tell you is what you CANT do. i say do, and immerse yourself in the reality of the world around you. its our world.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM

185 posts, read 319,555 times
We can go back and forth forever on this topic and neither of us are going to change our minds. Most of my time is spend contacting senators and spreading awareness so my last point on this topic is; They will have a far greater chance of being successful by knowing the English language.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
We can go back and forth forever on this topic and neither of us are going to change our minds. Most of my time is spend contacting senators and spreading awareness so my last point on this topic is; They will have a far greater chance of being successful by knowing the English language.
of course they will have a greater chance of success by knowing english. i have a greater chance of success knowing spanish. language will travel with the culture. some will live, some will die, some will exist together. fact of the matter is, the more languages we all know, the better off we will all be. because there will be a more universal ability to understand each other and help each other, and spread information so that we can thrive together as people. because we are not our governments, we are people. we need to love one another.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
great. so if you admire what she has done, learn spanish.
*I* already did, but I refuse to speak it with non-English speaking immigrants unless I absolutely have to. I'm a 99% cater-free zone.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM

great. that's your freedom. appreciate your ability to exercise it, and let others do the same. and remember, speaking spanish is a freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or