U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
And do you believe that you're more educated than I am due to your stance on this issue?
not necessarily. but it seems to me that trying to enforce an unenforcable law isn't very smart. smart would entail figuring out a real world solution, such as the diplomatic restructuring of mexico's economy and trade agreements. you will only stop the immigration flow if you stop giving them a reason to come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 02:30 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
not necessarily. but it seems to me that trying to enforce an unenforcable law isn't very smart. smart would entail figuring out a real world solution, such as the diplomatic restructuring of mexico's economy and trade agreements. you will only stop the immigration flow if you stop giving them a reason to come here.
What unenforceable law would you be referring to? What do you actually believe I'm advocating here? Take your fingers out of your ears, stop saying 'lalalalalalalalalala I'm right you're wrong I'm smart you're stupid' and actually LISTEN to what other people are telling you.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
What unenforceable law would you be referring to? What do you actually believe I'm advocating here? Take your fingers out of your ears, stop saying 'lalalalalalalalalala I'm right you're wrong I'm smart you're stupid' and actually LISTEN to what other people are telling you.

my apologies. too many threads at one time. but i do still agree that a language policy is unenforcable. you cant force anybody to learn a language they do not choose to. if you want to mandate that all private property, residence or business, be english-only, then you can certainly try. but it almost certainly violates first amendment rights, which was created to prohibit this sort of mentality.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
my apologies. too many threads at one time. but i do still agree that a language policy is unenforcable. you cant force anybody to learn a language they do not choose to. if you want to mandate that all private property, residence or business, be english-only, then you can certainly try. but it almost certainly violates first amendment rights, which was created to prohibit this sort of mentality.
That's the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. You can't force them to learn the language but you can make it so they pretty much have to. I don't see anything wrong with that and it's certainly not a first amendment issue...you are REALLY reaching here.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That's the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. You can't force them to learn the language but you can make it so they pretty much have to. I don't see anything wrong with that and it's certainly not a first amendment issue...you are REALLY reaching here.
freedom of speech and free market capitalism both imply that language used and displayed is one's personal choice. why haven't there been prosecutions against vietnamese stores or spanish billboards? pretty simple. and as far as language goes, you can choose if you want to learn it. if you "pretty much have to", attribute it to cultural evolution. we seem to have no qualms making it so immigrants "pretty much have to" learn english. perspective! perspective! perspective!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Interesting relative to this story:

Quote:
Of the 6,000-odd languages in the world, one is said to disappear every fortnight. Should the English-speaking world care?
BBC NEWS | Magazine | In defence of 'lost' languages

Endangered Languages:
yourDictionary.com • Endangered Language Initiative• What is an Endangered Language?

World's Top Ten Languages
First-language speaker estimates given in millions
1. Chinese (Mandarin) 1,075,000,000
2. English 514,000,000
3. Hindustani 496,000,000
4. Spanish 425,000,000
5. Russian 275,000,000
6. Arabic 256,000,000
7. Bengali 215,000,000
8. Portuguese 194,000,000
9. Malay-Indonesian 176,000,000
10. French 129,000,00

Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times
Quote:
i dont preach that immigrants need to learn english, so i am practicing what i preach.
No you don't.. did you not say the following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST..
logically, we should all be fluent in at least one native american language.
So you should be fluent in one of the Native American languages and typing in it here.. after all you practice what you preach. The reply you have for this best be in a Native American language or your a hypocrite.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
No you don't.. did you not say the following?

So you should be fluent in one of the Native American languages and typing in it here.. after all you practice what you preach. The reply you have for this best be in a Native American language or your a hypocrite.
This is an English only forum...

Quote:
English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed.
Terms of Service - City-Data Forum

Last edited by Mach50; 10-04-2007 at 11:43 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 02:39 PM

170 posts, read 682,127 times
most of the immigrants dont even speak proper spainish, its some waterd down hispanic crap

Old 10-13-2007, 02:48 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
When I lived in France [3 yrs mid 60's USAF] I had a choice....I could learn to speak French, or I could do all my shopping, sightseeing etc on the base. The people on the French economy [by and large] did NOT speak English....ALTHO my attempt at speaking French somehow made them open up in English a little.....guess they felt sorry for me...or couldnt stand to listen anymore.....

The point is....America is an English language contry and people wishing to live here should learn to speak the language....and don't be surprised or angered if I don't speak yours.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or