Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM

153 posts, read 131,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nowrasteh
There is a persistent myth that President Obama is systematically tearing down immigration enforcement. The Federation for American Immigration Reform's (FAIR) new report, "President Obama's Record of Dismantling Immigration Enforcement," is just the latest in a long list of publications propagating that myth.

According to FAIR, a group intent on decreasing all immigration because it's bad for the environment, President Obama has systematically undermined the immigration laws of the U.S. In reality, President Obama has actually increased immigration enforcement and restricted legal immigration.

President Obama's pick of personnel is telling. The head of Obama's Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is Janet Napolitano, the former Democratic governor of Arizona. DHS is responsible for enforcing the immigration laws through subordinate agencies. As governor, Napolitano signed the Legal Arizona Workers Act (LAWA) to directly punish employers, indirectly the rest of the state's economy, for hiring unauthorized immigrants. LAWA made E-Verify mandatory for all employers in Arizona and created something she called the "business death penalty" for firms that repeatedly hire unauthorized immigrants.

The myth of the pro-immigrant Obama is perplexing.
Obama's DHS has so far deported more people than during the first six and a half years of George W. Bush's administration. Just shy of 1.5 million unauthorized immigrants have been forcefully deported from the United States under Napolitano's leadership. These annual deportation figures are higher that at any other time in U.S. history, pushing the backlog for deportation cases to a record 314,147 this June. The government is apprehending unauthorized immigration so quickly that it cannot effectively process them all.
Full article HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
it means nothing when you don't have your borders closed, and everybody knows it.

it means nothing when states are being challenged by the federal government just for trying to exercise their rights to protect their citizens.

i saw a good article by bruce krasting about the cost of freaking illegal immigration to american citizens and here it is. i hope everyone can take a few minutes to look at the tax rates and how it breaks down:

http://brucekrasting.com/

he talked about how screwed up the system has become and why americans need to help their lowest income citizens--- and he also talked about this:

individuals who were not authorized to work in the United States received $4.2 billion by claiming the refundable portion of the child tax credit—the additional child tax credit (ACTC). “How is this possible?” How could illegal workers end up receiving federal tax credits? The IRS is encouraging the process.

and this:
Combining the ITIN data with the 75% estimate by SSA leads to an estimate of 12m taxpayers contributing (and getting refunds) who shouldn’t be in the system at all. (Note: the Census Bureau put the number of unauthorized aliens at 11.2m in 2010.)

and there's more.

when did it become too hard for america to have its laws enforced?

when did it become too difficult to protect american citizens?

when did the rights and wishes of citizens stop counting in this country?

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-30-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it means nothing when you don't have your borders closed, and everybody knows it.

it means nothing when states are being challenged by the federal government just for trying to exercise their rights to protect their citizens.

i saw a good article by bruce krasting about the cost of freaking illegal immigration to american citizens and here it is. i hope everyone can take a few minutes to look at the tax rates and how it breaks down:

Bruce Krasting - My Take on Financial Events

he talked about how screwed up the system has become and why americans need to help their lowest income citizens--- and he also talked about this:

individuals who were not authorized to work in the United States received $4.2 billion by claiming the refundable portion of the child tax credit—the additional child tax credit (ACTC). “How is this possible?” How could illegal workers end up receiving federal tax credits? The IRS is encouraging the process.

and this:
Combining the ITIN data with the 75% estimate by SSA leads to an estimate of 12m taxpayers contributing (and getting refunds) who shouldn’t be in the system at all. (Note: the Census Bureau put the number of unauthorized aliens at 11.2m in 2010.)

and there's more.

when did it become too hard for america to have its laws enforced?

when did it become too difficult to protect american citizens?

when did the rights and wishes of citizens stop counting in this country?
You said it all in a nutshell. WTF did it become so difficult to have American's laws enforced. If we at all mattered to the Prez, he would see to it that our borders wer protected. And stop the flow of illegals coming into this Country.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
...If we at all mattered to the Prez, he would see to it that our borders wer protected. And stop the flow of illegals coming into this Country.
Isn't that somewhat of an inherited problem, with the border fencing being completed and illegal aliens decreasing during the time he has been in office?...

Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Isn't that somewhat of an inherited problem, with the border fencing being completed and illegal aliens decreasing during the time he has been in office?...
The promised border fence was never completed. What was promised was a double layered one and that didn't happen. Congress decided not to fund it. I would really be interested in seeing a non-biased source proving that illegal entry is down very much. I have serious doubts that is the case but if that is so it isn't due to anything that Obama has done but mostly the bad economy. So I guess when you look at it from that perspective, yes I guess Obama might be responsible for less illegal immigration because he contributed to the bad economy and no job creation.

The biggest problem is that Obama is refusing to allow ICE to deport any and all illegal immigrants as they are found. I don't like his selective deportation policy and allowing some illegal immigrants to remain here to pursue jobs and compete with the American worker. Bush had no such policy.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The promised border fence was never completed. What was promised was a double layered one and that didn't happen. Congress decided not to fund it. I would really be interested in seeing a non-biased source proving that illegal entry is down very much. I have serious doubts that is the case but if that is so it isn't due to anything that Obama has done but mostly the bad economy. So I guess when you look at it from that perspective, yes I guess Obama might be responsible for less illegal immigration because he contributed to the bad economy and no job creation.

The biggest problem is that Obama is refusing to allow ICE to deport any and all illegal immigrants as they are found. I don't like his selective deportation policy and allowing some illegal immigrants to remain here to pursue jobs and compete with the American worker. Bush had no such policy.
of course it isn't down.

read the article and see how much money americans are forced to give away each year to illegal immigrants. they aren't going anywhere, (i can vouch for that in indian river county) because they get "aid" here that they wouldn't get if they went home.

all on the backs of americans, and the future generations of americans.

i am embarrassed that some americans won't stand up for the future of their children. (and i don't even have children!)

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-30-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Thats because Bush had no policy, period. And what part of this did you miss...

Obama's DHS has so far deported more people than during the first six and a half years of George W. Bush's administration. Just shy of 1.5 million unauthorized immigrants have been forcefully deported from the United States under Napolitano's leadership. These annual deportation figures are higher that at any other time in U.S. history, pushing the backlog for deportation cases to a record 314,147 this June. The government is apprehending unauthorized immigration so quickly that it cannot effectively process them all.

And even if you dont think thats enuff, fine... but give credit where due, especially since its still way the heck more than anyone else, Republican or Dem, has ever done.... which until now has mostly just been to talk a good game and constantly complain (kinda like you)!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

funny, because is another statistic which i find interesting:

Back in 1993, agents arrested 285,781 people trying to enter America illegally. In those days, the holding cells in the processing center, explains Scott Hayes, a Border Patrol agent, were full to bursting. In 2010, however, agents picked up only 12,251 illegal immigrants in the area—A 96% DECLINE.

Much the same is true of the border as a whole: last year's tally, of 447,731 arrests, is barely a quarter that of the peak year, 2000, when 1,643,679 people were intercepted. This year's figure will be under 350,000; a fifth of the peak.

they may be deporting some people, but they sure aren't arresting many.

again, the article fails to mention that they can march right back after deportation with our open border policy so we are just wasting money. you would think obama would at least pretend to seal the border with his constant vigilant war on terror everywhere. (except at home i guess-- where we supply mexican gangs with guns, again how crazy is that??????)

here's a paragraph supporting that:

The U.S. Border Patrol is often catching immigrants who were previously deported. For many it is not their first time, but rather their third, fourth, or even fifth deportation. One of these individuals is Jose Ricardo Garcia who has been deported four times and served an equal amount of prison terms in the United States. His prior convictions include illegal entry, vehicle theft, assault, and drug possession

let's face it-the people may want the borders closed but our leaders don't. (and that included both bush and obama)

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-30-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Thats because Bush had no policy, period. And what part of this did you miss...

And even if you dont think thats enuff, fine... but give credit where due, especially since its still way the heck more than anyone else has ever done.... which has mostly just been to talk a good game and constantly complain (kinda like you)!
No, that isn't accurate. Bush followed our laws on deportations so his policy worked within our laws. He didn't selectively deport illegal immigrants. He did seek amnesty and for that he earned a black mark but he couldn't get it through congress anyway.

Obama may be deporting more felon illegal immigrants but has ordered Homeland Security not to deport the others. I think just as long as he continues to do that we have every right to complain while still acknowledging the other side of the coin.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
funny, because is another statistic which i find interesting:

Back in 1993, agents arrested 285,781 people trying to enter America illegally. In those days, the holding cells in the processing center, explains Scott Hayes, a Border Patrol agent, were full to bursting. In 2010, however, agents picked up only 12,251 illegal immigrants in the area—A 96% DECLINE.

Much the same is true of the border as a whole: last year's tally, of 447,731 arrests, is barely a quarter that of the peak year, 2000, when 1,643,679 people were intercepted. This year's figure will be under 350,000; a fifth of the peak.

they may be deporting some people, but they sure aren't arresting many.

again, the article fails to mention that they can march right back after deportation with our open border policy so we are just wasting money. you would think obama would at least pretend to seal the border with his constant vigilant war on terror everywhere. (except at home i guess-- where we supply mexican gangs with guns, again how crazy is that??????)

here's a paragraph supporting that:

The U.S. Border Patrol is often catching immigrants who were previously deported. For many it is not their first time, but rather their third, fourth, or even fifth deportation. One of these individuals is Jose Ricardo Garcia who has been deported four times and served an equal amount of prison terms in the United States. His prior convictions include illegal entry, vehicle theft, assault, and drug possession

let's face it-the people may want the borders closed but our leaders don't. (and that included both bush and obama)
From what I have heard Obama himself said that these high deportation numbers weren't entirely accurate as those being encountered at the border and turned away were also counted as deportations. Those whho self-deported were also counted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration