U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM
 
31,899 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8507

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If Rubio is the VP, I don't see much reason to vote in this election.
If Romney picks him for VP then it will mean to me that he was lying about what he will do about illegal immigration. How can he pick someone as a running mate that is in conflict with his own ideals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
this may come as a shock to you, but almost everybody puts their interest above america as a whole. The reality is, neither side has policies that is going to benefit everybody in a positive way. People should vote whats in the best interest for them.
Thats not true. Employment is an American issue. Education is an American issue. Illegal immigration seems to be only a hispanic issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 08:18 AM
 
31,899 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
this may come as a shock to you, but almost everybody puts their interest above america as a whole. The reality is, neither side has policies that is going to benefit everybody in a positive way. People should vote whats in the best interest for them.
We always have choices on the issues when we vote and of course we will vote on which choices are aligned with our own particular interests. However, on the issue of illegal immigration that is not the same thing as it isn't being put to a vote. That is a federal law that congress decides on. What we have here are certain Americans defending lawlessness and wanting it rewarded just because of ethnic ties, greed or whatever other excuses they want to make that isn't in the national interest.

I disagree that most Americans put their own interests above what is good for this country. Most Americans want what is good for our country because it does benefit them also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,499,174 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We always have choices on the issues when we vote and of course we will vote on which choices are aligned with our own particular interests. However, on the issue of illegal immigration that is not the same thing as it isn't being put to a vote. That is a federal law that congress decides on. What we have here are certain Americans defending lawlessness and wanting it rewarded just because of ethnic ties, greed or whatever other excuses they want to make that isn't in the national interest.

I disagree that most Americans put their own interests above what is good for this country. Most Americans want what is good for our country because it does benefit them also.
if that were the case, this country wouldnt be so partisan. unfortunately, immigration is included this equation. I support whatever the president is doing because I believe he represents my best interest, and he needs the hispanic, latino, whatever other minority vote he needs to win. If this involves illegal immigration, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
if that were the case, this country wouldnt be so partisan. unfortunately, immigration is included this equation. I support whatever the president is doing because I believe he represents my best interest, and he needs the hispanic, latino, whatever other minority vote he needs to win. If this involves illegal immigration, so be it.
You support a cause thats wrong?
Do you support congress enactment of laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM
 
31,899 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
if that were the case, this country wouldnt be so partisan. unfortunately, immigration is included this equation. I support whatever the president is doing because I believe he represents my best interest, and he needs the hispanic, latino, whatever other minority vote he needs to win. If this involves illegal immigration, so be it.
Congress makes immigration policy not the president. You don't believe that every president has always acted in the national interest, do you? I don't blindly support what any president says or does. I let common sense prevail. Did you blindly support Bush and/or some of these useless wars just because he was the president? I didn't.

I am sorry but any candidate or president that makes promises to certain groups that is in direct violaton of our laws wouldn't be anyone I would support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,499,174 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Congress makes immigration policy not the president. You don't believe that every president has always acted in the national interest, do you? I don't blindly support what any president says or does. I let common sense prevail. Did you blindly support Bush and/or some of these useless wars just because he was the president? I didn't.

I am sorry but any candidate or president that makes promises to certain groups that is in direct violaton of our laws wouldn't be anyone I would support.
i'm a democrat, so I didn't support bush. what I'll say is, I'm not going to let illegal immigration policies be the reason I won't vote obama, because at the end of the day, i've benefited the most under obama than I did under bush. obama may be trying to help illegals, but that won't stop me from voting for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
 
31,899 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
i'm a democrat, so I didn't support bush. what I'll say is, I'm not going to let illegal immigration policies be the reason I won't vote obama, because at the end of the day, i've benefited the most under obama than I did under bush. obama may be trying to help illegals, but that won't stop me from voting for him.
If you don't mind sharing how has Obama/the Democrats benefited you in a way that makes you turn a blind eye to the very serious matter of illegal immigration? You do know that it has negatively impacted all Americans including you, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,499,174 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If you don't mind sharing how has Obama/the Democrats benefited you in a way that makes you turn a blind eye to the very serious matter of illegal immigration? You do know that it has negatively impacted all Americans including you, don't you?
I was laid off under bush, i now have job where I make $10,000 dollars more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I was laid off under bush, i now have job where I make $10,000 dollars more.
Count yourself among one of the few fortunate. As of today, it is estimated that over 23 million U.S. citizens are unemployed/underemployed. And, only one-third of the employed earn a decent wage. Apparently as long as YOU have benefited, all is well. Clearly, you fail to realize we can't continue down this path without it ultimately having a negative impact on you as well. Perhaps then, you won't have such a flippant attitude. Please explain how granting work permits to 1 million illegal aliens will benefit our unemployed citizens, and help us get back on the road to economic recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top