U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 PM

3,065 posts, read 3,699,237 times

Advertisements

High unemployment does not mean that there are plenty of unemployed people qualified for a job.

Case in point: Here in Seattle, we're experiencing a MASSIVE techie shortage. Amazon has hired everyone with a pulse, leaving every other company scrambling to hire workers. Network and Systems engineers, in particular, are in incredibly short supply. I know of companies offering 10,000 bounties to anybody who can bring them a qualified worker. One company in particular presently has over 500 positions open, over 200 of which have been open for over 4 months because they can't find anybody - and it's not like the company is cheaping out on wages or benefits or the like. There just isn't anybody to take the job. This is why the H1(b) thing is becoming ever more prevalent. These are 6 figure positions that nobody is claiming. I field between 12 and 20 calls PER WEEK from recruiters and companies trying to bring me on.

This is not to say I approve of giving illegal immigrants ANYTHING but a ticket back to where they came from (because I don't), but quit associating high unemployment and globalization to keeping the unemployed down. The unemployed are keeping themselves down by not edeveloping marketable skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,104,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i've learned one universal truth, and that is their is no such thing as an illegal alien in america nowdays

big corp keeping the back door open for practically free labor in the good ol usachina
Truth is not ignoring the problem.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
High unemployment does not mean that there are plenty of unemployed people qualified for a job.

Case in point: Here in Seattle, we're experiencing a MASSIVE techie shortage. Amazon has hired everyone with a pulse, leaving every other company scrambling to hire workers. Network and Systems engineers, in particular, are in incredibly short supply. I know of companies offering 10,000 bounties to anybody who can bring them a qualified worker. One company in particular presently has over 500 positions open, over 200 of which have been open for over 4 months because they can't find anybody - and it's not like the company is cheaping out on wages or benefits or the like. There just isn't anybody to take the job. This is why the H1(b) thing is becoming ever more prevalent. These are 6 figure positions that nobody is claiming. I field between 12 and 20 calls PER WEEK from recruiters and companies trying to bring me on.

This is not to say I approve of giving illegal immigrants ANYTHING but a ticket back to where they came from (because I don't), but quit associating high unemployment and globalization to keeping the unemployed down. The unemployed are keeping themselves down by not edeveloping marketable skills.
See below: vs your opinion

Quote:
the economy is dying and its' not just creating enough jobs for the people.

Snyder has listed out some reasons why the job market is entirely hopeless. Some of those are the following:

1. Fewer new openings: Post-crisis, the number of new job openings in the country crashed to below 3 million jobs whereas there used to be 4.5 million new openings before it.

2. Lack of real growth: The economy is gripped by chronic lack of real growth. A measly 36,000 jobs were added in January whereas economists have concluded that at least 150,000 new jobs are needed to keep up with the rise in population.

3. Government sector layoffs: Government sector jobs, which are considered the safest, are becoming a dangerous option as state and local governments are continually cutting jobs.

4. Chinese job grab: China is taking away U.S. jobs in hordes. Unbelievable cost advantages in China, thanks to its ultra low labor costs, are moving thousands of jobs into China and away from the U.S. each year. Plus, the bulging trade deficit is slowly eating up the U.S. economy as hundred s of billions of dollars are going to the rest of the world.

5. High taxes. Snyder says businesses pay more taxes in the United States than just about anywhere else in the world. This means many businesses are literally pushed out of the country, and with that, jobs too vanish.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,443,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Americans don't deserve work?
What job skills do they have and what job skills are unemployed Americans lacking? It was quite relevant in Alabama when they blocked alien employment, a potato farmer had little to no legal applicants, and those who did show up under performed on the job. They also didn't bother hanging around for a week. Clearly they weren't up to the rigors of the job.

I'm more concerned that they'd be needful of welfare if they're underpaid. There's something wrong with American commerce when we have so many working poor at or below the poverty line.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
What job skills do they have and what job skills are unemployed Americans lacking? It was quite relevant in Alabama when they blocked alien employment, a potato farmer had little to no legal applicants, and those who did show up under performed on the job. They also didn't bother hanging around for a week. Clearly they weren't up to the rigors of the job.

I'm more concerned that they'd be needful of welfare if they're underpaid. There's something wrong with American commerce when we have so many working poor at or below the poverty line.
Seepost #13

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not just a few work permits -- a MILLION work permits to reward those who broke this nation's laws. That when they're lucky if job creation is 70,000 a month. That's going to take over a year of illegals grabbing up all the jobs before any would be available to Americans.
I'm against illegal immigration. I'm for immigration reform. And I strongly disagree with how conservatives go about things, and how the real guilty parties are protected.

I think the businessmen and politicians who rang dinner bells in South America to come n git it, and held their foot on Immigration enforcement for 50 yrs, deserve far more punishment than the illegals themselves. So whatever ugly you want to point at a sweat shop worker, I'm pointing that same ugly right back at your entitled butt. My great great great grandmother worked in a sweat shop in Manhattan. My great great great grandfather did all those jobs on the street (shining shoes, selling newspapers, street sweeping etc) you couldn't be bothered doing today.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,651,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Americans don't want to. There are plenty of jobs out there. Sure some people will be underemployed but there are jobs to be done. Americans don't want to do them or come off of unemployment for them so documented, legal immigrants will do them.

First you complain about illegals taking American jobs, now you complain about them obtaining legal work permits. If all you do is talk on an anonymous forum then you really aren't doing anything to solve the "problem" are you?

That's BS. I am looking for a second job as a cleaner and can't find anything because apparently I am overqualified.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,824,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, they didn't break the law but their parents did so why should their kids be rewarded for it? Many of these so-called kids aren't kids at all but adults. They have roots in their own countries. They were born there. Many if not most of them were taught their homeland's native language by their parents. Their parents certainly had no roots in this country but they apparently adapted to it when they moved here, didn't they?

It is Americans that are getting crapped on. That is one million jobs that could be held by Americans instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What utter nonsense! No, there are not plenty of jobs out there. Americans couldn't get hired for those jobs if they wanted to because the greedy employers prefer the cheap, illegal labor. Many times unemployment pays more than those jobs. So why should they take those jobs for less even if they could get them especially if they have a family to feed?

They should not be here working here illegally nor legally. They should be deported. How do you know what those of us who are opposed to illegal immigation do outside of this forum to fight illegal immigration. ASSume much?
The absolute truth!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Seepost #13
Indeed, let me address those points.

1. Fewer job openings-- the quality and nature of the jobs have been dumbing down for a considerable amount of time and it should be more obvious now when those who are on unemployment are not without job skills and education. It would be irrational to insist those low quality jobs raise their bars-- they don't need rocket scientists and that's the fact. It would be more pragmatic to focus on start up companies and small business expansion that require higher job skills. 60% of these individuals are finding it hard to acquire capital from the 1% hoarding it. What's the solution to that?

2. Lack of real job growth-- mirrors the lack of consumer spending, which is an echo of lack of discretionary income due to preponderance of low quality jobs. How should American policy (and we individuals on main street) promote more high quality jobs?

3. Gov sector layoffs-- what services were they rendering that justified their jobs in the first place? Did those services magically become unnecessary because someone preferred protecting their pet military contractor? When the lions share of taxation is dedicated to wargames and ALL it's accessories, that merits far more scrutiny than how many DMV agents are serving DMV lines. Republican priorities neglect taking care of home base and go spendthrift on ostentatious BS abroad. Trillions come up missing again, and again, and again. We have national budgets assaulting schools and stealing milk money from kids to prove it.

4. Chinese stole our jobs-- China is taking care of #1 (her people, her economy). So too are American businesses taking care of #1. American business are demanding US goverment take care of #1 (them) at the expense of their real job, taking care of #1 (US, and the USA). China has had it's economy kick started by cashing out the real value of America, plus cashing out the value of a large customer base. American businesses have been killing American customers all along and they need to wake up and find humility or they will be the ones directly responsible for killing this country. Not China, or chinese workers abroad.
I find it more than a little curious, not just the disparity of yen vs dollar, the disparity of environmental standards vs the absence of them, but also the disparity of having too liberal deregulation standards (USA) printing license to prey vs regulatory standards that FORBID corporations from menacing the state. We could stand to level that playing field out. Haughty commercial forces playing one side off another are needful of the fear of God and Country from both sides. Because if governance (all sovereigns across the globe) doesn't take that seriously, expect Bastille day wherever that injustice is permitted to stand unchallenged. You need only bear honest witness the middle east and European riots. Libertarians being handed the bill for their folly should solve it. Sometimes when you 'win', you're actually losing, and they can't see that when they've got a vested interest in tearing others down to 'win'.

5. High taxes-- By whose standard? Are we to aspire for a race to the bottom Banana republic standard? What those taxes pay for should be an over arching question for every citizen, and particularly, a narrowing of the checkbook for congress and senate. I'm fiscal conservative and am very annoyed at these lobbyist groups claiming themselves to be anti tax advocates, defending middle class. They're doing the opposite. They're mouth pieces for the 1% servicing policies for too big to fail at the expense of all others. Even Ron Paul extreme- all he's doing is negating the job requirements of his office.
Taxes by and large provide for the infrastructure of business to begin with. Those whining about taxes the most have been the largest beneficiaries of said taxes. They're the equivalent of dead beat dads. Put an end to corporate personhood, this Harvey the Rabbit existence they're living out, and the Emperor with no Clothes will be seen for exactly what he is.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That's BS. I am looking for a second job as a cleaner and can't find anything because apparently I am overqualified.
::Ahem:: A clear case of being honest to a fault. It's not against the law to omit job experience from your resume, ie, the sin of omission. Only to lie about jobs you never had. I've had to resort to it long ago. HR departments have become too ridiculous and myopic, and you need to treat them as they treat all others by telling them what they want to hear. Are they that stupid? YES, they are! And that's just what their employer wants to justify their low salary too!

Furthermore, you're far better off taking the vacuum cleaner and bucket of spray bottles in your own vehicle and drumming up house keeping services as an independent contractor than working for these companies. The only thing they're doing is lining up customers for you & creating a job for an accountant at a steep middle man price. This is an opportunity for you to start your own small business. Do consider taking up that challenge, and feel free to DM me for suggestions about how to get started. I'm rooting for you.

Semper Paratus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or