Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 PM

153 posts, read 130,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Vendors and food trucks are required to have a license. NYC is loaded with vendors/food trucks and they are required to display their license for the public to see. Vendors/food trucks are also required to meet certain standards for food and health. Dept. of Health inspectors are all over checking on them. If someone is caught operating without a license their equipment is confiscated and they get a hefty fine. If licensed and the equipment/food doesn't meet safety (health) standards, again a hefty fine. Who knows what she is putting in the food and the conditions under which they were prepared. If she was operating in NYC without a license she would have been arrested.
Oh I know of all the red tape. What incentive though does she have to make her tamales harmful? If she makes bad tamales people won't buy for her. I doubt the neighborhood she lives in get many people from outside, so she'd quickly lose all her customers if she did a bad service.

Quote:
If you look close enough you will see that we are showing our teeth, very much so, where illegals are concerned.
I don't see any teeth. I do see whip marks though.

Quote:
Patriots don't praise individuals, especially illegals, patriots praise their country. No right to celebrate the 4th of July? LOL I guess rather than setting off fireworks we should just hang a pinata in the yard and have a tamale party.
Patriots don't praise individuals?

Curious, you are praising an individual here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And you attribute that to Obama? Give yourself the credit - you found that job yourself - or did someone else do it for you? Did you get help from someone along the way? I'm sure the answer is NO, unless Obama was involved and actually made it happen. YOU found that job, YOU qualified for that job. It doesn't matter who was sitting in the WH because it would have played out the same way.
It is humorous of course that when a citizen does something, they did do something. In fact you praise them, as you can see above. When an illegal did it though, obviously they didn't do that. Obviously Obama descended from the heavens and helped that woman make tamales.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,731,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
This post is not accurate. Only three percent of all illegals work in agriculture.
House keepers, landscapers, cleaning pools... all the jobs of an underground economy unwilling to pay living wages, and especially taxes that reflect an integrated society from bottom to top. No matter how often you lie to yourself, the truth refuses to stay buried. You're really this oblivious, selfish, and entitled. Reality TV are your heroes? The moral of the tale is lost on you.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,118,849 times
Quote:
In doing so she's evading health codes. Are you happy to welcome people here who willfully and knowingly sell unsafe food? The founding fathers would have stuck in her in the stocks in the public square and let others throw rotten food at her. They were not fond of business cheaters and those who sold bad goods. They certainly wouldn't have welcomed her here.

Unless you think laws governing food preparation are unjust?

She's just behaving like all illegals always do: thumbing her nose at our society so she can make a fast buck. Really, Rock, you can't come up with a better argument than this glurge?
So many straw men, so little time.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,638,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Don't deport the 'tamale lady' - CNN.com

The above story is about an illegal immigrant...yes, illegal...with two anchor babies...This "poor" woman was selling tamales to "feed" her children. Not buying that for a nanosecond! I bet those kids were getting food stamps, and the Mama, was using that money to buy ingredients for her tamales, which she was selling, illegally...after all, she has already broken one law, why not break others...no permit, or license...and gee, did anyone look at her kids, Medicaid and EBT account, was the Mother reporting this income? I doubt it...instead, we get the "sob" story...about this poor Mama, being held, and children taken away in a squad car...The news in this country is SO slanted...how about actually writing a news story, that is factual, and objective? Imagine that. And looking at ALL of the issues, rather than the current one sided viewpoint, that is so common now?
I have to take exception to the idea that breaking one law means you will break others.

Everyone has broken laws at some point, speeding, parking illegally, whatever. That does not mean we will break any other laws at all. So just being here illegally, does not make someone more likely to be a repeat offender. My brother in law was here illegally (from Ireland) for nearly a year, while waiting for paperwork to go through. Lucky for him, people are much more forgiving towards white "illegals" but either way, he didn't break other laws.

Second exception, it is CLEARLY an opinion piece. Hell it ends with CNN OPINION.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,755,486 times
[quote=Frank_Knight;25474765]
Quote:
Oh I know of all the red tape. What incentive though does she have to make her tamales harmful? If she makes bad tamales people won't buy for her. I doubt the neighborhood she lives in get many people from outside, so she'd quickly lose all her customers if she did a bad service.
Who said anything about having an incentive to make harmful tamales? Oh, wait - you did. Obviously you ignore the fact that a license is required and don't know anything about health codes and sanitation that apply to vendors/restaurants/cafes/etc. I don't eat food from licensed street vendors, even it it was free. How do I know what is in the food or could have gotten into the food?

Quote:
Patriots don't praise individuals?

Curious, you are praising an individual here:
You seem to equate praise with patriotism. How does that work? I praise people/children who are from India, the Philipines, different Arab countries, does that make me less patriotic to my country? The poster attributed her new job to Obama. I pointed out that he did not get her the job, she got the job herself.

It seems to me that you are running out of arguments because you are now taking to putting your own meaning to what people say rather than understanding what is written.

[quote]It is humorous of course that when a citizen does something, they did do something. In fact you praise them, as you can see above. When an illegal did it though, obviously they didn't do that. Obviously Obama descended from the heavens and helped that woman make tamales.[/QUOTE]

Highlighted text: Once again - that's you talking. But I wouldn't doubt that she didn't use some of her government handouts to "create that business". Legal or illegal - bottom line is that she wasn't licensed!! that is a violation of law - or do you not get that?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
In doing so she's evading health codes. Are you happy to welcome people here who willfully and knowingly sell unsafe food? The founding fathers would have stuck in her in the stocks in the public square and let others throw rotten food at her. They were not fond of business cheaters and those who sold bad goods. They certainly wouldn't have welcomed her here.

Unless you think laws governing food preparation are unjust?

She's just behaving like all illegals always do: thumbing her nose at our society so she can make a fast buck. Really, Rock, you can't come up with a better argument than this glurge?
How about a tiny bit of a reality check.

First, health CODES are not laws. Laws have specific consequences that breaking them cause to be handed down by a judge. Codes themselves do not have specific consequences, though they can result in loss of privileges like licensure.

Second, founding fathers? You should really read up about public food preparation in the 18th century. This woman could have been rolling the tamales on the sidewalk, filling them with dog meat, and they still would have been "good" food according to the public food preparation standards of that time in this country. Additionally, as the founding fathers were removed from the puritans by a hundred years or so, they likely would not have put her in the stocks, ESPECIALLY for this.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,130,005 times
Quote:
Tamale Lady has been violating our laws for two decades. Raise your hand if you think she probably doesn't speak English. Raise your hand higher if you think she probably drives without a license, doesn't pay taxes and has a stolen social security number. Now raise your hand if you think, like most Americans, that law breakers like her are the last people we should welcome here.

I bet most Americans would raise their hands proudly. It would be nice if pols stopped pandering to the Latino lobby and listened to Americans instead.
And raise your other hand if you think Obama & all his minions (ICE included) will do one damn thing to
deport the lying B-tch. They condone these things.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,507,100 times
We have two people running for president and both are pandering for the Latino vote. Our jobless rate is over 8% and our national debt climbs daily. Most true Americans know that if we rid our country of all illegals, both those things plus the crime rate would improve. Where is a candidate that would have the guts to enforce the laws of our land. Stand up and I will vote for you.

Romney was leading Obama in the polls until he started this Latino pandering. If he wants to be president, he had better step up to the lawful plate and swing his bat. Otherwise he has about a snowballs change of ever being president.

These candidates do not understand how angry the true American citizens are about the invasion of our country and the lack of defense our government is showing for our legal citizens.

I have been sent many "surveys" by the Republican party but none of them ask even one question about how I feel about immigration reform. I will tell them; we do not need immigration reform. Our present laws are fine. We need the laws on the books enforced and we need a president more interested in what the legal citizens think then what the president of a third world country thinks.

Yes, our country is being invaded by people from a third world country and our country looks more like a third world country every day.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,861,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
House keepers, landscapers, cleaning pools... all the jobs of an underground economy unwilling to pay living wages, and especially taxes that reflect an integrated society from bottom to top. No matter how often you lie to yourself, the truth refuses to stay buried. You're really this oblivious, selfish, and entitled. Reality TV are your heroes? The moral of the tale is lost on you.
So selfish cheap employers collude with selfish scabs and the American public is supposed to be punished for it? Illegals flood the job market, push down wages, ignore the wishes of the American public and then demand to be rewarded for it.

They should go back to Mexico and make demands on the government there. People like this woman who have completely and selfishly ignored many of our laws including health codes designed to protect the American public from e.coli are not people we should welcome here. Employers will continue to get away with not paying decent wages as long as we let illegals come here without consequence. Mexico's oligarchy will continue to steal from Mexicans as long as many Mexicans cravenly come here instead of fighting it.

The moral of the tale is lost on you. Americans aren't slave owners. We are not evil people because we insist that people obey our immigration, employment and health laws. She's a mature adult who has voluntarily chosen to break multiple American laws. She's not a child. She's a criminal who should be sent back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How about a tiny bit of a reality check.

First, health CODES are not laws. Laws have specific consequences that breaking them cause to be handed down by a judge. Codes themselves do not have specific consequences, though they can result in loss of privileges like licensure.

Second, founding fathers? You should really read up about public food preparation in the 18th century. This woman could have been rolling the tamales on the sidewalk, filling them with dog meat, and they still would have been "good" food according to the public food preparation standards of that time in this country. Additionally, as the founding fathers were removed from the puritans by a hundred years or so, they likely would not have put her in the stocks, ESPECIALLY for this.
I'll take Missing the Point for one hundred, Alex.

This woman is selling food that, like herself, does not adhere to any laws. The practices of the day were attempts to get people to stop that nonsense. The term Baker's Dozen comes to mind. Such practices took long years to put into effect. Like labor laws, laws making sure the food supply was pure took a long time to come about. Now, having accomplished that goal, we're apparently supposed to set it aside to please the hispanic lobby. That's insane.

It's just yet another illustration of the problems illegals continue to create. Illegals make it harder to enforce all kinds of laws including labor laws, employment laws and laws governing our roads. In doing so they make our society less safe and ironically force to resemble the very societies they are fleeing.

Illegals and their defenders seem to believe that NOTHING illegals do should be grounds for deportation. How preposterous!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I'll take Missing the Point for one hundred, Alex.
Oh I didn't miss your point, to be reactionary and not particular fluent with the truth. I just think it is a **** poor point to make.

Quote:
This woman is selling food that, like herself, does not adhere to any laws. The practices of the day were attempts to get people to stop that nonsense. The term Baker's Dozen comes to mind. Such practices took long years to put into effect. Like labor laws, laws making sure the food supply was pure took a long time to come about. Now, having accomplished that goal, we're apparently supposed to set it aside to please the hispanic lobby. That's insane.
Impressive to fit so many strawman in one paragraph.

One, being an illegal alien, means she broke ONE law. The one regarding legal entry into this country. After that, she may have violated a health code, but again, this apparently goes right over your head, those are not laws.

I would also venture to guess, you have also broken a law or two.

As for "baker's dozen", again your ability to make friends with facts is clearly not at play here. The bakers dozen concept is not only not american, it also goes back to the 1200s or so. AND it is not a law. Seriously, go to Dunkin Donuts, ask for a bakers dozen, they will charge you for 13 of their nasty "donuts".

The point I am trying to make, is that this woman did not do anything many other people do not also do daily. And the occasional time those people get in trouble (as this girl did Oregon girl's lemonade stand shut down by health inspector - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com). People are up in arms about it being unfair. Well it is either unfair for everyone or not. Because otherwise it isn't really about the tamales is it?

Quote:
It's just yet another illustration of the problems illegals continue to create. Illegals make it harder to enforce all kinds of laws including labor laws, employment laws and laws governing our roads. In doing so they make our society less safe and ironically force to resemble the very societies they are fleeing.

Illegals and their defenders seem to believe that NOTHING illegals do should be grounds for deportation. How preposterous!
No the grounds for deportation are......... being here ILLEGALLY.

Not the tamales, or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration