U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 PM

1,510 posts, read 709,588 times

Advertisements

United States Flag Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the flag code has rarely been enforced, and the few attempts were found to violate 1st amendment rights. so these businessmen who flew the mexican flag above the US one will see no criminal penalty, because the statute violates the constitution! LOLOLOL!!! not to mention the flag code prohibits people from wearing the flag on apparel or used in advertising. its not even supposed to be flown if it has any wear whatsoever. i can imagine there are a bevy of "patriots" who have violated this silly law. people, EDUCATE YOURSELVES before you go spouting off all this anti-mexican sentiment.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
I dont see Korean, Japanese, China, Filipino town flying their (Motherland) flags on top of American flags.

We (Most Asians) can and have no problems Adhering to the RULES and the Constitution of this Country... Why cant (leeching chicanos) DO IT??!
in case you dont read my other posts, its not against any constitutional amendment. its a law passed by a town council in a single city in nevada. attempts to enforce legislation like these have failed due to the fact it is PROTECTED by the constitution. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
LOL!!!!

From CNN.com: This is where we've arrived in this country: You have the constitutional right to burn an American flag, but you can get into trouble for simply flying a foreign one. At least you can in the 30,000-person town of Pahrump, Nevada, which is close to Las Vegas and even closer to stepping over the line with an idiotic, intolerant and insulting ban on foreign (read: Mexican) flags.

^major news network calling it like it is. it seems it is only a crime in one town. it is not a federal or even a state law. constitutional rights take precedent over a small town with xenophobic councilmen.
Are you referring to this "commentary" by Ruben Navarette? Is he now the representative of CNN's opinion? Why do you leave out important details and only post what supports your point of view? Oh and by the way, since you are now making statements for a second time about US law, I'd like to remind you that I am still awaiting your response about US legislation in another thread.

Commentary:* Town makes it illegal to fly a foreign flag - CNN.com

Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,396 times
Default the word "Illegal"

I am glad someone started this thread. I am replying to voice, and share, my concern about the flag incident. The news station in Reno stated that flying any flag above the U.S. flag is "indeeed illegal." It is interesting that when the news describes this action as illegal, people begin say, "hey, this is illegal!" I wish the news would speak about how these folks are getting here in the first place by saying it is "Indeed illegal."

Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 PM

716 posts, read 1,867,410 times
Quote:
in case you dont read my other posts, its not against any constitutional amendment. its a law passed by a town council in a single city in nevada. attempts to enforce legislation like these have failed due to the fact it is PROTECTED by the constitution. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

RUBBISH!!!

Its not about educating myself with what i can get away with regards American law, its about RESPECT. Now go look up Humility and Respecting customs.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!

From CNN.com: This is where we've arrived in this country: You have the constitutional right to burn an American flag, but you can get into trouble for simply flying a foreign one. At least you can in the 30,000-person town of Pahrump, Nevada, which is close to Las Vegas and even closer to stepping over the line with an idiotic, intolerant and insulting ban on foreign (read: Mexican) flags.

^major news network calling it like it is. it seems it is only a crime in one town. it is not a federal or even a state law. constitutional rights take precedent over a small town with xenophobic councilmen.

Actually it's a violation of US Code, but it's one of those code violations that the federal government hasn't actually passed and enacted a penalty for. Which is why state law should be used to prosecute the violation. The government passed a law saying it's illegal, they just didn't say what the penalty was.

http://lieberman.senate.gov/documents/crs/usflag.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,053,512 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!

What else would you expect from the anti-American CNN. It is against the law to fly a foreign flag over an American flag. I suggest you take a trip down to Mexico and fly the American flag over the Mexiican flag. We will follow later with some cadaver dogs and bring your remains back to your family.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Actually it's a violation of US Code, but it's one of those code violations that the federal government hasn't actually passed and enacted a penalty for. Which is why state law should be used to prosecute the violation. The government passed a law saying it's illegal, they just didn't say what the penalty was.

http://lieberman.senate.gov/documents/crs/usflag.pdf (broken link)
the US flag code. i already linked to this, but the wiki article.

if you read up on it, it has no enforced penalty because it violates the first amendment. there are many things the flag code deems illegal that are practiced by citizens daily.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

207 posts, read 925,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

http://krnv.images.worldnow.com/images/7162515_BG1.jpg (broken link)

A vet cut down the flag. Make sure you watch the video in the blue box. I am so sick of these Mexicans that have a "spit in your face" attitude when they are living off this country and I don't care about any comments that it is not just Mexicans. It seems it is only the Mexicans that make every attempt to dissrespect this country.
arent you the hardcore Republican, dont you know its your buddies who want them in this country so they can raise more profits for the wall street types?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
RUBBISH!!!

Its not about educating myself with what i can get away with regards American law, its about RESPECT. Now go look up Humility and Respecting customs.
respect is a two-way street. theyre not breaking any laws, so you don't have a leg to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration