U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,550,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks to the both of you. I don't consider myself special for having served our country but I'd like a little respect now that I am old and only want to enjoy my retirement and my grandchildren. It's not respectful to have someone imply you are useless now and shouldn't be entitled to medical care when needed but instead spend those tax dollars on illegal immigrants.
Old??? Good lord!!! That "someone" and everyone who thinks that way have yet to live. They have yet to learn what you have forgotten. Probably from the "you owe me" group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks to the both of you. I don't consider myself special for having served our country but I'd like a little respect now that I am old and only want to enjoy my retirement and my grandchildren. It's not respectful to have someone imply you are useless now and shouldn't be entitled to medical care when needed but instead spend those tax dollars on illegal immigrants.
There used to be a time when people respected their elders. Sadly, those days are gone. I think many tend to forget youth is fleeting. But, before they know it, they'll be one of those "useless" people. I only hope they receive the treatment they truly deserve. You know what they say about karma.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:43 PM

27,815 posts, read 37,852,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I salute you and thank you for your service!!

One can only wonder what the poster will do with his parents when they reach their senior years. If he passes that attitude down to his children I bet when he becomes a senior and may need care they will put him in the car, and when they approach the home, slow down to 5 mph, toss him out, and then hit the brakes (as the well should!!!)
It would surprise you to know that that poster (me) is a boomer himself and also a Viet Vet. I just remember that I got a hand up when I got back from the "greatest generation" and think that boomers who are too racist and too selfish to support the same for younger Americans ought to get nothing more from this nation.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM

153 posts, read 108,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Investing in the education of illegal immigrants US born children has a much better ROI than wasting money on boomers' medical care.
I am skeptical about the rate of returns for state education, especially in the form of our current model. The German Federation and United Kingdom seem to have a better primary education model in that they don't attempt to encourage everyone to go to the traditional university. It is my understanding that in Germany those who don't excel in the traditional sciences are instead fast tracked into trade schools in order to give them skills that'll improve their value as employees. Compare this to the USA model where everyone is expected to spend X number of years in courses that are of little consequence to them in later life.

I do think however that you have a germ of truth regarding the money spent on the medical care of baby boomers.

Now let me make it clear I am not calling the elderly useless. I do however think that the USA's system for providing aid to the elderly is objectionable on practical grounds and needs immediate reform. As it stands now payments made from current workers go to paying the benefits of past workers; i.e. it is a ponzi scheme. I sympathize with the elderly who were coaxed into accepting these programs, really I do. However the ponzi scheme should not be continued, as to do so would be stealing from the young. What needs to be done is for us to begin transitioning away from these state run programs. To do otherwise will harm not only today's elderly, but tomorrow's elderly.

Social Security vs. Private Retirement - YouTube

Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
It would surprise you to know that that poster (me) is a boomer himself and also a Viet Vet. I just remember that I got a hand up when I got back from the "greatest generation" and think that boomers who are too racist and too selfish to support the same for younger Americans ought to get nothing more from this nation.
I don't consider it racist or selfish not to desire that our tax dollars be spent on illegal immigrants. What race are you referring to anyway? I wasn't aware that illegal immigrants are just one race. I personally think it selfish that any American would put the welfare of illegal foreingers above the welfare of Americans and certainly not above our own elderly. Our tax dollars can only be stretched so far and illegal immigrants are not Americans.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm quite surprised. You got a hand up from government for serving your country. Your parents were working taxpayers. See the difference? Was that hand up perpetual? Are you still getting that hand up? There is a huge difference between a hand up and a hand out.

What do you have to say about those young Americans who think your benefits should be taken away from you? That every dollar you get from the government for working is a dollar less in their pocket? That you are a burden on them and how you snatched away their future and denying them a future by your very existence? Why should Americans have the burden of supporting a child born to illegal parents who never served this country and will never serve this country, who only knows how to take and not to give? Are you as sympathic to American citizens who are on welfare who have made welfare a lifestyle? This government should be more focused on giving a better hand up to those Americans rather than being so concerned to give a hand up to non-Americans.

It's not about racism. It's about illegals, who come in all shades of color. It's about the demands they make on government and government accommodating illegals and their US born children at the expense of taxpayers. As a boomer you know damn well that for the majority of that generation, welfare was never an option. We had something instilled in us which was called "pride". We were taught that if you want someone go out and work for it. I became a single parent in 1969 and although welfare was available to me I couldn't bring myself to live off of it. I went out and worked to support myself and my daughter.

You need to go to websites to see just how many of these illegals "respect" Americans and don't give a damn about you, me or any other American. The only thing they give a damn about is they want what they want, which includes providing for their children. If there was ever a call for duty where there was a real attack/threat on the US, do you think the illegals and those about to become legal would be at the front of the line to serve the country that took them in? They would be so far back in the line that they would probably be standing on the other side of the border. It would be the first time they weren't in the front of a line because there wouldn't be a hand out waiting for them.

We have a perfect example of an illegal on this forum who doesn't respect our laws and thinks laws should be changed to accommodate illegals. That's pretty much the mentality of illegals. "Do what is right for me, give me what I need, give me what I want, you owe me, I'm special".

Last edited by softblueyz; 08-10-2012 at 03:21 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
I am skeptical about the rate of returns for state education, especially in the form of our current model. The German Federation and United Kingdom seem to have a better primary education model in that they don't attempt to encourage everyone to go to the traditional university. It is my understanding that in Germany those who don't excel in the traditional sciences are instead fast tracked into trade schools in order to give them skills that'll improve their value as employees.

I do think however that you have a germ of truth regarding the money spent on the medical care of baby boomers.

Now let me make it clear I am not calling the elderly useless. I do however think that the USA's system for providing aid to the elderly is objectionable on practical grounds and needs immediate reform. As it stands now payments made from current workers go to paying the benefits of past workers; i.e. it is a ponzi scheme. I sympathize with the elderly who were coaxed into accepting these programs, really I do. However the ponzi scheme should not be continued, as to do so would be stealing from the young. What needs to be done is for us to begin transitioning away from these state run programs. To do otherwise will harm not only today's elderly, but tomorrow's elderly.
The public school level of education has been dumbed down to accommodate those who can't keep up. Children who are at a 5th grade reading level are suffering from educational development which is slowed down because of those in the same class at a 3rd grade reading level needing extra attention. Schools need to downshift to accommodate the slower students at the expense of the smarter student.

Quote:
Compare this to the USA model where everyone is expected to spend X number of years in courses that are of little consequence to them in later life.

What does this mean? Are you saying that EVERYONE is choosing to take an educational path that is inconsequential to their future? Did it ever occur to you that there aren't any jobs out there where they can apply their education? Or is there a waiting list for Americans applying for a degree in basketweaving while illegals are topping out in the medical and computer technology fields?

You don't have a problem with illegals abusing and bleeding our health care system dry by not paying for medical treatement, dumbing down public grade school education, or living off of welfare, but you have a problem with what elderly American citizens get. The very people who worked and paid taxes into the system. How does that work?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The public school level of education has been dumbed down to accommodate those who can't keep up. Children who are at a 5th grade reading level are suffering from educational development which is slowed down because of those in the same class at a 3rd grade reading level needing extra attention. Schools need to downshift to accommodate the slower students at the expense of the smarter student.

What does this mean? Are you saying that EVERYONE is choosing to take an educational path that is inconsequential to their future? Did it ever occur to you that there aren't any jobs out there where they can apply their education? Or is there a waiting list for Americans applying for a degree in basketweaving while illegals are topping out in the medical and computer technology fields?

You don't have a problem with illegals abusing and bleeding our health care system dry by not paying for medical treatement, dumbing down public grade school education, or living off of welfare, but you have a problem with what elderly American citizens get. The very people who worked and paid taxes into the system. How does that work?
Just correcting..... SS and Medicare are not state programs but federal ones. Each new generation has had to contribute to those funds via their tax deductions on earnings. Why should the young worker resent supporting the elderly from their FICA contributions when they retire they will have the same programs available to them supported by the new worker generation?

SS and Medicare do need to be re-vamped and both parties realize this. If those funds would have been invested instead of squandered for other things we wouldn't be in this pickle today. I don't see denying our own elderly medical treatment to educate or spend any of our tax dollars on illegal immigrants or their offspring as the fair or humane thing to do for our own elderly citizens whom most have been productive members of our society and paid taxes all their lives.

I think that Medicaid and other welfare types of programs are the two that really need re-vamping and stiffer requirements implemented to qualify for them. Most who draw from those funds are of working age (unlike seniors who can no longer work and more likely to have health issues) and illegal immigrant parents should not be able to access those funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or