Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
Precisely. Why does Happytexan Quinceañera is a license to procreate? Similarly, are we to view Sweet Sixteens or other secular coming-of-age ceremonies differently?

Also Seinfeld showing that some jewish boys do seem to mistake what coming-to-age means.

Seinfeld - Elaine receives a kiss from a child - YouTube
Seinfeld? You do know it was a comedy show, not to be taken seriously, and they mocked just about everything?

You apparently missed what the purpose of a bar/bat mitzvah is. Let me repeat it for you:

It is a religious ceremony that celebrates the coming of age where they are morally and ethically responsible for their decisions

How on earth can you compare the "coming of age" of an hispanic girl and its "perception" that she is a "woman" at the age of 15, and religious jews who celebrate the coming of age with purpose? Do you know that boys and girls prepare themselves through study for their bar/bat mitzvah? That study is about morals and responsibilities that they are expected to live up to. If you want to compare 15 year old Mexican girls to 12 year old jewish girls, answer this: After "coming of age" what is the out of wedlock birth rate for religious jews? What are the drug usage, crime and rape stats for religious jews? From religious to non-practicing jews the total numbers are extremely low.

Just how much do you know about religious Jews? Even moderate/conservative religious jews continue to celebrate bar/bat mitzvahs as a child's passage to adulthood with the same purpose - morals and responsibility. Then you have jews who hold bar/bat mitzvahs because it's a great way to bankroll he child's education. It has about as much meaning as Christmas does to them.

Sweet Sixteen has become a tradition that no longer holds the traditional meaning that it once had. In Catholicism communion and confirmation is a duty, a religious ritual than has no teachings about "coming of age".

Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
[quote=softblueyz;25556584]On the P&OC forum I wasn't asked, I was TOLD, to produce facts on a statement I had made. Basically I said that children born in the US to illegals are entitled to government welfare. And those babies, when they reach their teens, have a baby to get full blown welfare benefits for herself and her child(ren) and it becomes a cycle - welfare from cradle to grave.

No need to produce the fact that children born in the US to illegals qualify for welfare. One must live in a cave not to know that. To support the teen pregnancy statement I found the article below. It also discusses the education (or lack thereof). Here's the funny thing, this is from 2007 and the article states:

Fast forward 2012: Replace Republican with Democrat. Because that's exactly how Obama sees things - Mexican illegals will save America.

Illegal Immigration's Family Breakdown | Conservative News, Views & Books

Quote:
]“Most of the people I used to hang out with when I first came to the school have dropped out,” observed Jackie, a vivacious illegal alien from Guatemala, who is getting her GED at Belmont High School in Los Angeles’s overwhelmingly Hispanic, gang-ridden Rampart district. “Others got kicked out or got into drugs. Five graduated, and four home girls got pregnant.”
Quote:
Now, what are the odds that the girls from the "others got kicked out or got into drugs" wouldn't get pregnant?

So in 2007 it was noted - the largest and fastest-growing population (by virtue of entering the country illegal and reproduction). I doubt much has changed with regard to the content of the article.

As Gomer Pyle would say: Surprise!!! Surprise!!! Surprise!!!!

Well, I'll be damned. I guess our erstwhile mexican immigrants are assimilating after all. Perhaps we should have been a little more specific about exactly which culture they were supposed to assimilate into.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, I'll be damned. I guess our erstwhile mexican immigrants are assimilating after all. Perhaps we should have been more specific about exactly which culture they were supposed to assimilate into.
DREAMERS???? High School graduation photo? Obama's future for America??

Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
DREAMERS???? Obama's future for America??

Well, it is workin' for him.

Fox News poll: Obama leads Romney by 9

Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Well, it is workin' for him.

Fox News poll: Obama leads Romney by 9
Haven't watched the news today. Did Obama come up with another name for Romney? The last one was "Romney Hood" and Romney came back with "Obamaloney". I mean, this campaign is about who can act the most childish and who can throw the the most poop isn't it?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Haven't watched the news today. Did Obama come up with another name for Romney? The last one was "Romney Hood" and Romney came back with "Obamaloney". I mean, this campaign is about who can act the most childish and who can throw the the most poop isn't it?
It's beyond belief. Rather than focusing on REAL issues such as the economy and unemployment, these idiots are busy trying to see who can coin the catchiest phrase and raise the most millions. Talk about a total waste of money. I'm disgusted by both of these childish schoolyard campaigns.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 AM

153 posts, read 131,380 times
Quote:
Seinfeld? You do know it was a comedy show, not to be taken seriously, and they mocked just about everything?
The Seinfeld video I included was a light hearted attempt at a joke. You do understand that writing have different tones right?

Quote:
How on earth can you compare the "coming of age" of an hispanic girl and its "perception" that she is a "woman" at the age of 15, and religious jews who celebrate the coming of age with purpose? Do you know that boys and girls prepare themselves through study for their bar/bat mitzvah? That study is about morals and responsibilities that they are expected to live up to. If you want to compare 15 year old Mexican girls to 12 year old jewish girls, answer this: After "coming of age" what is the out of wedlock birth rate for religious jews? What are the drug usage, crime and rape stats for religious jews? From religious to non-practicing jews the total numbers are extremely low.
You don't know what a Quince is, do you? It's a religious ceremony for several hispanic Catholics; I believe Brazilians celebrate differently. It isn't simply an extravagant party. The actual quince is performed in the church with a priest presiding over the affair. The party afterward is festive, but secondary to this initial church event. It's comparison to its Jewish counterpart is hardly inappropriate.

My concern with HappyTexas' comment is that it implies at some level that hispanic culture encourages teenage pregnancy.

Quote:
Just how much do you know about religious Jews?
Well actually my paternal grandfather is a leader of his Jewish community and paternally I'm of Germanic-Jewish descent. Admittedly I was raised as a Catholic, so my knowledge is not stellar. It is sufficient however that I feel confident in comparing its coming of age ceremonies with the Catholic counterpart.

Quote:
Sweet Sixteen has become a tradition that no longer holds the traditional meaning that it once had. In Catholicism communion and confirmation is a duty, a religious ritual than has no teachings about "coming of age".
I must admit that I'm unclear if a Sweet Sixteen has any religious meaning. I've always assumed it evolved from a protestant tradition. A Quince however is, in the Catholic church as practiced by the hispanic community (with the exception of Brazilians and co.), a religious coming of age ceremony for women.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 AM

153 posts, read 131,380 times
Quote:
Well, I'll be damned. I guess our erstwhile mexican immigrants are assimilating after all. Perhaps we should have been a little more specific about exactly which culture they were supposed to assimilate into.
Humor me. Which culture were they supposed to be assimilating into?

Mitt Romney over there has Mexican roots and, through his father (mexican born), is entitled to claim Mexican nationality under current Mexican nationality law. He seems to speak English just fine. He's a Mormon, and that might be a problem with Evangelicals, but you needn't worry about him being a tool of the Papacy like the rest of us dastardly Catholics. I like to think that, although I personally dislike him, he is respectable to most Americans enough to support his current bid for the Presidency.

If his family has assimilated, why this assumption that other Mexicans or other migrants can't? Can you tell a migrant from a natural born Citizen on the street? And if so, how can you? Is it whether they have guns? Because as someone who has several NRA friends, I can assure you posing with guns is hardly exclusive to migrants.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
DREAMERS???? High School graduation photo? Obama's future for America??
Right you are softblueyz; Obama's futur plans, are already taking place. Can you imagine how much more worse he is going to make it!

Why can't voters not see this. This is important, just as our economy is, but Bozo seems to want to sidestep the important issues.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:32 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
My concern with HappyTexas' comment is that it implies at some level that hispanic culture encourages teenage pregnancy.
I don't think he is saying that the culture "encourages" teen pregnancy. I think he is talking about the lack of morals, virtue and responsibility, that seems to come with the "coming of age" and there must be some truth to it if you look at the statistics.

Quote:
I must admit that I'm unclear if a Sweet Sixteen has any religious meaning. I've always assumed it evolved from a protestant tradition. A Quince however is, in the Catholic church as practiced by the hispanic community (with the exception of Brazilians and co.), a religious coming of age ceremony for women.
Back in the day (Pilgrims???) Sweet Sixteen was celebrated for a girl's virginity. Now, for many, it is seen as "coming of age" and for many it's just another birthday that they are suppose to celebrate by having an extravagant party. Pretty much the same as quince absent the religion. The lighting of 16 candles is still symbolic and has to do with friends and family. I guess quince is the equivalent to confirmation.

Many cultures and certain religions celebrate the "coming of age" at different ages but coming of age does not mean one is an adult, but entering the cycle of adulthood and should prepare themself for the responsibilities that come with adulthood. Upper class and elite society celebrate their daughter's adulthood by introducing them to society at debutante balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration