U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM

27,996 posts, read 46,366,300 times

Advertisements

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (CNN) -- Eduardo Gonzalez, a petty officer second class with the U.S. Navy, is about to be deployed overseas for a third time. Making his deployment even tougher is the fact his wife may not be around when he comes back.

His wife faces deportation to Guatemala -- her home country that she hasn't seen since 1989. He also doesn't know what would happen to his young son, Eduardo Jr., if that happens.

"I like being in uniform and serving my country, but if she goes back I'm going to have to give it all up and just get out and take care of my son and get a job," he said.

"Defending the country that's trying to kick my family out is a thought that always runs through my mind."

U.S. sailor: Don't deport my wife - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 PM

383 posts, read 1,020,913 times
I thought if you were a legal citizen, and you marry a non-US citizen, then they would become legal as well? Or am I wrong?

Say if I were to visit Britain, and marry a British woman and bring her back here, she could legally live here.

I think this story is bogus.

Edit-Read it thorally, and I guess they can ship people off who are married to legal citizens? I personally feel that is bull****, but that is just me.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM

716 posts, read 1,867,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
I thought if you were a legal citizen, and you marry a non-US citizen, then they would become legal as well? Or am I wrong?

Say if I were to visit Britain, and marry a British woman and bring her back here, she could legally live here.

I think this story is bogus.

Edit-Read it thorally, and I guess they can ship people off who are married to legal citizens? I personally feel that is bull****, but that is just me.
With regards marrying an American citizen giving you automatic rights to stay is not at all that straight forward.
If ie your out of status (illegally staying after your given allowable stay - Visa) and then marrying to an American wont grant you the right to stay here. Its that simple.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM

82 posts, read 48,941 times
Too bad he just didn't do it right and bring her over with the proper paperwork. If that were the case, he wouldn't have anything to worry about now would he???

Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM

716 posts, read 1,867,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRR View Post
Too bad he just didn't do it right and bring her over with the proper paperwork. If that were the case, he wouldn't have anything to worry about now would he???
Well, the right course of action for him to take was to take his spouse out of the country return her to point of origin, get married, and do all the bits and pieces (ie paperwork) from there after some wait she would be get better chances of being granted a conditional 2 year stay in America which will then be re-evaluated again thereafter.. If given the all clear she should get her citizenship another 2 years...

Some people dont know the importance of self education and doing things right in this situation. If people just learn to research & comply, there wouldnt be this fuss or problems. American system is systematic, hard compared to British immigration, but is fair.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post

She'd have to agree to learn to speak American.....

Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM

273 posts, read 178,380 times
Laws were broken and there should be a penalty short of deportation, for anyone serving to protect our country. I'll always side with service men first...even in cases such as this.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
I'd say send her back, and I'd take a serious look at revoking the sailor's security clearance.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,053,512 times
While I have some compassion for this soldier’s situation, an illegal is an illegal. If we are going to get serious about deporting illegal immigrants there should be no exceptions because those that stay start bring in their family members, one by one.

Why should anyone that crossed our borders be given and consideration when they gave no consideration to immigrants that follow our laws and go through the process to come here legally?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Personally I think if she has a clean record and is working, let her stay and start the paperwork. That is better than losing a good sailor, especially in time of war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration