Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,502,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The Dream Act should and must only apply to people who are here LEGALLY!!!
Unfortunately, only illegal aliens qualify for the DREAM Act. Illegals even pay lower tuition rates than foreign students here legally on visas. This is absolute insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,757,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Update: She can stay! Apparently they realize how bad it would look if they forced her to leave while rolling out the red carpet to millions of illegals. It would also be obvious DACA was offered solely for Hispanic votes. Obama would have some explaining to do.

British-born woman brought to America at 4-years-old granted permission to stay in her adopted homeland - NY Daily News
That's great news.

Not only would it look bad, but it would have been just plain wrong!!! Thanks to Claire Mccaskill - a Democrat. Who knows if it was to put out a potential fire that could erupt for Obama or if she truly saw that it was the wrong thing to do. I can't believe that behind closed doors democrats are in total agreement with Obama's immigration policies. Obama's immigration policies for Mexicans reeks of discrimination.

I hope other young people in her position are allowed to continue their lives in the US.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,366,651 times
Can't she apply for the "dream" act?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
That's great news.

Not only would it look bad, but it would have been just plain wrong!!! Thanks to Claire Mccaskill - a Democrat. Who knows if it was to put out a potential fire that could erupt for Obama or if she truly saw that it was the wrong thing to do. I can't believe that behind closed doors democrats are in total agreement with Obama's immigration policies. Obama's immigration policies for Mexicans reeks of discrimination.

I hope other young people in her position are allowed to continue their lives in the US.
I agree. I can't believe other Democrats in Congress do not oppose Obama's pandering. But, they won't dare comment so close to the election. But, I'm sure there will be other cases to expose this travesty.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
Can't she apply for the "dream" act?
The DREAM Act is only for those who were brought to this country illegally, or their parents overstayed visas. Her parents have not violated our laws.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,829,877 times
Quote:
Update: She can stay! Apparently they realize how bad it would look if they forced her to leave while rolling out the red carpet to millions of illegals. It would also be obvious DACA was offered solely for Hispanic votes. Obama would have some explaining to do.

British-born woman brought to America at 4-years-old granted permission to stay in her adopted homeland - NY Daily News
I'm glad things were made right for that lady. I'd say the SAME thing if the people in this thread were "brown" Hispanics instead of anglo whites.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,224,712 times
Please! The "Dream Act" is only for Hispanics....doh!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,829,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I'm getting that as well. Tho probably only certain Hispanics like "brown" Mexicans; white Spaniards don't count.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:38 PM

153 posts, read 130,881 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you got the impression that I am "implying" anything about Dreamies. In fact, I never even alluded to whether they do or do not support this girl. But, since you mentioned it. . . . . .
The tone of your initial post implied a difference between those whose parents came over and overstayed their visas or entered without inspection versus those who entered on a visa and hadn't overstayed. It was unclear if this implication was there, or simply an unintended tone.

Quote:
While some believe she should be allowed to stay, others show no compassion for her whatsoever, which is rather ironic given their constant whining about their "unfair" treatment. Given their status and circumstances, I would expect them to empathize with her. But, Dreamies have consistently shown themselves to be a narcissistic group, so their attitudes are not surprising.
For example this portion sounds to imply there is a difference between this girl and Dreamers. I don't see the difference. The girl is a potential overstayer - although luckily it seems she won't be deported or acrue unlawful presence. Several other dreamers were brought over legally and, when faced with similar scenarios, overstayed their legal presence rather than go somewhere they didn't consider home.

I do concede that I am disappointed in those dreamers who have... elitist views when comparing themselves to others.

Quote:
No, this is NOT a perfect example of what's wrong with DACA or the DREAM Act. However, it IS a perfect example of illegals receiving better treatment than legal immigrants. And, we certainly don't need immigration reform aka amnesty. Amnesty and the lack of immigration enforcement is the reason we are in this mess.
Again, a perfect example of why the DREAM Act and DACA are imperfect. Visa overstayers, as she would have been if she refused to self-deport to a place she didn't presumably consider home or receiving benefit last minute, will not benefit from DACA if their visas expired after June 15th 2012. It doesn't take into account those who aged out either; the original dreamers are reaching their 30s and DACA has only helped out those who are 2nd or 3rd generation.

The DREAM Act too, as you put it, helps 'illegals' more so than 'legals'. Both are imperfect solutions and the immigration system as a whole needs to be overhauled. Contrary to claims by certain people, the current system is hardly generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Tell that to the several thousand illegal Irish dreamers over at Boston or illegal Canadians in the midwest. The DREAM Act is imperfect, but it isn't only for hispanics.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,649,766 times
As a legal immigrant I couldn't not sign this. You can bet she ain't the first legal immigrant who actually contributes to society who's faced this sort of issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration