Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lauren fits those exact criteria. She attended elementary through high school here. She attended a four-year college and earned a higher education degree from that college. She has a very good standing within the community and is very motivated to become a contributing citizen as an adult.

However, one word in the DREAM Act stops Lauren's check list before it starts; the word "illegal."
Chillicothe News - Chillicothe, MO

She was brought to the U.S. when she was four, grew up here, and has lived here continuously for 17 years. She considers the U.S. her home. Her parents played by the rules by entering the U.S. legally, and complying with all of their visa requirements. Now, because she has turned 21 and can no longer be considered a minor under her parents' visa, she is required by law to return to her country of origin, and apply for re-entry to the U.S. through our legal immigration process. After all, the law must be enforced.

Contrast her story with that of Dreamies, whose parents brought them here illegally or violated the terms of their visa. Unlike her, they are not required to return to their homeland to apply for a visa to return to the US. After all, it would be "racist and inhumane" to force them to return to "a country they do not know." Furthermore, why should they be "punished" for the behavior of their parents? Right?

Not only are Dreamies being offered an amnesty gift from Obama, but the DREAM Act, which will offer them legalization and a path to citizenship even up to the age of 35, will be on the Democratic platform at the upcoming convention. This, they believe, is sure to secure the Hispanic vote.

Someone please explain why according to Obama, it is "the right thing to do" to allow illegal aliens who entered this country under the age of 16, have lived here for only 5 years, and may even be over the age of 21, to not only be allowed to remain here without returning home, but are being offered a legal presence through the granting of temporary status and deferred action, complete with work permits, and a SSN. But, it is somehow "NOT the right thing to do" to allow this young lady to remain in this country to petition her status change.

This is yet another illustration of the glaring disparity in treatment between law-abiding legal immigrants and lawless illegal aliens. Why on earth would anyone now choose to go through legal channels given the red carpet treatment illegals receive? If this is not a travesty, please tell me what is.

Fortunately, there is now a petition to help her. Note the comments.

Petition | President Obama: Allow legal Immigrants to qualify for the DREAM Act. | Change.org

Last edited by Benicar; 08-10-2012 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Oops! Forgot to link to the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
I'm good with it, signed.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'm good with it, signed.
Kudos!

Hopefully, they will get enough signatures to stop her deportation. This is wrong on so many levels.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Signed and commented!!!! This is wrong on so many levels.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I don't understand Obama's reasoning. And in this instance, on so very many levels this is so wrong.

If immigration law was really truly enforced, we would not have the problem with illegals, that we have today.

Those who seek power, would surely do something about it, if they truly cared about the issue. Most AMERICANS i know care about this issue.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM

153 posts, read 131,380 times
I can't speak for the Obama administration, but I should hope you aren't implying Dreamers or their movement would want to see this girl deported. This is a perfect example of why DACA isn't enough and there needs to be immigration reform to fix the broken system. Even the DREAM Act is a halfway compromise.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
The parents did come on a work visa. Not a permanent resident visa so they should have made plans for the kids to go back or been as proactive as possible in getting their status changed. I don't feel too bad if everyone knew the rules beforehand.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
I can't speak for the Obama administration, but I should hope you aren't implying Dreamers or their movement would want to see this girl deported. This is a perfect example of why DACA isn't enough and there needs to be immigration reform to fix the broken system. Even the DREAM Act is a halfway compromise.
I'm not sure how you got the impression that I am "implying" anything about Dreamies. In fact, I never even alluded to whether they do or do not support this girl. But, since you mentioned it. . . . . .

Quote:
So she is aging out because she turned 21, big deal it's happened to everyone here.
Quote:
Dont get why many of you would not support her, even if her case is a bit unusual than what we are accustomed to.
And, my favorites. Talk about nerve. . .

Quote:
Only people to blame here are her parents. She lived in this country for almost 17 years and none of them have thought "well, what once she gets close to 21 years old? She will lose her visa, we should probably go see a lawyer and see if there's any option"
Quote:
Yeah, that's a massive WTF.

In 17 years they did not find a way to adjust their status? Why?
"President Obama: Allow LEGAL Immigrants to qualify for the DREAM Act." Petition - Page 2 - DREAM Act Portal Forum

While some believe she should be allowed to stay, others show no compassion for her whatsoever, which is rather ironic given their constant whining about their "unfair" treatment. Given their status and circumstances, I would expect them to empathize with her. But, Dreamies have consistently shown themselves to be a narcissistic group, so their attitudes are not surprising.

No, this is NOT a perfect example of what's wrong with DACA or the DREAM Act. However, it IS a perfect example of illegals receiving better treatment than legal immigrants. And, we certainly don't need immigration reform aka amnesty. Amnesty and the lack of immigration enforcement is the reason we are in this mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
The parents did come on a work visa. Not a permanent resident visa so they should have made plans for the kids to go back or been as proactive as possible in getting their status changed. I don't feel too bad if everyone knew the rules beforehand.
What her parents should have or could have done is irrelevant. The point is, she was brought here legally and her parents complied with our laws. Yet, unlike those whose parents flagrantly violated our laws and are nonetheless being amnestied, the law must be enforced in her case. Do you actually not see this as unjust?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Update: She can stay! Apparently they realize how bad it would look if they forced her to leave while rolling out the red carpet to millions of illegals. It would also be obvious DACA was offered solely for Hispanic votes. Obama would have some explaining to do.

Quote:
Gray’s struggle gained national attention, and some high powered state and federal officials came to her aid, gearing up for a battle that seemed as if it could alter the entire course of her life.

“I made a personal call to Janet Napolitano and brought Lauren’s situation to her attention and she agreed that it is young women like Lauren we want in the United States of America,” Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill told the Kansas City Star.
British-born woman brought to America at 4-years-old granted permission to stay in her adopted homeland - NY Daily News

Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
The Dream Act should and must only apply to people who are here LEGALLY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration