U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Reputation: 1675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Why is the translation beeped out?
Guera just means light complected girl, or a Blondie.

I don't konw why white people are complaining about this.
Using the "race card" haha.

Anyways, I think this should be more offensive to Latinos anyways.
But we're pretty good at taking a joke. I can picture most Chicanos laughing at this.


Why on Earth is this 'anti-white'?
LMFAO!!! I have to post because an older Latin lady in the grocery store referred to ME as "güero" the other day to another store employee, likely because of my white skin (I do not have blonde hair). I don't really think it's offensive at all because it's often used as a compliment. In fact, the first time I ever heard it was from a Mexican guy who was describing a good-looking girl (who was at the time talking on her cell-phone in SPANISH, mind you) with light skin who was walking by him and his buddy. The word "gringo" is much more offensive because it means a non-Hispanic "outsider" of any color. "Güero," on the other hand, can be used to describe light-skinned people of both Hispanic AND non-Hispanic origin. The exact way in which I would translate the sign that caused all the controversy is "As good as the cute blonde chick that's looking at you / checking you out." Now does THAT sound "anti white" ?!? LOL

 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
LMFAO!!! I have to post because an older Latin lady in the grocery store referred to ME as "güero" the other day to another store employee, likely because of my white skin (I do not have blonde hair). I don't really think it's offensive at all because it's often used as a compliment. In fact, the first time I ever heard it was from a Mexican guy who was describing a good-looking girl (who was at the time talking on her cell-phone in SPANISH, mind you) with light skin who was walking by him and his buddy. The word "gringo" is much more offensive because it means a non-Hispanic "outsider" of any color. "Güero," on the other hand, can be used to describe light-skinned people of both Hispanic AND non-Hispanic origin. The exact way in which I would translate the sign that caused all the controversy is "As good as the cute blonde chick that's looking at you / checking you out." Now does THAT sound "anti white" ?!? LOL
Even calling a girl "negra" isn't usually meant to be very offensive, but more affectionate. Or gordita. Or Flaquita.

Also, I was once called "guero" by a Mexican cook who was very light skinned with light hair because my Spanish is pretty bad. It's all in fun, really.
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:19 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Once again, as I've posted many times before, this is neither a 'racial insult' nor is it 'anti-white'..This is purely and simply a case of cultural inappropriateness.

The Mexican culture...(particularly the lower 'blue collar' end) makes great use of nicknames and 'familiar' terms. Even among strangers or very casual acquaintances, no offense is taken, and none is intended, by terms like "skinny", "chubby", "shorty", "darkie", "blondie", "pale one", "baldy", etc etc etc. "Gringo", too is freely used, normally not in any derogatory way.

The problem is, this is America, and here, we don't use the Mexican culture. WE have our OWN culture. And in the American culture, there's MUCH LESS acceptance of such informal nicknames. You'd better be pretty well acquainted with a person, before 'nicknaming' him. Sometimes in a strictly male, rough-and-ready environment, (military barracks, offshore oil rig, etc etc) we MAY get away with it...maybe a "Red"..or "Slim" or "Curly" (sometimes for a bald guy)...but that's about ALL. In the "gringo" culture, nicknames are bestowed ONLY sparingly, and only after the parties know each other...or if one is a public figure. Anything else is considered rude, offensive, and totally inappropriate.

So there you have it. Sounds hard to believe, because here in America we're told we "have no culture", and that "all cultures are equivalent, anyway"..but they're not. We DO have a culture here, and what's appropriate in ONE culture can easily give offense in another. This billboard is an example. It's been a LONG time, particularly over the past few "PC" decades, since American advertisers would use this type of approach, when targeting an American market. Why? Because in American culture, it's rude and low-class. In Mexican culture (particularly when targeting male beer-drinkers), it's not. And this is America, and our culture here is the American culture.

Want to understand how "what's OK in one place may not be appreciated in another?". Fine. Try putting up this billboard in Damascus..or in Tehran. What seems "OK" in Denver MAY cause problems there...even if the advertisers don't mean to offend.
You know what you are talking about there.

Guera is most likely meant as blonde.

But as far as American advertising having more taste and being more conservative, I can't help but be reminded of a commercial showing Paris Hilton eating a pastrami burger while cleaning her car in daisy dukes.
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You know what you are talking about there.

Guera is most likely meant as blonde.

But as far as American advertising having more taste and being more conservative, I can't help but be reminded of a commercial showing Paris Hilton eating a pastrami burger while cleaning her car in daisy dukes.
Too bad the ad people could not use the original Daisy Duke of 20 years ago---------Catherine Bach is a Latina!

Paris Hilton--------yuck
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:29 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Too bad the ad people could not use the original Daisy Duke of 20 years ago---------Catherine Bach is a Latina!

Paris Hilton--------yuck
I can't think of any other daisy duke besides Jessica Simpson. Guess that shows my age.
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:31 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Reputation: 47449
its not horrible. but if you think mexican guys are not a turn on for white girls
think again.
antonio banderas is not repulsive.
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 6,017,866 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
...The problem is, this is America, and here, we don't use the Mexican culture. WE have our OWN culture. And in the American culture, there's MUCH LESS acceptance of such informal nicknames. You'd better be pretty well acquainted with a person, before 'nicknaming' him. Sometimes in a strictly male, rough-and-ready environment, (military barracks, offshore oil rig, etc etc) we MAY get away with it...maybe a "Red"..or "Slim" or "Curly" (sometimes for a bald guy)...but that's about ALL. In the "gringo" culture, nicknames are bestowed ONLY sparingly, and only after the parties know each other...or if one is a public figure. Anything else is considered rude, offensive, and totally inappropriate.

So there you have it. Sounds hard to believe, because here in America we're told we "have no culture", and that "all cultures are equivalent, anyway"..but they're not. We DO have a culture here, and what's appropriate in ONE culture can easily give offense in another. This billboard is an example. It's been a LONG time, particularly over the past few "PC" decades, since American advertisers would use this type of approach, when targeting an American market. Why? Because in American culture, it's rude and low-class. In Mexican culture (particularly when targeting male beer-drinkers), it's not. And this is America, and our culture here is the American culture...
THANK YOU macmeal, for a far better reply. Culturally inappropriate for America is the better phrasing for same.
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not horrible. but if you think mexican guys are not a turn on for white girls
think again.
antonio banderas is not repulsive.
Before anyone jumps on it, Im pretty sure Antonio banderas is Spanish.

But Ive seen lots of Mexican guy-white girl pairs. Even the hardcore cholo looking guys(who are actually good people, just have the look).
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not horrible. but if you think mexican guys are not a turn on for white girls
think again.
antonio banderas is not repulsive.
Antonio Banderas is from Spain, not Mexico....and he is in fact hot!
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Before anyone jumps on it, Im pretty sure Antonio banderas is Spanish.

But Ive seen lots of Mexican guy-white girl pairs. Even the hardcore cholo looking guys(who are actually good people, just have the look).
Oops! I didn't see your post before I commented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top