Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
We already covered that part.
Which part? Your claim that it's temporary citizenship, which it clearly isn't!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Do you live in Arizona?

Why should taxpayers be footing the bill for people here illegally? When your parents moved you to Florida against your will did they expect the neighbors to feed you and put a roof over your head?

Obama has forced states to take on another burden that they can't afford. Unless you are opening your doors and taking these people into your home to care for them it is hypocritical for you to put someone else down for their beliefs. Brewer is doing what she has to do as a representative of her state. It's a refreshing change. Obama has invited 800,000 people to take a crack at competing for jobs here when citizens are out of work. It pushes wages down further. He's not representing the people of this country. He's doing something that will affect us all for decades just to get votes. Selfish!!!! Just like those that want to open our borders without taking people into their homes to care for them.
This post is a shining example of the ignorant, repugnant "**** you, I got mine" attitude of the current GOP. It's sad really. We are an extremely wealthy country, and we are more than capable of providing assistance to anyone who needs it, even the children of illegal immigrants. It's not that we can't, it's that we won't. What's worse, this is a pure political stunt on Brewer's part, a symbolic middle finger to a group of people who were just given a bit of a break.

Ayn Rand would be proud.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
This post is a shining example of the ignorant, repugnant "**** you, I got mine" attitude of the current GOP. It's sad really. We are an extremely wealthy country, and we are more than capable of providing assistance to anyone who needs it, even the children of illegal immigrants. It's not that we can't, it's that we won't. What's worse, this is a pure political stunt on Brewer's part, a symbolic middle finger to a group of people who were just given a bit of a break.

Ayn Rand would be proud.
We are a country that is $16 trilllion in debt. That is an indication that we are not a "wealthy country". How much further in debt does the country have to go to provide for every illegal and their legal/illegal children?

Look at California where hospitals have closed down and 3 states declared bankrupty. That is due to the fact that of all the services provided to illegals at no cost exceeded the budgets. Free medical, working and not paying taxes, food stamps, housing, welfare are costs to the taxpayers.

And what is happening here is a pure political stunt by Obama to get the hispanic votes.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
What's worse, this is a pure political stunt on Brewer's part, a symbolic middle finger to a group of people who were just given a bit of a break.
While I agree that she is grandstanding, I disagree that it's impacting these people at all - they simply do not meet requirements to get such things here, nor in many other states.

They can get a 2 year work permit if they petition a need for work (which may or may not allow them to meet current requirements for DI, but it seems like it does not) and can petition to avoid deportation if certain criteria are met

Being provided a stay of deportation does not reflect being here with a legally approved status, being a citizen or being on a path to citizenship.

If the later benchmarks were met then they would have access to ID, social programs, etc.

They do not, so they should not - nothing has changed in this regard from what I can tell

Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
We are a country that is $16 trilllion in debt. That is an indication that we are not a "wealthy country". How much further in debt does the country have to go to provide for every illegal and their legal/illegal children?

Look at California where hospitals have closed down and 3 states declared bankrupty. That is due to the fact that of all the services provided to illegals at no cost exceeded the budgets. Free medical, working and not paying taxes, food stamps, housing, welfare are costs to the taxpayers.

And what is happening here is a pure political stunt by Obama to get the hispanic votes.
Well first off your assertion is bonkers to begin with. Obama already got the Hispanic vote, and they won't be breaking for the GOP anytime soon.

Second, we are $16 trillion in debt (thats federal, not state debt...FYI) because save for a brief reprieve under Clinton, we've got about two decades of the disaster of supply side economics under our belts, but that is a different debate. Suffice it to say though, we solve that problem and we'd have much more money to go around for public assistance. This a rather complex situation though, and it's clear you just don't grasp that.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I'd be careful with intelligence insults after proclaiming "Obama grants temporary legal citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants" and pretty much starting off with a false premise for your discussion

besides, it does nothing but detract from any points you would want to make

Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,553 times
Quote:
Well first off your assertion is bonkers to begin with. Obama already got the Hispanic vote, and they won't be breaking for the GOP anytime soon.

Second, we are $16 trillion in debt (thats federal, not state debt...FYI) because save for a brief reprieve under Clinton, we've got about two decades of the disaster of supply side economics under our belts, but that is a different debate. Suffice it to say though, we solve that problem and we'd have much more money to go around for public assistance. This a rather complex situation though, and it's clear you just don't grasp that.
Democrats average between 60 - 70 % of the Hispanic vote when it come to the President. Republicans average between 30 - 40 % of the Hispanic vote.

You are aware that while Clinton was President, the years in which the budget was lowered was while the Republicans controlled Congress, right? You do realize if the debt crisis is solved, its not going to happen over night, right? It would be 10 - 20 years at least before we were anywhere near where we were in 2000.

It is rather a complex situation, one you grasp with utopia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I'd be careful with intelligence insults after proclaiming "Obama grants temporary legal citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants" and pretty much starting off with a false premise for your discussion

You put it well Finger Laker.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Oh believe me, I have no issue going for the intelligence issue, and it we want to keep arguing semantics over a poorly worded part of the post typed from an iPhone, I can blast right through that one too.

Regardless though, we both agree that this is nothing more than grandstanding on her part, so we have that common ground.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Arizona is not "anti immigration", they are "anti illegal immigration". ILLEGAL!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Democrats average between 60 - 70 % of the Hispanic vote when it come to the President. Republicans average between 30 - 40 % of the Hispanic vote.
Well aware, hence why I pointed out that the Hispanic vote was already a lock for Obama.

Quote:
You are aware that while Clinton was President, the years in which the budget was lowered was while the Republicans controlled Congress, right?
A) yes. B) what's your point?

Quote:
You do realize if the debt crisis is solved, its not going to happen over night, right? It would be 10 - 20 years at least before we were anywhere near where we were in 2000.
I'm well aware of this as well, and the debt is really not that high on my list of worries right now. Outside of letting the Bush tax cuts expire, I'm content to put off the debt issue Until the economy is on solid footing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration