U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,840,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well aware, hence why I pointed out that the Hispanic vote was already a lock for Obama.
Clearly, Obama issued his directive to secure the Hispanic vote.

Quote:
It’s time to say, ‘Enough with the lies, you failed us on immigration reform, and you are the most anti-immigrant president in the history of the United States,’” Alfonso Aguilar, executive director of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, said to loud applause from the group gathered at the Las Vegas Latin Chamber of Commerce.
Group seeks to define Obama as "worse than Joe Arpaio" on immigration - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Oh, and please do read the comments on the following link from the same "Dreamers" he just amnestied.

Hispanic coalition: Obama ‘most anti-immigrant president’ in U.S. history - DREAM Act Portal Forum

Quote:
A congressman from the president’s home state is threatening that he will urge Latino voters to stay home this November if the Democratic Party does not make a concerted effort to pass comprehensive immigration reform.
Dem to Obama: Push immigration or lose Latino voters at polls - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Quote:
CHICAGO (WBBM/CBS) – Congressman Luis Gutierrez said Saturday that he doesn’t know if he can support President Barack Obama’s bid for re-election in 2012 if he doesn’t do more to reform immigration policy.
“I have nothing but the greatest desire to vote for Barack Obama. I have nothing but the greatest desire to be helpful, and to join arms with him, and march across this country toward his re-election,” Gutierrez said Saturday. “But I cannot do that. We cannot do that, until we resolve the current conflict that exists between this administration and its immigration policy.”

Gutierrez is a major supporter of the DREAM Act — a federal proposal that gives illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship through college enrollment and military service.
Gutierrez: Support For Obama Depends On Immigration Reform « CBS Chicago

Quote:
The announcement on June 14 appears to have clearly erased Obama’s enthusiasm deficit among Latinos,” said Matt Barreto, a researcher at Latino Decisions and associate professor of political science at the University of Washington.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...among-latinos/

Quote:
President Obama's bombshell announcement that deportation rules will be eased to allow some young, undocumented immigrants to remain in the United States and apply for work permits could play a strong role in the upcoming presidential election.
Obama's Deportation Reform Could Affect Presidential Race, Latino Voters - ABC News

Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Not quite. I'm a very moderate independent with a slight left lean on some issues. That just *seems* radical compared to the currently insane GOP.

Having a lot of debt is not the same as being broke.

That's my point. There was no reason to do this, hence me calling it a symbolic middle finger.
Radical? Insane GOP?

A lot of debt simply means cuts to certain programs and cutting out certain programs all together, of which paying for people that should not be here to begin with is certainly a program that needs to be cut.

It looks to be more a response to claims made by the PEW Hispanic Center in their claim that illegals can get DL's. It also looks to prevent any future class action lawsuit brought about by the denial of DL's. Brewer seems to be attempting to pre-empt any issues brought up by illegals and their supporters. You seem to think its all about the fist opinionated paragraph of the article:Arizona Republican Governor Jan Brewer, in yet another clash with the White House, for which the article doesn't even prove and for which doesn't even make mention of again in the article.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,086,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
According to 48 state laws, illegal aliens are ineligible to receive driver's licenses. Obama's Dreamie gift does not change their immigration status. Nor did it change state laws. They are still illegal aliens, only now, they don't have to fear deportation. States are well within their rights to continue to deny benefits and privileges to illegal aliens.
You seem to understand this law. What if they get work and get layed off ..can they get unemployment benefits ?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You seem to understand this law. What if they get work and get layed off ..can they get unemployment benefits ?
Indeed they will. After all, Obama has granted them the legal right to work in this country. Accordingly, they are entitled to the same protections as other legal workers, including unemployment benefits if they meet the state requirements.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,798,808 times
thank you for clarifying that point.

i thank jan brewer for being born in this country, loving this country, and appreciating the citizens of her state. it's a shame we can't clone her for all the states.

brewer is very clever, as just the announcement will probably deter some illegal immigrants who will naturally gravitate towards greener pastures (california, no doubt) and burden the citizens who live in those states.

then it isn't her problem anymore-and that's how you run a state and protect your citizens.

in a slightly interesting side note, brewer was actually born in california.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,086,609 times
Quote:
Indeed they will. After all, Obama has granted them the legal right to work in this country. Accordingly, they are entitled to the same protections as other legal workers, including unemployment benefits if they meet the state requirements.
Then Jan Brewer's EO does limit them to JUST the work visa and no other state benefit.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then Jan Brewer's EO does limit them to JUST the work visa and no other state benefit.
I think she's trying to prevent them from getting driver's licenses. I'm not sure if they can be denied the right to work given their legal work status. It should be interesting.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 PM

8,956 posts, read 15,905,007 times
absolutely no denying work for those who hold the authorizations and the state will issue the permits in accordance with the directive

Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 PM

8,956 posts, read 15,905,007 times
i see nothing in the current AZ unemployment eligibility that would preclude benefits
https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=317&id=3834

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,798,808 times
Quote:
I think she's trying to prevent them from getting driver's licenses. I'm not sure if they can be denied the right to work given their legal work status. It should be interesting.
what her office said was this:

Brewer's spokesman Matt Benson told me, "The president doesn't have the authority to snap his fingers and grant lawful status or lawful presence to people here unlawfully. That's not possible. That would have to go through the legislative process and the usual checks and balances."

you would think.

what the ACLU said was this:

Estimates are that roughly 80,000 kids would qualify in Arizona. The program provides safe harbor for two years.

"There are people who are given more long-term permission to be in the United States, green card holders, for instance," she said, "What we have with this program -- authorized presence -- also means that they are here legally. That means that they are eligible for a driver's license. The expiration date on such a thing usually matches the expiration date on their status. Two years in this case. But there is a process in both state and federal law for that to happen. She (Brewer) ignored all that by issuing this order."

so, according to the ACLU, obama snaps his fingers and they are eligible for everything, including driver's licenses.

it must be good to be king, but probably not so good for those 80,000 citizen kids now forced to compete with obama and his executive mandates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or