Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas — Gov. Rick Perry has told state agencies that the Obama administration's new program allowing some illegal immigrants to avoid deportation is "a slap in the face to the rule of law," and clarified that Texas' immigration policies won't change.

In a letter to Attorney General Greg Abbott dated Aug. 16 but sent to all agency heads Monday, Perry said he was seeking to "avoid any confusion on the impact of the Obama administration's actions." He added that the federal policy confers "absolutely no legal status whatsoever to any alien who qualifies."
Perry: US immigration plan doesn't alter state law

I guess Texas can be added to the list of states that will not issue driver's licenses to Dreamies. I suspect more states will soon go on record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:38 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

I guess Texas can be added to the list of states that will not issue driver's licenses to Dreamies. I suspect more states will soon go on record.
Those states that currently issue DL's to illegal immigrants and any that might follow suit had better expect a tidalwave to their DMV offices.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,749 times
Quote:

Good for Rick.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Perry is playing politics with this issue, but, at least he is on the right side this time.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Perry's not always right this time he nailed it. Hope other states enforce their laws also.

Quote:
"a slap in the face to the rule of law and our Constitutional framework of separated powers."

Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:

Umm you do realize under Texas( Majority of the states) state law you can get a driver's license with a work permit and a social security number right?

Quote:
A spokeswoman for the governor, Catherine Frazier, said that even though the policy won't alter state law, Perry has been very clear in opposing it.
Did you notice that Perry never said anything about denying driver's licenses to dreamies? He just put out that vague statement to satisfy the rabid anti-immigrant crowd.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Umm you do realize under Texas( Majority of the states) state law you can get a driver's license with a work permit and a social security number right?

Did you notice that Perry never said anything about denying driver's licenses to dreamies? He just put out that vague statement to satisfy the rabid anti-immigrant crowd.
Dreamies are still illegal aliens. All Obama did was defer deportaion.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Dreamies are still illegal aliens. All Obama did was defer deportaion.
Quote:
People who qualify for "deferred action" status can get driver licenses if they meet other rules, such as residency requirements, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
In Arizona, Brewer signed an executive order denying driver licenses to people who qualify under the new federal policy. Nebraska Gov. Dave Heinemann has taken a similar stand.
"I don't think there's anything the kids need to worry about with the governor's (Perry's) letter. I think it was very carefully worded, intended to satisfy some constituents and, yet, leave the door open to the Latino voters that the GOP will need in the future," said Austin immigration lawyer Dan Kowalski, editor of Bender's Immigration Bulletin.
Perry blasts Obama immigration policy, but changes nothing - Houston Chronicle

Seems like it worked huh? I see the most of you fell for it.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Perry blasts Obama immigration policy, but changes nothing - Houston Chronicle

Seems like it worked huh? I see the most of you fell for it.
Quote:
While this process does not provide lawful status or a pathway to permanent residence or citizenship, individuals whose cases are deferred will not be removed from the United States for a two year period, subject to renewal, and may also receive employment authorization.
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals: Who Can Be Considered? | The White House

Quote:
All documents provided by an applicant to prove his or her lawful status in the United States. . .
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...tatusChart.pdf

Yes, Dreamies have been offered deferred action. But, sorry, their deferred action does not grant lawful status, which is one of the requirements for a DL in Texas and most states. Poor Dreamies fell for Obama's trick. He postponed their deportation. But, he has no authority to change their status from illegal to legal. Nor can he force states to issue driver's licenses, in-state tuition, or any other benefit or privilege reserved for those with lawful status.

In other words, Rick Perry was informing his agencies that a simple deferred action does not alter state laws, which still require a non-citizen to have LAWFUL status to qualify for state benefits and privileges.

You were saying?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Why do you continue to call us anti-immigrant when you know darn well we aren't? We are anti-illegal immigrant. I resent being called the former as I don't object to immigrants who are here legally. In fact I consider it to be an insult to be called anti-immigrant. Please stop doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration