U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
What he says and what he does will be two completely opposite things. Texas runs on cheap labor and they won't sack their economy.
You could be right. Only time will tell. Of course, most politicians are crooks, so I am never surprised when they flip-flop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Georgia and OK are not border states.

Look at TX, AZ and CA. You hardly ever hear of CA when it comes to deportation, border control, etc because CA is a santuary state.

AZ is tougher on illegals with their laws but also notice that once passed they are then held up in court.
TX is behind AZ in laws and once passed are also held up.

Voter ID is one of them. Texas passed a voter ID law and it cannot even be used with the upcoming elections because it's being held up in court.
Voter ID laws are less about preventing illegals from voting and more about preventing minorities in general from voting.

I support voter ID laws, but they have sweet F.A. to do with defending this state from illegals. And if that's all he has to show for 11+ years in office, it's pretty pathetic.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Voter ID laws are less about preventing illegals from voting and more about preventing minorities in general from voting.

I support voter ID laws, but they have sweet F.A. to do with defending this state from illegals. And if that's all he has to show for 11+ years in office, it's pretty pathetic.
What? How are minorities being prevented from voting?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well in Texas, Whites are in the minority and there doesn't seem to be any problem with them getting IDs.

See how silly these "talking points" become when the underlying data changes ?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:

You do realize that Whites are a minority in Texas now so does that statement still apply ?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Statistically speaking, 'minorities' (and we all know what that means, let's not play dumb) are less likely to have the required pieces of ID than whites.

Personally I would support voter ID laws as long as there was a multi-year grace period leading to the requirement and a concerted effort was made to ensure that all eligible potential voters had access to the required identification.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm one of those liberals who is also vehemently anti-illegal immigration and very much pro-second amendment. In fact I'm probably unlike most of your "liberal" stereotypes. Please stop picking fights with me over stupid stuff.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Statistically speaking, 'minorities' (and we all know what that means, let's not play dumb) are less likely to have the required pieces of ID than whites.

Personally I would support voter ID laws as long as there was a multi-year grace period leading to the requirement and a concerted effort was made to ensure that all eligible potential voters had access to the required identification.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm one of those liberals who is also vehemently anti-illegal immigration and very much pro-second amendment. In fact I'm probably unlike most of your "liberal" stereotypes. Please stop picking fights with me over stupid stuff.
Please check your private messages, thanks.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:

Ok; I DON'T know about Texas but a person can get an ID from the Arizona Motor Vehicle Dept which don't allow driving but is def good as a DL as ID. Why a person doesn't have 1 is beyond me, they're maybe 10 dollars. Sheesh!

In the eyes of many "libs"; you're NO "liberal" tho I do agree with most of what you say.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Perry is playing politics with this issue, but, at least he is on the right side this time.
They are all playing politcs with this including Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration